Operating Temp: New Holland Tractor Review  -- New Holland Tractors Discussion Forum and Review Operating Temp: New Holland Tractor Review -- New Holland Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > New Holland Tractor Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 02-02-2001, 17:56 Post: 23892
Michigander

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
  Operating Temp

My TC40D does not warm up. It is a new tractor and the dealer has been out to replace the thermostat but the only way to get the gauge to register even close to the Green range is to put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator. I am in Michigan and it has been quite cold here (teens or lower) but I thought I should get some reading on the gauge without resorting to the cardboard. I am concerned that this is not good for the engine to run cold all the time. Anyone else have this problem or is it normal?

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

02-02-2001, 18:39 Post: 23893
Bird Senter

TP Contributor

Operating Temp

From what I've read on the forums, as well as my own experience, most of us with Kubotas and New Hollands both have temperature gauges that read very low, even in hot weather.

02-03-2001, 02:04 Post: 23905
JonB

Operating Temp

First, congratulations on your new tractor. In your situation, I'd ask the dealer to warm up a TC40D on his lot and compare the temperature readings. You can compare this with your machine on the same day and approximate temperature. I guess it sounds like a real problem since the dealer agreed to replace a thermostat, but it might be he doesn't operate tractors that much. The dealer probably starts one and demonstrates it daily, but probably doesn't spend hours in the seat working in all kinds of weather. So, I'd ask him to start another machine and warm it up. Best of luck. JonB

02-03-2001, 05:43 Post: 23912
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User
  Operating Temp

As others noted, the dealer should be able to say what is normal, and gauges on some models do seem to read low. My Ford 1710 puffs some smoke on acceleration until it gets up to operating temperature. At operating temp, there's very little smoke. That may be a good test for telling if the engine is warming up enough for normal operation. I'm not sure how feasible it is to design a cooling system for all climates. By comparison, my dad had a place in Arizona where people shut off their hot water eaters during the summer. The water going through the city system gets hot enough for comfortable showers. May be that cardboard isn't a bad solution.

02-03-2001, 06:55 Post: 23916
RickB.

Operating Temp

This is a common complaint on the class III TC's. It has been suggested that coolant is bypassing from the radiator to the block via the common coolant drain located on the right side of the engine/radiator. The jury is still out on this, because the common drain has been used for over 10 years on NH and Ford compacts. The difference MAY be that these tractors are the biggest NH's with hydrostatic transmissions. The cooling systems may be designed larger to cool the engine after air has been 'preheated' by the oil cooler. You could try pinching off the drain tube and see if the temp runs higher in similar conditions. If you choose to try this, please let me know what you find, either post here or email me. Thanks, RickB.

02-03-2001, 08:10 Post: 23920
Art White

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
  Operating Temp

Anytime you put cardboard in front of the radiator you should cover it competely and cut a round hole at the center of your fan. The blades on the fan are continually flexing as to where they can draw air and where they can't. This causes the blades to weaken with time and will break the blades off. Seen it several times and it's not to alarm anyone because I've never seen it happen on new units but by ten years time it can happen.

02-03-2001, 09:00 Post: 23921
Roger L.

Filter by User
  Operating Temp

The first thing that you should ask the dealer to check is the gauge and sender. Dunking the sender in a pan of near-boiling water should do the trick. For lower temperatures, I use a remote sensing digital thermometer from Radio Shack (about $15.00) as my master meter. Checked it against a lab thermometer and it is within a degree.
If your gauge checks out I see nothing wrong with the cardboard. During the winter and when doing light work my compact takes forever to heat up. But when a diesel is working hard they generate a lot of heat. In general diesels operate over a wider heat/load range than a gasoline engine.

02-03-2001, 10:23 Post: 23926
Rick Seymour

Filter by User
  Operating Temp

I'm in SE Michigan & running in the same outside temps as you. My TC29D has to be running at 2000 RPM or above to come to working temp. Working temp is about 1/2 way on the gauge. I'll get some smoke until the engine has had 5 - 10 minutes to warm up. Once I get about 1/2 way to operating temp I have no smoke.

The hydraulics also scream until they warm up. In the winter I start the enginge with the clutch depressed so as to take all the load off the starter & engine. After 2 or 3 minutes I release the clutch & then will (with the range lever in neutral) depress the HST pedal & keep it down till the engine regains its RPM. This whole process only takes about 10 minutes but all systems are happier if the are warmed up.

Years ago I did the same with my CJ5 jeep by putting the transfer case in neutral and the trany in first gear. Of course those were the days of 90 weight manual transmission fluid & you could not physically shift the thing if you did not warm it up.

02-03-2001, 11:24 Post: 23927
Roger L.

Filter by User
  Operating Temp

Sounds like a good excuse to get a block and tranny heater.

02-04-2001, 08:01 Post: 23937
Rick Seymour

Filter by User
  Operating Temp

You're right Roger. Last winter never got cold and snowy enough at the same time for starting to be an issue. However, this winter is a different story in Michigan. I will probably have them installed when I send it to the dealer for it's 200 hr checkup/service about 20 hours from now.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > New Holland Tractor Review Forum

Thread 23892 Filter by Poster:
Art White 3 | Bird Senter 1 | JonB 1 | Michigander 2 | Peter Accorti 1 | Rick Seymour 2 | RickB. 1 | Roger L. 4 | Todd Peirce 1 | Tom Lucent 1 | TomG 3 |

Most Viewed

+ New Holland TC33D Tractor Frame broke in Half
+ Boomer 8N CVT
+ TN-75 reliability question
+ AG vs Industrial Tires
+ Ls Tractors Rebadged New Hollands?
+ New Holland TC29D rear hydraulics
+ Need advice before Buying Ford NH 1720 tractor
+ NH 7308 LOADER ON , OFF....
+ New Holland TZ25 DA - not feeling the love!
+ TC25 Boomer Vs. Kubota B2400

Most Discussion

+ New Holland TC33D Tractor Fram
+ Liquid Tire Ballast
+ JD 4210 or TC35D????
+ New Holland TC 33D Hydraulics
+ TC 33D Blowing Fuses
+ Lights on ROPS
+ Buying TC34DA
+ Diesel Fuel
+ TC25D rear pto shaft broken
+ Boomer 8N CVT