Go Bottom Go Bottom

TN-75 reliability question

View my Photos
pruneFarmer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-11-13          148212

I've had a TN-75F for about 5 years. I have 2700 hours on it and have experienced numerous problems (3 lower fuel tank replacments, transmission rebuild, numerous electrical failures) When it works, it works well, but I'm beginning to think I have a lemon or there was a general design problem with the 75 series. Most recently connecting rod broke and punched holes on both sides of the engine block.

Has anyone else experienced problems with the TN Series? Thanks for any insights.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-11-13          148214

Prunefarmer,

I'm sorry to hear the bad news. Hopefully you'll be able to find another engine for your machine.

You're not the first person to report having problems with the electrical system in the New Holland tractors, of all models.

Seems to me that I've heard few complaints with the New Holland tractors, but for the electrical problems. You're the first person I've heard from who lost an engine, especially with so few hours on it.

Wishing you the best.

Joel ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2007-11-20          148535

I have not heard of many electrical problems from New Holland, I just went over bought all the complaints on the posts here and have not found one. I also went over to my New Holland advisors (another think tank) they said, other problems but not a rash of electrical ones that would lay it up for a long time??? Three fuel tanks? Whats the problem with em? Is it the same problem? Give oneace a shout and see what he has heard (he seems to be the local pro on working on New Hollands) Three fuel tanks though, wow, that stinks, have you got that problem solved yet? ....

View my Photos
pruneFarmer

2007-11-20          148537

The all split on the seam. The first one split about 3 weeks after I got it. In the middle of the field the tractor stopped. Finally noticed the fuel gauge was on empty. Poured about 5 gal in only to see it run out on the ground. Next one split about a year later. The third is still in one piece.

The electrical issues have been gauges and sensors not working. Annoying warning horns going off if you hit a bump, etc. Alot of wiring was routed in the open under the tractor and when mulching bush the prunings would catch the wires and everything got ripped out.

...pruneFarmer ....

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-11-21          148540

Prunefarmer,

Yep. Typical for New Holland. All kinds of wiring and electrical problems on those things. I've read hundreds of letters like yours on the net over the past couple of years.

I have no idea why New Holland tractors are wired the way they are, but whoever designed these things has probably never operated a tractor in his life.

It just seems to me that some of the engineers who design this stuff have never once driven anything but a BMW convertible back and forth to the office.

Tractors encounter some of the worst conditions imaginable. From wet grass, to twigs, branches, rocks, dirt, water, mud....you name it. A BMW's hardest day is when it hits a pothole in the pavement.

Once upon a time, tractors were designed and engineered by farmers. Today, tractors are engineered by people who've been to college, but wouldn't know the difference between horse droppings and a cow pie.

Joel ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-11-21          148542

It's probably not the engineers, it's more likely the bean counters. An engineer without cost constraints would probably choose not to use resistance based sensors since current sources are more reliable with bad connections.

On my current contract we are being forced to ship a product next week that is piss poor, and as an engineer I'm ashamed to be associated with it. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-11-21          148546

Kwschumm,

May I ask what purpose an engineer serves, if his advice and design experience are overruled by accountants?

Seems to me that they could eliminate the engineer positions and place CAD computers on the bean counter's desks.

But, I blame the heads of the engineering departments for putting up with this crap. The people in those positions are likely YES MEN......which is exactly the type of men the bean counters are looking for.

Joel ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-11-21          148569

High level accountants have the ability to yank funds and stop projects. It takes an executive board with backbone to overrule them, but they're far more interested in the bottom line than anything else. It seems most executives went to the same business schools, taught by professors who have no real world experience. These people also have solid job security provided by the accountability avoidance feature inherent in bureaucratic organizations, so they all get to keep their jobs and award themselves bonuses when products fail. To them the important thing is that the product was brought in on time and/or on budget. Quality is way down the priority list. ....

View my Photos
spinfarm

2011-01-16          176443

Yes, have I ever!! I had a 2001 TN55, 4WD, FEL. In 4 years it broke 3 sets of front hubs. NH knew they had a problem & when asked what they were doing about said, "nothing". When the dealer asked what he should do when the customers warrenty ran out & the hubs broke NH's response was "replace the hubs & charge the customer"! NH also had the nerve to say that tractor shouldn't have a loader on it!! By the way. NH never came up with a fix. They just stopped making that model!
I traded the 55 for a 2005 TN70DA, 4WD, FEL & that has not been without its problems. Worn out loader control joystick, rebuilt the hyd. control valve for the loader, replaced the ecm, replaced the hyd. pump, replaced the fuel transfer pump, replaced the throttle cable. The latest & worst of all is a broken coupler that drives the hyd. pump! The tractor is still in the shop & the bill will be about $4000!!! All this with a machine with less than 2900 very easy hours.
As an aside. I also own a 1978 International 574D, 2WD, FEL with 3,636 hours & I've never had a service call of any kind on this tractor. I guess it's true when they say, "They don't make them like they used to"!
Good luck with yours. Jim ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2011-01-17          176455

That was 4 years ago so I wonder what happened. ....

View my Photos
dsulliva45

2011-08-31          180122

I have a 2005 new holland tn70da with 200 hrs.(two hundred)and it just came out of the shop needing 3 new sensors!! I use this tractor for mowing only , no heavy workloads, and i baby it .I called the company but of course my tractor is out of warranty so to bad. With only 200 hrs . ?? come on something is not right. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-08-31          180124

I'll need a replacement when my Yanmar bites the dust. My dealer now sells NHs, but after reading all the accounts here, no chance! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login