Instrument Panel Fogging: New Holland Tractor Review  -- New Holland Tractors Discussion Forum and Review Instrument Panel Fogging: New Holland Tractor Review -- New Holland Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > New Holland Tractor Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 03-01-2001, 01:22 Post: 24836
Diesel Dave

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Instrument Panel Fogging

This question is for all you owners of New Holland TC series tractors that live in the colder climate of this great country of ours. When I take my TC33D out to plow snow in temperatures of 20 degrees or lower the I.P fogs up so bad I can hardly read it. This only happens after I take it out of an unheated garage into the cold and the engine reaches normal operating temp. Does this happen to anyone else? I have seen a few postings on this problem but I haven't seen or heard of a cure. When I contacted my dealer he said he hasn't heard of anyone else having a problem. He then immediately ordered a new I.P for me to try. It was installed only to find out that it does the same thing! I then took it upon myself to take sealed bags of fiberglass insulation and pack them in the cavity behind the I.P hoping to stop the transfer of heat from the engine to the dash.This also did not work, it still gets fogged up and by now I'm getting a little steamed myself ! I am now looking for a rocket scientist to figure out how I can prevent this. Not really, just someone smarter than me which I'm pretty sure is 97% of the population. Thanks all for any input. Diesel Dave

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

03-01-2001, 06:20 Post: 24842
BillMullens

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 Instrument Panel Fogging

I have no solution. But my TC29 fogs, too. I just try to ignore it.

Bill Mullens
WV

03-01-2001, 09:07 Post: 24850
Murf

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Instrument Panel Fogging

Dave, while I do not have a NH in the fleet, we do have the same problem with several of our compacts. First, the cause, when the machine heats up (summer or winter) the air in the instrument panel (IP) expands and some of the air in there gets forced out, when the machine later cools off the air condenses and outside humid air gets pulled in (the same process creates most of the 'water' in your fuel tank). When you first start your machine the humidity is there, but frozen, as the machine warms up it condenses on the lens of the IP because it is warming up but the outside air is cold. The solution, remove the IP, or at least get access to the rear of it, and carefully make a small hole or two with a drill, anybody who had an older Chrysler product is all too familiar with the process, anything with a 318 V8 had the same problem in the distributor and in wet weather they ran great cold or hot, but in between were a bear to keep running. Best of luck.

03-01-2001, 10:45 Post: 24858
Diesel Dave

Filter by User
 Instrument Panel Fogging

Murf, Thanks for the input.I don't know if water gets into the cavity behind the panel when I wash it but just in case it does I'll drill 2 small holes in the backside bottom of I.P and give it a shot. This wasn't a "work stopping" problem, just one that was very annoying and just gave me another reason to pray for spring to get here "soon"! Love the tractor and if thats the only problem I'm going to have with the it I'll be a happy camper, but I'm still going to pray for spring to get here early! Dave

03-01-2001, 17:03 Post: 24880
Jeff B

Instrument Panel Fogging

I have the same problem with my TC33D. Like Bill I've basically ignored it. - JeffB

03-01-2001, 21:19 Post: 24891
Mike S.

Filter by User
 Instrument Panel Fogging

No insult intended here, but I wonder if JD and NH shared an engineer since many of the dash glasses of the earlier 4200+ tractors had dash glasses that also fogged up. I also wonder if it is possible to remove the glass and treat the inside surface with the antifogging chemical used for motorcycle helmet visors??

03-02-2001, 00:37 Post: 24900
Diesel Dave

Filter by User
 Instrument Panel Fogging

Mike, That was the first thing I tried. I have a brother thats a real motorcycle enthusiast and he gave me some high dollar anti-fogging solution from a cycle shop.I dismantled the dash and put 3 coats of the solution on the inside of the clear shield and it didn't help a bit.I think they know they have a problem but still haven't done anything about it. I have seen owners of JD's and also the new TC35, TC40 and 45's on another site complain about it too. I believe Murf summed the problem up pretty well. I'll try his remedy which I hope will help. Like I said its not a major thing but it got so bad one real cold day that I couldn't even read the temp.and fuel gauge. Dave

03-02-2001, 09:05 Post: 24914
Murf

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Instrument Panel Fogging

The anti-fog treatment is a good idea, but only treats the 'symptoms' NOT the 'disease', the fogging is only, as was mentioned, only a nuisance, however the moisture WILL eventually cause corrosion in the IP, why wait till that happens. The fix is relatively easy, almost free, and permanent..... Best of luck.

03-02-2001, 21:35 Post: 24941
Mike S.

Filter by User
 Instrument Panel Fogging

Murf--eventually JD issued a PIP that permitted dealers to replace the fogging dash glasses with ones that do not fog. Since mine was replace six months ago, it has not fogged up since. There is no reason that NH cannot replace the defective dash glasses. This might be a situation where people find out if NH is sensitive to their customers' needs.

03-05-2001, 14:09 Post: 25055
Murf

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Instrument Panel Fogging

Mike, or was it just a case where a manufacturer screwed up by putting something stupid on a machine, not testing adequately, and then covering the part that should have been there all the time under warranty, cause they're such a nice bunch of people?

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > New Holland Tractor Review Forum

Thread 24836 Filter by Poster:
BillMullens 1 | Diesel Dave 3 | gary 1 | Jeff B 1 | Jeff Earthwerks Unlimited 1 | Jim on Timberridge 1 | Kenny 1 | Mike S. 3 | Murf 4 | Tree Farmer 2 | wgb 1 |

Most Viewed

+ New Holland TC33D Tractor Frame broke in Half
+ Boomer 8N CVT
+ TN-75 reliability question
+ AG vs Industrial Tires
+ Ls Tractors Rebadged New Hollands?
+ New Holland TC29D rear hydraulics
+ Need advice before Buying Ford NH 1720 tractor
+ NH 7308 LOADER ON , OFF....
+ New Holland TZ25 DA - not feeling the love!
+ TC25 Boomer Vs. Kubota B2400

Most Discussion

+ New Holland TC33D Tractor Fram
+ Liquid Tire Ballast
+ JD 4210 or TC35D????
+ New Holland TC 33D Hydraulics
+ TC 33D Blowing Fuses
+ Lights on ROPS
+ Buying TC34DA
+ Diesel Fuel
+ TC25D rear pto shaft broken
+ Boomer 8N CVT