Is New Holland Tractor SuperSteer Useful: New Holland Tractor Review  -- New Holland Tractors Discussion Forum and Review Is New Holland Tractor SuperSteer Useful: New Holland Tractor Review -- New Holland Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > New Holland Tractor Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 01-12-2007, 02:15 Post: 138723
waynecar

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Is New Holland Tractor SuperSteer Useful

I am considering purchasing a TC40 or 45 tractor with loader for general all around use on a farm of 55 acres and I have a few questions.

1. I was wondering if SuperSteer was that useful. Are there any repair issues concerning it?

2. I understand the D models are nice with the hydrostatic drive but cost a bit more. Is the D model worth the somewhat higher price? (I'm used to gears.)

3. Also, if one has a little over 1000 hours on it, (a 2000 model---45D w/SuperSteer for $15.9K) is it much of an issue? I understand that how well a tractor is taken care of influences its life greatly.

I would appreciate any comments that would help with the decisions of purchasing a tractor. Thanks.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

01-12-2007, 09:51 Post: 138739
kwschumm

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

When shopping (looked at TC33) I would have bought SS since it did seem to greatly improve maneuverability. It has a downside if you have to drive through narrow areas (between buildings, rows of crops or trees, etc). When you turn one direction the front axle swivels and the body of the tractor moves the opposite direction a bit. This isn't a problem in most circumstances but only in very narrow areas. I don't recall reading of any problems with SS reliability. As far as transmission type, the gear will certainly get the job done. I like a hydro due to infinite speed range (it's nice to be able to go real, real slow sometimes - like a few inches per minute). Not sure what else comes on the D model.

01-12-2007, 13:32 Post: 138748
Blueman

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

waynecar,
I have a TC45D. There are times in our barn where SS would be appreciated; but I think I have read that you will have reduced FEL capacity with the SS? I can also tell you that a friend has a TC45 (gear), and everytime we get together, he wishes he had the Hydro. After having the hydro for a couple hundred hours now, I don't think I would want to go back to gear, at least not for my use. Time will tell however if it will last as long as the gear tranny, and the overall cost of ownership?

01-12-2007, 13:51 Post: 138749
hardwood

TP Contributor

Filter by User

Waynecar; I've never driven one, but a farmer friend of mine has what looks to be like a 150 hp. Ford tractor with supersteer. I don't know if the CUT model supersteer is identical to the big tractors only just downsized or not but his comment was that there are something like 15 or more daily grease points on the supersteer compared to probably four or five on a conventional mechanical front axle. So his concern was that it might be an expensive repair when these joints all become worn. I have also heard whether true or false I don't know but that the loader capicity must be less than a conventional front end. Enjoy what you buy. Frank.

01-12-2007, 14:13 Post: 138753
kwschumm

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I may well be wrong but I thought the fixed axle had the same load rating as the supersteer axle. In other words, if the supersteer axle reduced the load rating they downrated it for both axles. To be safe best to check the specs and verify with the dealer. It might be model independent.

01-12-2007, 17:34 Post: 138768
hardwood

TP Contributor

Filter by User

I think their concern on loader rating was not for reasons of the strength of the supersteer axle but the fact that the front axle assembly moves from side to side under the frame of the tractor making it a concern of moving the front wheel closer to the frame while the loader bucket stll remains in line with the tractor making for a risk if overturning the tractor. I could be all wet on this, but that was the info I was given. Frank.

01-12-2007, 17:58 Post: 138770
cutter

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I would agree with the tip-over theory. I had one and if I am not mistaken, that was a caution I was given when the bucket was high in the air.

One other thing I noticed is that on a hill in a sharp turn, say for mowing, your front end width is reduced considerably. I noticed too that when mounting the loader one need be cautious because when you turn the wheel to line the tractor up with the loader frame the entire front of the tractor moves, even if you are standing still. That can be a good thing for alignment or a bad thing if you forget that is going to happen and are in close quarters.

Everything considered, I love the SS option.

01-12-2007, 21:52 Post: 138782
earthwrks

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

When I bought my '02 TC33D the D stood for more than just hydro. Actually it stands for Deluxe. Compared to non D's you get hydro, sprung seat, cruise control, tilt & telescopic wheel and some other things I forget. The SS is a good option. With it you get a hybrid 4 whel drive system that doesn't have a 2wd option---the 4wd can be locked or is otherwise transparent until the system senses it needs it due to wheel spin at the front. I use SS when brush hogging---with cruise on and the cutting brakes separated, hit the RH brake and turn the wheel to the right and it will literally spin on a dime. This won't work on the LH pedal as that will turn off the cruise control. SS doesn't reduce stability, in fact since the axle is about 8" more forward it increases it. And when in narrow areas, it doesn't add to the width of the axle---like if I drove right up along side a wall or the like, I can drive right out and away because the wheel doesn't start to turn right away but the axle is pulling or pushing the axle & wheel away from the obstruction as it turns. Back to the stability issue, as all tractors I know of use a pivoting-center front axle whether the axle was 12" wide or 12' wide it wouldn't matter about stability---it will always pivot at the center under the engine like a teeter totter. Percieved stability--yes. Real or practical---no. The only issue I know of with SS until you get used to it is with SS and a FEL is the loader will move the opposite way a little if you turn the wheel while stopped. At speed it's totally transparent.

01-12-2007, 23:32 Post: 138784
waynecar

Filter by User

Thanks for your responses. They're helpful in trying to decide what to buy.

I would appeciate if some could "tackle" question number three which is:

3. Also, if one has a little over 1000 hours on it, (a 2000 model---45D w/SuperSteer for $15.9K) is it much of an issue? I understand that how well a tractor is taken care of influences its life greatly.

(I added the two other questions not related to the Subject SuperSteer after realizing I had a few more questions that needed to be answered.)

Thanks.

01-12-2007, 23:40 Post: 138785
kwschumm

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

If a tractor has been well cared for 1000 hours should be no big deal. What else do you get for that price? Based on comparable listings on machinefinder dot com that seems like a pretty fair price.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > New Holland Tractor Review Forum

Thread 138723 Filter by Poster:
bill123c 1 | Blueman 1 | cutter 2 | earthwrks 3 | hardwood 2 | kwschumm 3 | oneace 1 | waynecar 2 |

Most Viewed

+ New Holland TC33D Tractor Frame broke in Half
+ Boomer 8N CVT
+ TN-75 reliability question
+ AG vs Industrial Tires
+ Ls Tractors Rebadged New Hollands?
+ New Holland TC29D rear hydraulics
+ Need advice before Buying Ford NH 1720 tractor
+ NH 7308 LOADER ON , OFF....
+ New Holland TZ25 DA - not feeling the love!
+ TC25 Boomer Vs. Kubota B2400

Most Discussion

+ New Holland TC33D Tractor Fram
+ Liquid Tire Ballast
+ JD 4210 or TC35D????
+ New Holland TC 33D Hydraulics
+ TC 33D Blowing Fuses
+ Lights on ROPS
+ Buying TC34DA
+ Diesel Fuel
+ TC25D rear pto shaft broken
+ Boomer 8N CVT