TC29D Wix engine and hydraulic filters: New Holland Tractor Review  -- New Holland Tractors Discussion Forum and Review TC29D Wix engine and hydraulic filters: New Holland Tractor Review -- New Holland Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > New Holland Tractor Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 11-15-2002, 14:31 Post: 45025
JimF
2002-11-15 14:31:24
 TC29D Wix engine and hydraulic filters

This is for the guys like me that don't like to pay the ridiculously high dealer prices for filters. I have been in contact with the Wix senior techical services manager and he said that they are working on adding the HST filter to their list of filters supplied for this tractor. It is the only filter (air, fuel, oil etc.) that they didn't supply. Other boomers use this same filter.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

11-15-2002, 14:57 Post: 45026
creato

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User

I would stay with the oem filter not all filters are made the same I have seen almost every brand of filter cut apart and compared to fleet Guard (oem filter mfg. for such names as CASEIH, NEW HOLLAND, JOHN DEERE, CAT, CUMMINS, ECT ECT) if you have seen what I HAVE YOU WOULDN'T QUESTION THE PRICE DIFFERENCE. HST FILTER 20 SERIES AND BOOMERS SBA340500770 LIST PRICE $16.04 MOST DEALERS IN MY AREA RUN A 10% TO 15% DISCOUNT ON FILTERS DURING SPRING OPEN HOUSE. STRIKE WHILE THE FIRES HOT. BUT IF YOU'D RATHER PUT A WILL FIT ON ITS UP TO YOU.

11-15-2002, 19:10 Post: 45035
JimFFF

Filter by User

I'm happy to stick with Wix, thanks. I've had many years experience with Wix filters and I've never had an engine or transmission failure due to lubrication problems. I think Wix is a quality product. The dealer in my area charges $20 for the HST filter and $33 for the Transmission filter. If he was more reasonable in his pricing then I would be more reasonable about driving 60 miles for his OEM products.

11-15-2002, 19:58 Post: 45039
Peters

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I guess I could cut filters in half and look inside but unless you measure the physical properties of the filter elements I am not sure what you know. As the filter material is the active element the can is just packaging.

11-16-2002, 05:56 Post: 45043
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User

Quite awhile ago somebody here did in fact cut some in half. I think a conclusion was that some of the after-market filters that cross-reference to tractor filters have less filter area than factory filters. The long thread probably is still in the archives.

I don't recall if the guy who did the work was able to conclude anything about the quality of filtering. There also are issues such as anti-drainback valves and pressure by-pass valves that after-market filters may have or lack and are different than factory filters. If I recall, after-market filters sometimes had features that factory filters lacked. Whether features such as pressure by-passes are good or bad for a tractor is anybody's guess--especially since hydraulic filters withstand suction on the outlet and engine oil filters withstand pressure on the inlet. I don't know if that actually makes any difference to desirable design and features, but hydraulic and engine oil filters do operate in different environments.

