HST and cold weather: New Holland Tractor Review  -- New Holland Tractors Discussion Forum and Review HST and cold weather: New Holland Tractor Review -- New Holland Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > New Holland Tractor Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 01-21-2000, 00:00 Post: 12139
Chris

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster
 HST and cold weather

I was running my TC25D recently in below zero temps and the HST was squealing a little bit when pressing the pedal all the way down. I let tractor warm-up for quite a while before operating, is there a temperature rating on the HST fluid?

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

01-21-2000, 00:00 Post: 12141
PaulB

HST-and-cold-weather

Chis - I recently had what I thought might be a cold weather problem (turned out one of my brakes was rubbing) and asked my dealer about using something other than super UDT in my Kubota. He called a factory rep, and found out that Super UDT is rated at 5 weight, so it is about as thin in the cold as you can get. I don't know what NH uses, but maybe your dealer can find out what viscosity it is rated at.
PaulB

01-22-2000, 00:00 Post: 12150
Bob

HST-and-cold-weather

My TC33D also squeals when cold. Most comments on the board here concur that this is normal. The other night my machine fired up @20 degrees F with no block heater, I idled @1500rpm for a minute,suealing pretty good,and started to plow snow @2000rpm,after I saw some heat get into the motor I advanced to 2800. the squeal disappeared after @15min(it slowly quiets down). The looader was a little sluggish the first 10 minutes(rpm dependent I think)besides the cold hydraulics. My 1st winter with my33.Plowed great in 4wd,turf tires unloaded,no chains,650# concrete on 3pt. I dont think I'll have to do any changes for my needs.any comments on keeping the block heater plugged in for weeks at a time?They do that for the compact used for snow removal at my hospital.

01-22-2000, 00:00 Post: 12153
Roger L.

HST-and-cold-weather

Yep, hydraulics of all kinds squeal in cold weather. I've wondered about this myself and don't know exactly why. Don't think I've ever heard of any failure directly because of this. I do give mine a long warm-up on general principles.
As far as leaving it plugged in: The block heater is no different than the heating element in an electric hot water heater (except it is lower wattage). But hot water heaters also have a thermostat that turns the heating element off when the water begins to get too hot. As far as I know, none of the block heaters have this feature - an oversight by the designers for sure. It may be that they are relying on the fact that the block heater is low wattage and you do get some thermosiphon cooling through the radiator. I'd be cautious leaving it plugged in, or better yet, add some sort of thermostat to the system. Then you could leave it plugged in indefinitely.

01-22-2000, 00:00 Post: 12155
JJT

HST-and-cold-weather

I also notice a difference on the hydraulic recycle time. Although no squeel and my L3710 Kubota started up this am with -5 on the thermo, (no block heater, stored in an unheated garage). Let things warm up for 10 minutes and cleared the drive, (1000'), in less than an hour. I do use a diesel conditioner. Have a friend that does not and he was jelled up and out of commission this am. The Kub dealer said no need for a block heater, so far it seems he was right.

01-22-2000, 00:00 Post: 12160
Rick B.

HST-and-cold-weather

Here's how to warm up your Hydro trans oil while warming up the engine. Start the tractor. Set the throttle up off idle (1000-1500RPM). Lock brakes, shift the transmission's range selector to NEUTRAL. Block the hydro pedal fully in forward, or depress the pedal & set the cruise control. This circulates the hyd oil better and faster than leaving the hydro in neutral. Note this method may not work on tractors with operator presence (seat) switches, or it may be necessary to fool the switch while you have that coffee.

01-22-2000, 00:00 Post: 12165
charlie

HST-and-cold-weather

i went the cheap route.went to the local farm supply and bought 2 katz magnetic heaters.put one on the oil pan and one on the trany about an hour before start up.they really seem to do the trick.this is the third winter i've had my 1530 and the only problem is the throttle will get moisture in it and freeze up over night.so i have to leave it cracked enough to get a good idle rpm on a cold start.once it warms up it's like it's ment to be.years ago we used to use dip stick heaters but i don't recommend them anymore.the magnitic heaters a handy because of their versatility.you can move them from machine to machine,put them on your shop air compresser on a cold day,or put your old metal coffee pot on it to keep it warm.on machines like our motor grader sometimes we put both on the oil pan.good luck

01-23-2000, 00:00 Post: 12167
Tom G

HST-and-cold-weather

Instructions with the block heater I put in my truck said: 'Don't use in tempratures above freezing.' I guess that's a conservative rule of thumb and no damage would occur if temperatures went above freezing for awhile. After all, engines are designed to operate at high temperatures. Heat from the element is going to circulate at least in the water jacket area and dissipate through the block.

