Rear discharge mower: New Holland Tractor Review  -- New Holland Tractors Discussion Forum and Review Rear discharge mower: New Holland Tractor Review -- New Holland Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > New Holland Tractor Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 12-20-2001, 06:47 Post: 33921
Mrwurm

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Rear discharge mower

I am considering buying a TC33D with the 72 inch rear discharge mower.
I am not getting the supersteer option. Any comments on this mower or the side discharge mower. Their use, value, maintenance, etc.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

12-20-2001, 07:18 Post: 33922
BeeFarmer

Filter by User
 Rear discharge mower

I have seen where a read discharge leaves a wind row look. When you throw it out the side you can run over it in the next cut and mulch it up a bit more. With the center you normally don't run over it again.

My thoughts!

12-20-2001, 07:43 Post: 33923
Bird Senter

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 Rear discharge mower

Rear discharge leaves a windrow? Hmm, I thought that was one advantage of the rear discharge; less windrowing because it's spread across behind the mower. At least that's been my experience. In tall, thick grass only, I do get some windrowing, but not as much as when I had a side discharge mower.

12-20-2001, 07:52 Post: 33924
Mrwurm

Filter by User
 Rear discharge mower

Right now, my side discharge mower leaves me with no choice as far as discharge direction. My wife has a lot of flower garden areas that are less that ten feet apart. I must choose to blow the clippings in one garden or the other. I have a 2.5 acre lot with a lot of places where I just have to shoot the grass out the side and make a mess. My idea is that I will be happier with a rear discharge so I can go to the right or left of obstacles. I am not picky about my lawn and windrowing is not a concern.

12-20-2001, 08:33 Post: 33929
Art White

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 Rear discharge mower

When the mowers are windrowing there are reasons for it. The most common is that the grass should have been mowed sooner just the same as a side discharge. Now for the tough part, Different design mowers mow better than others in different conditions. Here in central NY we often have spring grass growth up to 3" in a week which is to much to cut weekly or less and not have windrows much less it's not good for the grass to cut 50% or more at a time. One option that doen't get addressed on the board to much is the thoughts of a flail mower. They do use more horsepower than a rotary mower but they are a rear discharge that doesn't windrow. Depending on terrain they can work well on heavier occasional use of light brush hogging.

12-20-2001, 08:58 Post: 33930
Danny Yerks

Filter by User
 Rear discharge mower

I have a Landpride FDR2572 rear discharge 72" finish mower. There's no need to go over the clippings again because this mower mulches them the first time through. The only time I have any problems with windrowing or clumping is when the grass is too tall and damp. I have one area in my yard that stays pretty moist all spring and the grass grows fast and gives me some trouble, so I just set the mower a little higher for that area until it finally dries up. Previously, I had a side discharge and it left long clippings that needed to be raked. Rear discharge has lots of advantages: can go around either CW or CCW, can trim on either side, it mulches, saves time overall because there’s less time spent maneuvering.

12-20-2001, 11:56 Post: 33933
Mrwurm

Filter by User
 Rear discharge mower

Ok, does anyone have thoughts on the following. My lawn is very rough, it never had a final grade. The NH belly mowers follow the ground contours on their four little hard wheels. Will the bumps and holes on my lawn tear up this mower? Can I use this mower as a hanging type and take the weight off the little wheels?

12-20-2001, 12:50 Post: 33934
Peters

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 Rear discharge mower

My understanding is that the wheels are there more to prevent scalping than to run contimuously on the lawn as they would for a 3pt mower. At any rate the wheel are large enough that rough ground does not affect the cut much.
With my rear discharge mower I only get wind rowing if I have leaves or needles on the grass. They are not nicely difined. With the side discharge I had I could blow the leaves into wind row and then rake them into my trailer.
As stated before different glass and different locations require different solutions. I have centipee in the yard. It does not grow very high and therefore without the wind rows I find it more difficult to determine where I have cut

12-20-2001, 15:30 Post: 33936
Danny Yerks

Filter by User
 Rear discharge mower

My lawn is also kind of rough in places. That's one of the reasons I didn't get the belly mower. Not because I was worried about tearing it up, but because the track width of the wheels are pretty far apart, since they're way out at the edges of the deck, and that would result in more problems with scalping. The Landpride pull behind has the caster wheels closer together. Plus, the Landpride has a deeper deck, which provides better mulching. Another advantage of the rear type is that it's easier to clean the underside of it since I can raise it way up. Of course, I always put jack stands under it before I go under it! However, I can see where the belly mower would be easier to operate, since there’s no swinging out on turns and you don’t have to look behind you so much. Price was another issue for me, since the belly mower was much more expensive.

12-20-2001, 16:05 Post: 33937
Bird Senter

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 Rear discharge mower

I agree, Danny, and another consideration is the fact that the 3-point mower can be used with different tractors while a belly mower is brand specific; hard to sell if you want to change mowers, and if you ever change tractors, you have to also change mowers.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > New Holland Tractor Review Forum

Thread 33921 Filter by Poster:
Art White 1 | BeeFarmer 2 | Bird Senter 2 | Danny Yerks 2 | Mrwurm 4 | Peters 1 | Tim Connolly 2 | treeman 1 | VA Yankee 1 |

Most Viewed

+ New Holland TC33D Tractor Frame broke in Half
+ Boomer 8N CVT
+ TN-75 reliability question
+ AG vs Industrial Tires
+ Ls Tractors Rebadged New Hollands?
+ New Holland TC29D rear hydraulics
+ Need advice before Buying Ford NH 1720 tractor
+ NH 7308 LOADER ON , OFF....
+ New Holland TZ25 DA - not feeling the love!
+ TC25 Boomer Vs. Kubota B2400

Most Discussion

+ New Holland TC33D Tractor Fram
+ Liquid Tire Ballast
+ JD 4210 or TC35D????
+ New Holland TC 33D Hydraulics
+ TC 33D Blowing Fuses
+ Lights on ROPS
+ Buying TC34DA
+ Diesel Fuel
+ TC25D rear pto shaft broken
+ Boomer 8N CVT