Go Bottom Go Bottom

TC40 won t start

View my Photos
PNWView
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-05-04          153438

Hi All - have a 2004 TC40DA that won't start. Battery holds a charge, glow plug dash light cycles as it should, but the Engine Oil pressure light stays on and all I get is a stout clicking sound (starter cycling? or oil sender struggling?). A Jump doesn't seem to help. To date, haven't had any trouble with the tractor and generally very happy with equipment - open to any help provided. Thanks ahead of time.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

TC40 won t start

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-05-05          153444

PNWView,

Many of the newer machines (all makes and models) now incorporate redundant safety switches in the starter circuit. I have reason to believe that one of the safety switches on your tractor may be partially open, or just plain faulty.

There are several safety switches in the starter circuit. All of them must be checked. You may have a safety switch in your seat. Your PTO lever probably has one as well. You likely have a neutral safety switch, as well as one on the clutch pedal. There may be others. Without an operator's manual, it would be difficult to tell you just how many switches there are in your starter circuit.

In many cases, a simple adjustment to the culprit switch is all that's needed. Maybe it has vibrated loose. It's also possible that a twig, or dirt has gotten caught in one of the switch arms, or even behind one of the operating levers. If you have a tool box under your seat, make sure that it's fully closed, and that no tool in the tool box is interfering with your seat. Check all of these things.

The seat switch is often overlooked. Many tractors will not start unless the operator is sitting firmly in the seat. You may need to adjust your seat, in order to place your full body weight over the safety switch. That switch may also be faulty.

According to your description of the problem, I believe you have a safety switch that is only partially closed. Any vibration from the tractor is probably just enough to close it from time to time.

Place a set of wheel chocks under your tractor tires, then have somebody work all of the levers for you, while you are below. Inspect for proper operation of each of those controls. You'll likely spot the problem fairly quickly.

Let us know what you find, please. It will likely aid another tractor owner when troubleshooting a similar problem.

Joel

TC40 won t start

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-05-05          153451

I'm told that your machine is similar to my '02 TC33D. I have and had many electrical gremlins. I'd start--pun intended--with any electrical connectors under/near the left rear fender that could have been dislodged by a tall weed, then the seat switch, then the battery cables for good connection, then the 30 amp fuse at the lower left side on a pig tail, then the parking brake switch, and finally the ignition switch.

I've replaced my ignition swicth 4 times now ata the tune of $35 each. They are not sealed and get dirt in them.

Currently, I have a situation where I normally can't strat the engine by the switch only--I have to tunr the switch to RUN or ON then use a nail or two coins to jump the lead and the post of starter. It's like power is being siphoned off just befroe it gets to the starter if I use the key only. ....

TC40 won t start

View my Photos
PNWView
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-05-06          153478

Gentlemen - thank you much for the detailed advice. I'll give each of your suggestions a try and post back with the results by the weekend. My local dealer is also very helpful, and I'll have his 2 cents (hopefully without the loss of plenty of my $$s) to add in to the mix.
best regards, Bruce ....

TC40 won t start

View my Photos
RedneckYanke

2009-04-10          161914

I have the same problem with my 2005 TC40. It started doing this with only 50 hours on it. The starter just clicks like the solenoid is kicking in when you turn the key. Turn key 5-6 times and it will start if it didnt kick out the breaker first. If any of the safety switches were bad,disconnected or out of adjustment the starter would not click at all. I have taken it to two different New Holland dealers and still have the same problem. They replaced the starter twice and that did not fix it. Both dealer service reps told me they didn't know what the problem was. Thats what I am left with. I see other posts on the net with the same problem with no resolution. Any help appreciated. Larry ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login