Go Bottom Go Bottom

New Holland TZ25 DA - not feeling the love

View my Photos
PeteRPh
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-08-09          144514

Shopped around for a sub compact (first tractor) - Decided on a TZ25 over a Kubota BX2350 mostly because the NH dealer is five miles down the street from the cabin. This is a small dealer they sell motorcycles, snowobiles, ATV's and since last year Tractors.I negotiated the price mostly on the phone against the BX. I got the New Holland TZ25 with a 54 inch deck and a FEL package for $13,500 financed 100% at zero% for 36 months. I had to pay $500 for insurance on the unit (you guys have to do that?). Anyway met the dealer out back to go over the machine before delivery - this guy has NO IDEA what he is doing - I mean NO IDEA!! Must have hit evey lever and peddle 10 times to get the thing through its paces - I learned so much more from the owners manual. I asked that he show me how to take off the loader and thank God he did not try to do that as it would be a mess for sure. I did not get a loader manual (but I will). Frankly, I'm a little spooked - bummed actually I know that I would use the machine more if I had a trusted place to buy attachments. Anybody else have this kind of issue?
Let me know Pete

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-08-09          144519

PeteRPH,

You're not alone in this department.

Up here in North Dakota, small tractors are very uncommon. Dealers who sell and service them are even more sparse.

When I went looking for a small tractor, I knew I would be entirely on my own when it came time for service, repair, and resources.

The number of implement dealerships has dropped by over 50% in the past 25 years. This is mainly due to the smaller number of farmers, which is directly related to the large number of acres each farmer now handles.

Small tractors are in high demand all across the U.S. Up to now, most dealerships have never been involved with this market. In fact, most U.S. tractor makers have avoided this market altogether. Only recently have the U.S. makers decided to take part in this booming market. A few years ago, Kubota owned the small tractor market.

Many new dealerships are popping up around the country, simply because there is money to made in selling this equipment. However, most of these new dealerships have no clue how to service the machines they sell......and as you correctly pointed out, they have no idea how to even start the danged things.

Most of us don't have access to qualified service personnel. We simply take the plunge, with full understanding that we're on our own when it comes time to tear the thing apart and fix it. I welcome the challenge, but there are many people who simply don't own the tools or have the needed experience to be comfortable with tearing something apart and putting it back together correctly.

Welcome to the world of compact tractor ownership. Buy yourself a good set of tools, and learn how to use them.

Joel

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-08-09          144522

It happens. But I think that's a lot on money for a smallish machine. Really. Not to take away from you or anyone else's dream machine but to me they're a garden tractor on steroids. And way over priced to boot for what you get.

I paid $13,500 back in '02 for my TC33D with no loader or attachments. Still, I saw a new '07 like mine from a dealer for just a few hundred more, so there are deals out there.

As far as insurance, ask them why and who is insuring it. and what is covered and what isn't. I was given the option to insure it myself (or not). I know when I bought my $47K skid steer they quoted me $110 for insurance---but then the day I was suppose to sign for it it jumped to $1,100. "DOH we forgot a zero"---yeah "zero" is right. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-08-09          144524

Pete, it is not just tractor dealerships. I bought a four wheel drive pickup a few years ago. Was given very careful instructions how to shift in and out of four wheel drive. They were totally wrong compared to the manual which worked very well. The salesman was very surprised when I went over the manual with him.

You may find a dealership who is more in the commercial business better to deal with as they often have the smaller machines. At least they do here. The true Farm Dealerhships do very little with the none farm equipement as Candoarms pointed out.

Do not let that make you feel you have a bad machine. Maybe not a great dealership but you probably will not need him a lot and may find a great one.
kt ....

View my Photos
PeteRPh

2007-08-09          144563

Thanks Guys - I realize I probably (most likely)did not make the best "value" judgement on the TZ and I totally agree that for an additional 20% I would be in a much different catagory (real tractor). But in my defence I have no garage at the cabin only a shed (and you are rightly thinking Why did this fool spend 13K on a tractor instead of building a garage?)and believe it or not my 82 year old mother likes to cut the grass so I could not go too big and although we are lucky enough to have 100 acres in the mountains only about five of it is usable for fields and overgrown orchards that I have been clearing by walk behind brush mower for 15 years so even this little guy will be a big improvement. Lastly I'm making a bet here that this line of tractor (sub compact) will hold its value pretty well in the event I decide to upgrade. Still though I want a stump grinder and a bush hog with a slip clutch for trail clearing. - I have never seen an attachment go on a tractor of any kind. I'm not bad with a wrench but I never got near anything hydrolic before. You guys are from the middle - a good friend of mine recently sent me a pic from her home town in N.D. Devil's Fork? anyway the picture was of a young man and his date going to the prom on his John Deer tractor. Don't see that much in Boston! ....

