Go Bottom Go Bottom

Stripped bolts in clutch case TC24DA

View my Photos
kevin3251
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-05-11          170677

I always had problems keeping the bolts tight that held the frame for the mid mount mower (914A) to the clutch case and finally the mounting points cracked.Dose anyone have a idea what this might cost to repair? I already tried Helicoils and they pulled out.It ,the clutch case,would have to be welded or replaced I think

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-05-11          170699

Or you could get a rear mower and sell the mid. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-05-11          170701

I'm not familliar with your tractor, but I assume the housing is either cast iron or cast aluminum. If the cracks are accessable with a welder then perhaps it can be repaired. Both can be welded, but it takes a better welder than me to do aluminuim. Frank. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-05-11          170703

Kevin, it sound like you're putting the cart before the horse.

You better find out why the bolts wouldn't stay tight and what caused the cracks before you worry about fixing it.

If all you do is fix it without solving the problem that caused the damage in the first place it will just happen again.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kevin3251

2010-05-11          170715

I am pretty sure bumping into trees and the occasional rock growing out of the lawn is the reason it broke! I thought about the rear mower suggestion but I want to investigate all my options first. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2010-05-12          170728

I'd be more than surprised if the odd bump from a rock or root did any damage at all to it.

Don't forget, the mower hangs down on linkage, there's lots of room for movement in the whole thing before it gets to the point of putting much stress on the mounts.

Also, unless I'm missing something, you said it's the mounts in the clutch housing that broke. If the damage was from stress caused by bumping into things it would show up first in the front mounts, not the back ones.

That is unless you cut the grass in reverse. ;)

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2010-05-12          170729

I think you'd have to drain and preferably remove the housing before welding. ....

View my Photos
kevin3251

2010-05-13          170737

I believe the housing is dry inside.The front bolt holes are cracked from the deck rotating on the loose bolts ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2010-05-13          170743

If the maker or a dealer won't specify what it's made of, it's likely cast but a magnet will tell if it's aluminum. Bring photos to a specialty welding shop for an opinion. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-05-13          170746

You're going to have to have it repaired or replaced anyway so you might as well take it apart and get it off the machine.

A picture might help, but no one will be able to accurately determine if they can fix it just by a picture--if they do they'll likely either give you a cheap quote (and later inflate it) or double it just be sure they're covered. A good repairman doesn't quote off a picture.

If it can be welded whether aluminum or iron it will have to be evenly heated in an oven or by open flame so it will have to be stripped of any parts and off the machine.

A few years ago on TV there was a specialty aluminum rod that required only a propane torch. Never used it myself but looks like it may do the trick. Anyone used this product? ....

View my Photos
oneace

2010-05-13          170751

They are made of cast Iron. How long are the cracks? Are all of the holes cracked or just a few, and which ones, ie.left lower front, right top rear, ect. I am assuming you used regular HELECOIL. I would not use that brand there. There are good for low stress points but there are better products for high stress points. The link below has a better option. The insert on the far left is ideal IF the cracks are not very big. ....

Link:   High stress thread insert.

View my Photos
oneace

2010-05-13          170752

One other thing. What is the condition of the Belleville washers under the head of the bolts. Are they flat or do the still have a cup and ridges to them? ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-05-13          170753

Oneace, I need several hundred $ worth, maybe $1000 of NH skid steer OEM parts. Do you know of any dealers who have the best prices? I found there can be as much as $80 difference on a $300 part--my local dealer being the highest. ....

View my Photos
kevin3251

2010-05-13          170755

The washers were flat or had little bend to them.Is it easy to split the tractor and then get it back together?
I am layed off right now and have the time and I believe I know what I'm doing but I never worked on a tractor befor!
The washers are flat with a serrated face( I don't think these are Belleville washers)
As far as the condition of the casting,the two in the rear are cracked and have pieces missing,the two in the front are stripped ....

View my Photos
oneace

2010-05-14          170777

If the washers are flat that is why the blots won't stay tight.

If you have at least three holes that are not cracked ( at least the top two on each side and a bottom hole) I would recommend using the right insert to repair the messed up threads. Get new Belleville washers (or Lock washers) Use BLUE loc tite in the threads and forget about the back holes that are cracked unless you are using a loader.

With a another attachment (can't remember what it is) only three holes are used from new. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-05-14          170783

Oneace, have I p------d you off? If I have send me a note. ....

View my Photos
oneace

2010-05-15          170797

no why? I tried to send you a PM about your parts. Did you not get it? ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-05-15          170800

Nope didn't get it. My email is earthwerksguy@gmail.com

But you could post it here too so others can view and use it.

Thanks much! ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-05-15          170807

Jeff, when did you change your email address? Kick it to me at my address if you will. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-05-16          170811

Kenny it's there in the message above yours. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2010-06-28          171890

When I saw it they were only welding beer cans, a friend bought some but hasn't had a chance to use it yet.

I do believe there are some issues here!

What does the mower deck look like? ....

View my Photos
kevin3251

2010-06-28          171893

I bought EZ Lock thread inserts and got them installed in two of the four holes that did not have cracks in them ,one in the front and one in the rear.I have to find a spiral tap to get the other two in as my three flute tap won't engage the holes correctly to cut threads.I have it installed on the tractor now and I just keep an eye on them before during and after mowing.Thanks for the thread insert tip! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login