11-16-2002, 06:38 Post: 45046
creato

Filter by User

RIGHT TOM THAT IS WHAT I WAS TRYING TO GET ACCROSS BUT I GUESS SOME PLEOPLE LIKE THE COLOR OF THE CAN THE FILTER IS. THERE ARE MANY THINGS THAT MAKE UP THE FILTER MICRON IS THE SIZE OF PARTICLES THAT IT WILL FILTER OUT IS THE PAPER PLEATED, COROGATED WHAT HOLDS THE FILTER DOES IT JUST BOUNCE AROUND IN THE CAN OR IS IT ANCHORED SOME HOW. TOTAL AREA OF FILTRATION AND YOU ARE RIGHT SOME APLICATIONS THE DRAIN BACK AND BY PASS ARE OK IN OTHERS IT IS A NO NO. MY DEALERSHIP SELLS 80,000 LBS OF FILTERS A YEAR I HAVE BEEN TO MANY A FILTER MEETING BY MANY MFG. AS THEY ALL WANT YOUR BUSINESS. YOU CAN BE CONFIDENT THE OEM FILTER AND THE COMPANY MAKING IT ARE PROVIDING YOU WITH THE BEST POSSIBLE FILTER FOR THAT APPLICATION. ALSO IF YOU CHOOSE TO BUY FROM A DEALER THAT IS NOT IN LINE WITH HIS PRICING I WOULD BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO HAVE ONE OF MY PARTS PEOPLE GIVE YOU FAIR PRICES FOR TOP QUALITY OEM. FILTERS AS YOU CAN SEE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE HST. FILTER SUGGESTED LIST AND WHAT JIM IS PAYING IS CLOSE TO 20% DIFFERENCE. NOW BUY WHEN FILTERS ARE ON SALE AND IT COULD BE CLOSE TO 35% DIFFERENT. IT REALLY DOESN'T COST THAT MUCH MORE TO GO FIRST CABIN BUT YOU MAKE YOUR MONEY YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO SPEND AS YOU FEEL. WE ALL WANT TO MAKE THE BEST CHOICE FOR OUR DOLLAR AND I ALSO RESPECT THAT IF YOU ARE HAPPY WITH WHAT YOU ARE DOING THAT IS GREAT. I ON THE OTHER HAND HAVE SEEN WHAT BAD MANTAINANCE,IMPROPER OIL,POOR QUALITY FILTERS END UP COSTING THE END USER WHEN THE UNIT IS IN THE SHOP. JIM LELM, LELM IMPLEMENT INC. HARVEY N.D. 800-587-5356 FEEL FREE TO GET PRICING FROM MY PEOPLE WE WOULD BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO HELP OUT. THANK YOU HAVE A GREAT DAY

11-16-2002, 15:52 Post: 45053
Peters

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I was going to add that I had equipment in one lab I ran to measure the filter properties but the point is neither I or you can visually tell the difference between a 0.1 micron zero pass filter and a 100 micron filter. We can tell whether there is less element material and whether the can is better. I doubt you can tell the difference between a depth filter element and a simple bypass material either. If you look back the different after market filters we compared and posted.
In general the OEM manufacters are the same people producing the after market items. Just because it has the tractor companies name on the side does not make it a good filter. The Deere filters I use are of good quality and a fair price. The Agco filter for my old MF are not good quality and price therefore I use NAPA.

11-17-2002, 19:09 Post: 45076
JimFFF

Filter by User

Peters: "MF are not good quality and price therefore I use NAPA"

Wix makes NAPA filters. Here is a filter study that has a lot of good information.
http://minimopar.net/oilfilterstudy.html

11-17-2002, 19:22 Post: 45077
Peters

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Jim, my point is just because a tractor company has someone paint their name on a filter it does not necessarily mean it is a good filter. 90% of the filter performance is the media how do you know that a filter purchased on price by the tractor manufacture is better than a reputable filter manufacture?

11-17-2002, 19:40 Post: 45080
JimFFF

Filter by User

I feel exactly the same. Sometimes the bottom line dictates which parts a manufacturer uses on their equipment assembly. I've seen a lot of questionable parts used on my truck!

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > New Holland Tractor Review Forum

Thread 45025 Filter by Poster:
Billy 2 | creato 2 | David Carpenter 1 | DK35vince 1 | DRankin 1 | Jeffery Salyer 1 | JimF 1 | JimFFF 3 | MikeB 1 | Peters 3 | TC33 1 | TomG 2 | treeman 2 |

Most Viewed

+ New Holland TC33D Tractor Frame broke in Half
+ Boomer 8N CVT
+ TN-75 reliability question
+ AG vs Industrial Tires
+ Ls Tractors Rebadged New Hollands?
+ New Holland TC29D rear hydraulics
+ Need advice before Buying Ford NH 1720 tractor
+ NH 7308 LOADER ON , OFF....
+ New Holland TZ25 DA - not feeling the love!
+ TC25 Boomer Vs. Kubota B2400

Most Discussion

+ New Holland TC33D Tractor Fram
+ Liquid Tire Ballast
+ JD 4210 or TC35D????
+ New Holland TC 33D Hydraulics
+ TC 33D Blowing Fuses
+ Lights on ROPS
+ Buying TC34DA
+ Diesel Fuel
+ TC25D rear pto shaft broken
+ Boomer 8N CVT