View my Photos
ihookem

2007-08-18          144801

You got an ok deal I think. I'll bet a hundred bucks you're under estimating the tractor like almost everyone else does. You got a 25 horse diesel, tires small enough to out torque my Bota 7510 easily. I don't hear much about NH but I don't hear anything bad neither. You may have to service it yourself like me and a thousand other guys on this sight cause good mechanics are hard to find anywhere. (More complaints about dealers on this sight than the tactors by far, and I'm one of them.) The reviews are ral good too. Hear is a websight to look up. compacttractorreview/review-New-Holland-TZ25DA_1513.aspx and see the reviews for yourself. One was just like you, he took the NH over the 2350 Kubota. At least you got the comfortable seat. ....

View my Photos
ihookem

2007-08-18          144802

Send me the hundred bucks soon. ....

View my Photos
bloggins

2007-08-22          144895

Yes, the TZ25DA is a reliable and easy to use tractor. Make sure that you mount and unmount the loader on a flat level surface to avoid toppling the loader. Garden tractor on steroids...be careful, as these things are not toys and with the FEL can weigh as much as a sub-compact car and can overturn. At full throttle you'll have more than enough power with excellent fuel economy. Good purchase at a good price! ....

View my Photos
ihookem

2007-09-02          145291

Pete, you must be on your new tractor. How is it working? You're starting to like it right. ....

View my Photos
bvance

2007-09-02          145297

I will agree with most others here, a SCUT (sub-compact utility tractor) is not a toy. Used properly, it will get an amazing amount of work done that sure beats being on the business end of shovel.

Sure, bigger machines do bigger things faster, but that's when one spends money foolishly...too much money spent on equipment over-powered for the job. See it all the time from boats to big pickups to guns to .....well you get the picture!

Value and perspective are always a judgement call and it usually comes down to your own that counts...enjoy your SCUT and the wise investment you made....I know I sure do!

Brian

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-09-02          145300

Brian if you're referring to my comment, I know they're not a toy. All my equipment is considered mid-sized which suits the type of work I do perfectly. That said I still get people who call my stuff "toys" which really grinds me. Funny though, I still charge them full-size price so that eases the pain a bit. LOL

BTW, I get chided for my "big Dodge" Ram which is completly stock. But that's from people who have no clue about what it takes pull around 15,000 lb. of steel and rubber on a trailer. Oh yeah and stop on a dime when they pull out in front of me. ....

View my Photos
bvance

2007-09-02          145301

EW,

I realize big equipment is needed for big jobs....that's my other beef: People using undersized equipment when it is truly overmatched for the job.

I for one believe the SCUT is generally under-rated and will do most homeowners just fine. For the type of work you do, the SCUT would be laughable.

I just wished sometimes that people would match their equipment to the job and not their ego.

I think we are on the same page on this....

Brian ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-09-02          145307

Yup, same page. But I do have to say that if you do have the money, (almost) always go one size bigger than you think you're going to use---no sense breaking something.

Case in point my buddy has a skidsteer one size down from mine. Yeah it cost 1/5 of mine but I can run circles around him, not to mention flip his over (yeah, I tried when he wasn't looking). He gave me crap about spending too much on it, "Get one like mine", he says. He saw what mine can do compared to his then it clicked. Doh!

I ordered a fully enclosed cab with heat for mine which he thought was more waste of money; his is open (he HAS the money). It's 93 degrees out and very humid. After cleaning up filthy, rotten, moldy hurricane debris for about an hour, we took a break. I get out clean and cool (from the heater blower running only) as can be. He gets out, sweating and looking like a raccoon with white patches around his eyes! LOL

Visa commercial:
Big, new skidsteer...$45,000.
Enclosed cab...$2000.
Buddy's older, smaller skidsteer with no cab...$10,000
Look on buddy's dirty face:...Priceless.

But I'm jis' sayin'... ....

View my Photos
crunch

2007-09-02          145308

Yeah, and I have 560 hours on my oversized JD4310 with 32HP on my 2 acres. People think I am crazy with a tractor that large but I am pulling stumps continuously for me, my neighbors. I split logs with a log splitter that helps when you have 13 gpm hydraulic flow. And I chop up my continuously growing brush pile with my IM502, and rip out my 6' trees and transplant them. Oh, and I can lift stuff up to the attic door over the garage with the higher reach. And there are all the stone walls and and rubble from the culvert that I dug up and turned into nice lawn. I tell my wife I could get a smaller tractor now with latest technology and she rightfully corrects me and says "no - this tractor is what we need." Go one size up. ....

View my Photos
PeteRPh

2007-09-04          145332

Gentlemen:
TZ25 update. First let me say thanks for all the comments (trully appreciated). So here we are - the tractor resides up at the cabin 160 miles north of where I live fulltime so I did not get a chance to get on the thing until this weekend. Let me say that the second time around the experience was much better! The TZ is smooth and cuts grass (on the flat) with the mid no problem and already I know that no matter how high the grass is when I get to the cabin the cut time will be close to the same. On the back lot the mid is not going to cut it (no pun intended!) as it scrapes on stumps and uneven ground so my first purchase will be a brush hog. Loader, on and off no problem at all, easy as fish'in. I need work figuring out how to use it though. I don't get the level indicator at all. I know I need chains for traction and a stump grinder, oh, and a garage of course. I am happy with the purchase but I need attachments to really get utility out of the machine but, it is a good machine well made and runs excellent. So far I'm happy with the purchase. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-09-04          145335

PeteRPH,

The level indicator on your bucket isn't really very accurate. It's designed to let you know the approximate angle of your bucket, when looking down from the tractor seat.