In general, heat loss will increase as coolant temperature in the block goes above the outside temperature. There will be an equilibrium point where the heat lost is equal to the block heater input. At that point coolant temperature won't rise further. Of course, as the outside temperature increases, so does the equilbrium point. There is some outside temperature where a block heater left on indefinitely would boil the coolant, but I suspect that would be a fairly warm day.

Guess a rough approximation of an equilbrium point could be made, but it seems easier to just not use heaters on mild days, or use an appliance timer to limit the heating time. In my case, if I start from temperatures 5 to 10 F, the disel starts like on a summer day with around three hours on a heater (including battery blanket).

I guess something like a theromstat and relay could be rigged up for anybody who has to go out of town and is worried about coming back to 2' of snow in the drive and not being able to start the tractor.

01-25-2000, 00:00 Post: 12212
Murf

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 HST-and-cold-weather

The cause of the noise is indeed the cold trans. and fluid in it, the by-pass valves make a lot of noise when the temps. are low because of the increased viscosity of the fluid running through the system. A block heater will do nothing for this because the heat cannot reach the trans. or its fluid. However, most auto parts or supply houses will sell a "magnetic" block heater, they have a (usually) 250w. heater element wrapped in a large magnetic housing. This can easily be 'stuck' to the bottom of the trans. and plugged in with the engine heater, then remover when the block heater is unplugged. This will make a cold weather work far easier on any machine. Best of luck.

01-25-2000, 00:00 Post: 12228
Bill

Filter by User
 HST-and-cold-weather

Well Fellas, I don't want to start another sythetic petroleum battle here, but last winter before changing the hydro fluids in my New Holland to synthetics, the hydrolics squeeled, and it was very slow to respond to anything until it was warmed for about 10 minutes. This winter, which is much colder, no squeel and I can move it immediately with no hesitation. Synthetics flow much more easily at low temps, and consequently do not have as hard a time going through the filters. That is the problem, oil trying to get through the filters, and opening the bypass as Murf said. As far as the block heater comments, My F250 book says that there is no further benefit is derived by having the block heater plugged in for more than 3 hours. In other words it won't heat it any more than that. Never heats up the antifreeze to the point that the guage reads anything. It's called sizing the heater for the load. I have had it in for a few days and never showed anything on the guage. Tractor too, just the same. As far as these magnetic heaters, never had one to comment on, so I won't. But I can't immagine that a 250 watt heater could damage any oil, even if it were on the tractor at 32 degrees F. Maybe heat things up at 70 or 80 F, but it would never heat it enough to cause any damage. Not enough BTUs in 250 watts to do it. Just my 2 cents. Bill

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > New Holland Tractor Review Forum

Thread 12139 Filter by Poster:
Bill 6 | Bob 1 | charlie 1 | Chris 1 | Dave 1 | JJT 1 | MChalkley 5 | MichaelSnyder 5 | Murf 1 | PaulB 1 | Rick B. 1 | Roger L. 1 | Steve 6 | Terry 1 | Tom G 1 |

Most Viewed

+ New Holland TC33D Tractor Frame broke in Half
+ Boomer 8N CVT
+ TN-75 reliability question
+ AG vs Industrial Tires
+ Ls Tractors Rebadged New Hollands?
+ New Holland TC29D rear hydraulics
+ Need advice before Buying Ford NH 1720 tractor
+ NH 7308 LOADER ON , OFF....
+ New Holland TZ25 DA - not feeling the love!
+ TC25 Boomer Vs. Kubota B2400

Most Discussion

+ New Holland TC33D Tractor Fram
+ Liquid Tire Ballast
+ JD 4210 or TC35D????
+ New Holland TC 33D Hydraulics
+ TC 33D Blowing Fuses
+ Lights on ROPS
+ Buying TC34DA
+ Diesel Fuel
+ TC25D rear pto shaft broken
+ Boomer 8N CVT