Need help in cChoosing a Boomer Tractor: New Holland Tractor Review  -- New Holland Tractors Discussion Forum and Review Need help in cChoosing a Boomer Tractor: New Holland Tractor Review -- New Holland Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > New Holland Tractor Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 04-22-2002, 10:19 Post: 37702
Sawartist
2002-04-22 10:19:26
 Need help in cChoosing a Boomer Tractor

I am ready to buy either a TC40D or a TC45D with a loader. I am not sure if I want the supersteer option or not. The salesman told me the following. When you have a front end loader on a supersteer you have to be careful working close around objects because when you turn the steering wheel the front of the tractor will move a little sideways in the opposite direction of your turn. You could be backing up tight alongside a wall and turn to pull out away from the wall and actually hit it with the bucket due to the sideways movement. I was wondering if this is a real problem or not.

Also, I am wondering if it is worth the extra $2,000 to get the extra 5 hp of the 45D or if the 40D is the better deal because of the mid pto option.

I'd appreciate your comments.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

04-22-2002, 11:47 Post: 37708
Tom Kopf

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User

I bought the TC40D with SS and FEL last year. (100 hours so far) I would have gone for the 45 if they offered the mid PTO option. I currently don't need a mid PTO, but I sure didn't want to buy a new tractor if the need arrises in the future. I pull a very large industrial chipper through the mud sometimes and have pulled out some good sized rootballs with the bucket, and haven't missed the extra 5 HP so far. As for the SS, I do alot of work in my woods and would not want to be without it. Yes, it does move the tractor slightly in the opposite direction (2-3 inches) but that is easy to get used to. You really only notice it when standing still. It is WELL worth the $$ to me. It makes the machine act like a ZTR mower. Try both at your dealer both standing still and moving. I bought mine from a dealer 1.5 hours away. The 2 closer dealers talked down SS because thay didn't have any on the lot. I'm glad that I didn't listen to them. No regrets here, Tom

04-22-2002, 14:51 Post: 37714
Sawartist
2002-04-22 00:00:00

Thanks for the information Tom. My dealer's salesman seems slightly reluctant to sell me the super steer option and I wonder why. He says he owns a smaller SS model himself that he uses to mow his own lawn with because he has a lot of obstacles to mow around. From what I've read on this site it seems like people who have SS seem to like it very well. I'd like to hear from anybody who has had any problems with it.

Tom, you say that you pull a chipper with your 40D. I have a 5,500 lb. industrial 12" chipper with a 4cyl. diesel engine. I was wondering how much your chipper weighs. I'd like to know if I could move mine around with the 45D. I'm not sure if my chipper is heavier than yours.

The only attachments that I think would ever need a mid PTO for is a front mounted snow thrower or a mid mount mower. And I do not think that I'd ever use either one of those. Any other attachments that require a mid mount PTO? I ask this because I'm leaning toward buying the 45D which does not have the mid PTO as an option.

I'm going back to the dealer tomorrow to test drive a tractor with SS and one without. I will be making my buying decision in the next two days because the interest rates through NHC will be going up after that. So if anybody has anything bad or good to say about the Super Steer feature please post ASAP. Thanks in advance! Craig

04-22-2002, 16:28 Post: 37718
Tom Kopf

Filter by User

Sounds like our chippers are about the same size. Mine has a 6 cyl. gas motor. I bought it at a NY state equipment auction. I have no problem hauling it through 10-12 inches of slop. As for problems with SS, I've never heard anyone say that they had a problem, only that there was the potential for more problems because of more parts. I do not agree. Take the time tomorrow to give the system a good looking over. It is a great design, and really doesn't seem to have any more parts than a standard type 4wd tractor axle. Let us know how you make out.

04-22-2002, 16:31 Post: 37719
Tom Kopf

Filter by User

One other thing about the SS. I believe that only with this option you also get the Sensatrac option that allows you to not rip up your lawn when you make a sharp turn. I have R4s and haven't hurt my lawn yet.

04-22-2002, 18:07 Post: 37722
BKColeman

Filter by User

I've got a TC 40D w/ SuperSteer and I am very pleased with it. I too chose the 40D in case I ever wanted to use the mid-pto.

I love SuperSteer. It was one of the major reasons I chose NH over JD. The only time I have found the bucket movement to be a problem is when lining up to put the quick-detach bucket on. That slight movement was unsettling at first. After about the third time doing it, I drive right up with no problems. The Sensitrac clutch is a great feature in my mind too.

Link:   TC 40D vs The Stump 

04-22-2002, 18:24 Post: 37723
Tom Kopf

Filter by User

I noticed that you also had the dealer weld hooks onto the bucket Brad. Craig, I'd recommend that along with the HD bucket also.

04-22-2002, 20:45 Post: 37725
Sawartist
2002-04-22 00:00:00

Thanks Brad! Great pictures, Better than New Holland's web site. I like those hooks on the bucket too! I'll get the heavy duty bucket also.

I'll keep everyone posted on how the purchase goes.

I'm from Warrensburg NY and my dealer is Capital Tractor of Greenwich NY.

Thanks again guys! Craig

04-22-2002, 21:03 Post: 37727
Jim on Timberridge

Filter by User

I use my tractor on hillsides, and must reverse the front wheels for stability. does this cause any problems with the SS on the NH's?
And sometimes I wonder if I'm not seeing the same posts as others -- where in the BK's pics is there a bucket with hooks? all the pics i looked at show a blue lifting a stump with forks on the FEL but no bucket or hooks.
jim

04-23-2002, 04:59 Post: 37730
BKColeman

Filter by User

Jim, to see the bucket hooks you have to switch to a different gallery of photos on the same site. Try the link below. It is from delivery day.

Link:   Click Here 

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > New Holland Tractor Review Forum

Thread 37702 Filter by Poster:
BKColeman 3 | BobTheFarmer 1 | cutter 1 | Jim on Timberridge 2 | Sawartist 5 | Tom Kopf 7 | TomG 3 |

Most Viewed

+ New Holland TC33D Tractor Frame broke in Half
+ Boomer 8N CVT
+ TN-75 reliability question
+ AG vs Industrial Tires
+ Ls Tractors Rebadged New Hollands?
+ New Holland TC29D rear hydraulics
+ Need advice before Buying Ford NH 1720 tractor
+ NH 7308 LOADER ON , OFF....
+ New Holland TZ25 DA - not feeling the love!
+ TC25 Boomer Vs. Kubota B2400

Most Discussion

+ New Holland TC33D Tractor Fram
+ Liquid Tire Ballast
+ JD 4210 or TC35D????
+ New Holland TC 33D Hydraulics
+ TC 33D Blowing Fuses
+ Lights on ROPS
+ Buying TC34DA
+ Diesel Fuel
+ TC25D rear pto shaft broken
+ Boomer 8N CVT