new holland or john deere?: New Holland Tractor Review  -- New Holland Tractors Discussion Forum and Review new holland or john deere?: New Holland Tractor Review -- New Holland Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > New Holland Tractor Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 07-26-2001, 18:17 Post: 30414
berry man

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 new holland or john deere?

I am considering the New Holland tc45 and the John Deere 4700 for my first tractor. The tractor will be used on my three acre orchard and berry farm. It will be used for spraying,tilling,bush hog,and winter snow removal. The John Deere is a little over two thousand more than the Boomer. I like the Boomers styling but the 4700 has a wet clutch and two more hp. Any opinions?

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

07-27-2001, 09:09 Post: 30437
Danny Yerks

When I was shopping for a tractor I had it narrowed down to JD and NH also. I ended up with the NH for 2 reasons. 1) That green paint is expensive! The JD had less for more $. 2) The NH dealer was much much better to deal with. The JD dealer acted like he didn't care if I bought a tractor from him or not.

It seems to me $1000 per HP is pretty expensive.

07-27-2001, 09:36 Post: 30439
BeeFarmer

Filter by User

I too have been looking at both. I went to a JD dealer this weekend and was amazed at the lack of options the JD had compared to the NH. "And the price difference" The NH had 3pt telescoping linkage, and the JD did not as a standard. The NH had drop down ROP and the JD didn't. The NH had better twist seating and the JD didn't. And a few other things I can't remember.. HOWEVER the JD did have a drink holder!!!!

07-27-2001, 09:49 Post: 30441
Stephen R. Cebenko

Beefarmer,

Gotta love that cup holder.

07-27-2001, 10:31 Post: 30443
MarkS

Filter by User

The NH has a drink holder standard on the TC D series tractors too. Of course it is NEVER used for an occasional Budweiser. One thing to try out with the JD and the NH is the power of the Hydrostat. I was a little surprised when my TC40D wouldn't pull up a hill in High range, in "rabbit" Mode. It does fine if I switch into "Turtle" but it caught me of gaurd the first time it happened. I'm not sure if the Deere would perform any better, as this is the first Hydrostat machine I have owned. Mark

07-27-2001, 11:55 Post: 30444
BeeFarmer

Filter by User

Yes.. there is a cup holder on the 35 and up. I was looking at the comparison of the 33. I should of said that! Also... interesting enough I tested the 35 and found that the 33 pulled a lot better up the hills than the 35.. I am not surprised at you comments. I mentioned that issue in the past in this forum how I was dissappointed with the 35.

07-27-2001, 17:35 Post: 30454
berry man

Filter by User

The Boomer I was considering was the regular tc45 with the 12/12 transmission not the Deluxe. Would it still be worth purchasing if it is not available with the cup holder? I don't think it comes with the fancy rubber mats either.

07-29-2001, 10:48 Post: 30484
Al

IMHO I would suggest you go with the NH over the JD. I've owned the JD4300 and currently own the 4400 and still cannot find a single thing to suggest that the Deere are better and worth the extra money over the NH. I've given JD my money twice just to be sure I was being objective. The next time it well be either blue or orange. NH gives you much more for the money and JD's response will be the new even higher priced 4x10 series. But the number 1 reason I suggest any color over green is the corporate attitude on service. When you spend $20-30K on any purchase, it's a major purchase and the after purchase service should be there. JD's corporate protocol for dealers is to always deny there is a problem with their tractors or it's operator error like everyone who owns green has an IQ below 50. Even if you have a great dealer who is responsive, his hands are tied because in order to perform any warranty work he has to get approval from the JD service tech rep first or they won't get reimbursed on their parts and labor. One kick more is that the allotted time JD gives their dealers to do the warranty repair is never realistic so right off the bat the dealer knows he will be eating labor cost. JD's corporate stances is that the burden of proof on any problems you may have with owning one of their tractors falls on you and they will be glad to honor their warranty if your patience can endure their poor consumer relations protocol. Be a wise objective buyer and ask the dealers about warranty service. Ask if they make their own decisions or a corporate rep decides. -The issue of not being able to go up a hill in high gear is the same with a JD hydro. The high range is meant for transport with low and mid being working ranges.

07-29-2001, 12:41 Post: 30491
Chris in IN

I have a JD 4400 hydro. My experence seems to be the opposite of the others. In my area NH & Kubota are higher priced than JD. My dealer has been great. They have picked up & delivered my tractor for all repairs at no charge. I have never had to fight to get something covered under warranty. I do not understand the statement that JD is less of a tractor than the others. The things that sold me on JD over the others were the following. 1)turning brakes that could be used on a hydro 2)liked 2 hydro pedals better than 1 3)loader was easer to remove & install 4) Backhoe was much easer to install & remove.

07-30-2001, 10:16 Post: 30504
JeffM

Filter by User

I'm with Chris on this one also. I found no significant price differences between JD, NH, and Kubota on the best deals I could get, even though I found huge price differences on each of the three brands across different dealers. My dealer's service and warranty support has been excellent, even though he is an ag dealer and compacts are not his highest priority, especially in the spring. And as far as tractor-to-tractor comparison, I have consistently stated on this board that while I think NH has the best ergonomics (swivel seat, control lever locations, standard telescoping 3-point), JD has it all over the rest in implement features and ease of attachment/detachment (standard quik-tach bucket on loader, backhoe and loader attach/detach, belly mower compatibility with loader and backhoe, belly mower attach/detach, etc.) And nothing will start as well as the Deere in cold weather (direct injection with pre-heater) or if you run out of fuel (self-bleeding fuel system). Try them out before you buy.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > New Holland Tractor Review Forum

Thread 30414 Filter by Poster:
Al 1 | BeeFarmer 2 | berry man 4 | Chris in IN 1 | Danny Yerks 1 | harvey 1 | JeffM 3 | kay 2 | MarkS 2 | Stan_McC 1 | Stephen R. Cebenko 1 |

Most Viewed

+ New Holland TC33D Tractor Frame broke in Half
+ Boomer 8N CVT
+ TN-75 reliability question
+ AG vs Industrial Tires
+ Ls Tractors Rebadged New Hollands?
+ New Holland TC29D rear hydraulics
+ Need advice before Buying Ford NH 1720 tractor
+ NH 7308 LOADER ON , OFF....
+ New Holland TZ25 DA - not feeling the love!
+ TC25 Boomer Vs. Kubota B2400

Most Discussion

+ New Holland TC33D Tractor Fram
+ Liquid Tire Ballast
+ JD 4210 or TC35D????
+ New Holland TC 33D Hydraulics
+ TC 33D Blowing Fuses
+ Lights on ROPS
+ Buying TC34DA
+ Diesel Fuel
+ TC25D rear pto shaft broken
+ Boomer 8N CVT