Go Bottom Go Bottom

New Holland TC26DA starter problems

View my Photos
tombar
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2016-05-29          195244

I have a New Holland TC26DA that has an electrical problem.
It will not start with the key. No clicking.
If I run a wire from the battery to the starter and use a jumper to jump power to the fuel pump, the tractor starts and runs fine. Any ideas?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Imfedup

2016-05-29          195246

Once again, a symptom with very few details. In order for anyone to offer any suggestions, you need to provide some information. Gear drive or HST? That may or may not matter, but who knows? What else doesn't work? Gauges, warning lights, headlights, glow plugs? Have ALL fuses been checked? Not just those in the fuse panel. There may be one or two 40A fuses in the harness, usually not far from the starter, down low near the back of the engine. They can be hard to see since everything is black, probably dirty, and they have black plastic covers over them. ....

View my Photos
tombar

2016-05-31          195276

Sorry about the lag in information, but I wanted to have fuses on hand before I repied to you.
I havefound and replaced all of the fuses that are on the tractor,including the 2 40amp fuses that you mentioned.
The tractor is an HST. All headlights,warning lights& guages seem to be working fine. Bought the tractor used with a little under 700hrs. on it. It now has 719hrs.
From the time I brought it home the glow plug light burned continuesly, it now does not burn at all.
That is the only light that I have had problems with. The 2 40amp fuses tested fine , although one of them was melted. ....

View my Photos
Imfedup

2016-05-31          195279

Okay, it sounds like your issue is not in the supply circuit but mainly the cranking circuit. I believe you stated adding a jumper wire to the fuel stop solenoid allowed you to get it started. Does that mean there is no power there with the key on?

I have a PDF service manual covering the TC25, It was Emailed to me, and quite possibly I can forward it to you if you're interested. The TC 25 is the earlier version of the TC 26. I'm sure there will be some differences, but also many similarities. The PDF is kind of a nuisance to navigate through, but it's good information if you have the patience. ....

View my Photos
tombar

2016-05-31          195281

That is incorrect, there is power to the fuel when the key is on. I can start the motor with just the jumper from the battery to the starter.
I am interested in theservice manual if you think that it is possible. ....

View my Photos
Imfedup

2016-05-31          195283

I can't promise that I'm capable of sending it, but I can try. The person who sent it to me said I might need a Gmail account to receive it. My Email happens to be with Gmail, and I had no trouble receiving it. If you give me an address, I will give it a try. You can send it by private message if you wish. ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2016-06-01          195286

FIRST PART HERE: VERY IMPORTANT you could be bypassing safety switch when running jumper wires: you can not be too carefully to be sure tractor is NOT in gear when doing so. Verify and verify again, there have been those killed when any power machine cranks in gear with no one is the seat.

Tombar, in running wire to the starter are you bypassing the starter solenoid? If you are think it is the solenoid.
But to basics: you have check fuses and verified they are fine. So lets begin in the beginning, the battery. Know the battery is fine for running second cable it cranks the engine. But how about the cable connections on the batter itself? The cable you are running how does it connect to the batter, if over the cable clamps that should mean good connection there, but if not then check the clamp you are bypassing.

Now the positive cable, the one you are running jumper for take it loose from the solenoid and clean that connection and oh back to the clamp on the battery end and this end be sure that cable is good inside those ends also.

Battery cables do fail and their connections do corrode and the problem can be hard to see, so remove and look carefully. On any battery cable clamps or ends you remove clean then with wire brush or medium sandpaper. They can glaze off and break the connection.

If not in that be sure power is coming back to the solenoid from the key switch to engage the solenoid. That is easy to test if you do not have any test light or meter, run a hot jumper to that post on the solenoid, if it work then you know.

IF no power is going the post to engage the solenoid from the key switch check all safety switches. If you have meter or test light see if power is to them and through them, check both terminals to see if both have power with key in start position. If one end does and the other does not bad switch or it needs adjusting.

Be careful and relax you will find it. kt

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login