Trailering a NHTC21D: New Holland Tractor Review  -- New Holland Tractors Discussion Forum and Review Trailering a NHTC21D: New Holland Tractor Review -- New Holland Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > New Holland Tractor Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] |
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 10-26-2000, 19:54 Post: 20903
Jerry Riordan

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster
 Trailering a NHTC21D

I looking to get a trailer to haul my NH21D with FEL and midmower around (approx. 2300lbs total weight). I was courious what type of trailers any of you are using. The tractor measures 12' from edge of bucket to end of 3pt. I am concerned that a 12' trailer will not give enough movement to adjust the tongue weight. Also what are your opinions on trailer brakes, are they necessary for safe hauling of a tractor this size. Any thoughts ?

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

10-26-2000, 21:01 Post: 20924
Bird Senter

TP Contributor

Trailering a NHTC21D

Jerry, do you ever intend to trailer the tractor with an implement on the 3-point hitch? I use, and prefer, a 16' tandem axle trailer. You'll have better stability with a two axle than a single axle trailer. What kind of vehicle are you going to pull the trailer with? How long a distance do you intend to tow it? What kind of roads; Interstate, State Highways, Farm Roads? Paved, level, hilly, etc.? What speed do you intend to drive? Trailer brakes are preferable, especially if the weight of the trailer and load exceed 40% of the weight of the towing vehicle, but they are not always necessary. Sorry if this doesn't help much, but I've been towing a variety of trailers for over 40 years and you just didn't provide enough information for me to give you a definitive answer.

10-28-2000, 14:25 Post: 20966
Jeff H.

Trailering a NHTC21D

I use either a 16' tandem car trailer with the 3500# axles and 2" ball hitch or my 14' gooseneck beaver tail for pulling a 4600 with 460 loader and finishing mower behind a 4wd fullsize truck. You can easily pull it 20 - 30 miles if you take your time at starting and stopping unless you like to replace brakes. Yes, brakes are nice and a sensible idea to be a responsible driver if you plan on doing custom work like I do and have it on the road alot.

2 cents worth

10-29-2000, 19:00 Post: 21008
Larry in MI.

Trailering a NHTC21D

Jerry, I have a JD4100 with FEL. I use a 16' dual axle trailer with electric brakes. I haul it with a full size 4wd pickup. I have driven it on all types of roads without a problem. I suspect the TC21 is about the same size as the JD4100. I could have went with a 14' trailer but wanted the extra capacity to carry the ballast box, tiller, and mower deck. Besides, it may be useful if I buy a larger tractor. I am very happy I have the trailer brakes. They were somewhat of a project to install but well worth the time and effort.

11-03-2000, 23:11 Post: 21205
Peter Tarnawskyj

Trailering a NHTC21D

I have a NH21D. Use a 16 foot landscape trailer I got at Central Tractor last year for $1500. It is rated at 7,000 lbs. and has no problem carrying the 21D with a 5' rotary cutter (barely fits, I don't know how it would work if the NH also had a loader). I use a Ford F-250 super duty as a tow vehicle. Took it to my father in laws place in PA a few weeks back (130 miles one way) with no problem. Just always make sure the tractor is tied down well. I also use the same trailer for a JD 850 with a loader and small Kelley backhoe and it works well if I swing the backhoe boom to the side. I feel electric brakes and dual axles are a must for towing equipment of any size. I wouldn't go with anything less than 16 foot if you're going to haul the tractor with a 3PH implement attached.

11-04-2000, 07:15 Post: 21210
Rob Munach

Trailering a NHTC21D

I would be very wary of buying a landscape trailer for hauling a tractor. There are some that would be OK, but many of the ones I have seen have very weak gate/ramps and weak rear ends. I have seen countless examples of the rear end of the trailer bent down during the loading process. You can usualy get an equipment trailer for the same price as a landscape trailer. Equipment trailers typically have stronger ramps and frames and have better tie-down locations.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] |

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > New Holland Tractor Review Forum

Thread 20903 Filter by Poster:
Bird Senter 1 | Jeff H. 1 | Jerry Riordan 1 | Larry in MI. 1 | Peter Tarnawskyj 1 | Rob Munach 1 |

Most Viewed

+ New Holland TC33D Tractor Frame broke in Half
+ Boomer 8N CVT
+ TN-75 reliability question
+ AG vs Industrial Tires
+ Ls Tractors Rebadged New Hollands?
+ New Holland TC29D rear hydraulics
+ Need advice before Buying Ford NH 1720 tractor
+ NH 7308 LOADER ON , OFF....
+ New Holland TZ25 DA - not feeling the love!
+ TC25 Boomer Vs. Kubota B2400

Most Discussion

+ New Holland TC33D Tractor Fram
+ Liquid Tire Ballast
+ JD 4210 or TC35D????
+ New Holland TC 33D Hydraulics
+ TC 33D Blowing Fuses
+ Lights on ROPS
+ Buying TC34DA
+ Diesel Fuel
+ TC25D rear pto shaft broken
+ Boomer 8N CVT