Since you won't be able to see the cutting edge of your bucket from the seat, the level indicator helps you out just a bit. With practice and experience, you'll soon know how your bucket is tilted.

The level indicator is most helpful when pushing snow, so that you don't run your cutting edge into your nice lawn, or destroy your wife's flower bed.

Enjoy your new tractor.

Joel ....

View my Photos
Murf

2007-09-04          145338

Since Joel raised the point, and it's a good one, one should use EXTREME caution when using a bucket on a FEL for snow removal, even at not much speed at all hitting a frozen bit of seemingly nothing will stop you flat!! :(

Trust me, if the machine comes to an abrupt halt from doing this, you will almost certainly have at the very least bent something. It might not seem like much, but there is absolutely nothing in the way of shock protection here, so every bit of force gets transmitted to the hardware.

The same goes with a rear or box blade.

There's a reason snow blowers have shear pins and skid shoes, and plows have trip edges for protection.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2007-09-04          145348

Setting up the Bucket level indicator:

While off the tractor, I walk back and forth from the joystick to the bucket and back again and just tap the joystick for the bucket tilt until it is level or just ever so lightly digging in. At that position I take a paint pen (white) and scribe a line around the indicator rod just above the pipe where it passes through.

So, from the tractor seat, in the future I know exactly where flat is. Additional tilt will make the ring go slightly higher if you need to dig more aggressively.

That mark will disappear over time from wear and rust but can be remarked before it totally goes away.

That loader bucket works great for snow removal if you don't dig. Know and memorize your real estate before the snow flies to eliminate bumping into hard objects. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-09-04          145350

Murf,

I have a friend who ended up in the hospital for a couple of days, after he hit a curb with the Bobcat, while clearing snow in a parking lot. He wasn't aware of the fact that there were concrete parking curbs along one edge of the parking lot, as there were no parking curbs anywhere else. Anyway, he came away from it with a few facial wounds, a broken left wrist, and two very badly injured knees.

I install fence posts with bright orange flags on them, near any obstacle in the yard.......such as the well, the sewer clean-out, etc.

This is not so much for me, but for those who may clear my yard for me when I'm away. And the orange flag.....well, that's for the people on snowmobiles, who don't know enough to stay out of my yard with the danged things......mainly my son's friends.

Joel ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-09-04          145351

Truthfully ones you get the feel of the loader bucket you'll find you don't even use the indicator---sort of like not using your car's side view mirrors to make sure in the middle of your lane.

You'll find that virtually no surface you'll be working on requires the indicator because one way or another you still have to determine where/how the bucket will bite and how much. Therefore, get used to setting the bucket down, rolling it back slightly then feathering it forward which will raise the loader arms--too much arms up, tileted too much---unless you're goal is to dig down. It take a few hours to get really used to it--so don't hard on yourself if it takes longer. (My backhoe loader had one on it until a tree branch ripped it off and I haven't missed it--the indicator that is) ....

View my Photos
MYNHROCKS

2010-10-27          174813

Hello. I see you have a TZ 25 DA. I just purchased one. I think its great. I did not get any type of manuals with it though. Are you happy with your tractor and have you had any problems with it? I live in MI and will be using it for everything from lawn, landscaping, snow removel, and moving engine and car parts. Could you tell me where you got your shop/operators manual for your tractor. Thanks, Kevin. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-10-27          174814

Welcome to the board! The short answer for the manuals would be the dealer. Pretty sure J&R Tractor in Saline can get the manual you need---but any dealer nationwide can get it for you. J&R tends to be much higher than other dealers even in this area (we have two) so check around---buy online. If you're going to be lifting stuff with the bucket, be sure to reinforce the top of the bucket or you will cave it in---they are not made for lifting. ....

View my Photos
mkow1969

2010-12-19          175859

Hi Earthwrks. It's the NH T1010 fan. One thing about the bucket I liked on the NH's is that they have a square tube on the top of the bucket that goes all the way across the top. I don't think it would bend unless you rammed a telephone pole at full speed. Lifting... these engineers have this stuff figured out so the pump will stop lifting long before that bucket caves.

I have seen a friend cave in his bucket on another brand of tractor. Doesn't matter what brand as he was abusing it on a stump. Wouldn't be fair to that tractor brand to say it was any fault of theirs. However, there is nothing but a rolled piece of steel on his bucket. There's now a square tube across it. It's a lot stronger now.

My 2 cents about the size of my tractor. I had a dream once that I traded mine in on a 45 horse b/c it was a good deal. Once I got it home I realized I had nothing to use it on since i only have an acre lot. I was real upset and just wanted my little tractor back so I could cut grass, move some dirt and wood around and have some fun with it in my garden. When I woke up the first thing I did was look in my garage to make sure I still had my tractor. Since then I don't think about going bigger anymore. As all of you have said... gotta match the equipment to the job.

Have a Merry Christmas guys! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login