Go Bottom Go Bottom

New Hollan PTO trouble shooting

View my Photos
psteele
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-05-16          170823

The PTO shaft on my New Holland stops turning when my tiller attachment encounters moderate resistance. If I raise the tiller to reduce resistance or increase rpms it will start turning again. It is not the clutch on the tiller as that does not slip. Rather the PTO shaft stops turning. I do not know if there is an internal PTO clutch that may be slipping. Worried about something more serious.

Any thoughts?

Phil Steele

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-05-16          170827

I'm not up on New Hollands, but I think most every domestic compact tractor uses hydraulic pressure to keep the clutch engaged, then lets the pressure collapse when you turn it off. Makes me wonder if you aren't getting enough pressure to the clutch, maybe a clogged hydraulic filter or a weak pump. I'd sure have it checked before something expensive gets buggered up inside.
Frank. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-05-16          170837

Sounds like you have a non-hydro (gear drive) trans correct? If so you probably have a double clutch aka two stage. Perhaps it is out of adjustment but more likely it's worn out.

What does the repair manual show? What ----you don't have one? DOH! Better get one! It's a fair amount of work to separate a tractor. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login