Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tarheel Tractor

View my Photos
James s desmond
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-07-03          90004

I recently purchased a NEW HOLLAND tc33da from steve at TARHEEL TRACTOR. I Live 12 hours from the store. While talking to them I was able to ask questions and their concerns and sugestions to my questions were very helpful in making sure the machine fitted my needs.While picking up the machine Steve showed me how to use the seat belt and safety features to help make operating the machine comfortable. Their was no need to haggle over the fair PRICE.They also provided me with personal numbers incase I got lost through the night while driving to pick up my machine and returning home.I highly sugest using TARHEEL TRACTOR to make any type of equipment or parts purchases.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Tarheel Tractor

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-04          90019

The frequency of this type of unsolicited post from non-members sure makes it seem like Tarheel Tractor is spamming the board. There aren't anywhere near this many voluntary testimonials about other sponsors. ....

Tarheel Tractor

View my Photos
lfarraher

2004-07-04          90068

I really don't think it is spamming.
I would say more along the line of a free opinion of a happy ending.
Maybe if more dealers were as easy to deal with or knowledgable, they too would be posted by happy customers.
If posts of Tarheel tractors bothers you..don't read them..nobody is twisting your arm to do so.
Just my opinion..(Unless opinions are no longer covered by the 1st amendment of free speech) ....

Tarheel Tractor

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-04          90072

Actually, the first amendment really doesn't apply here because Dennis is free to delete any post he wants. My point is that too many merchants try to spam here and if we're not vigilant about it this board will become nothing but a bunch of spam. Tarheel may well be a great outfit, I don't know, but there has been a rash of unsolicited testimonials about them here lately which is quite unusual. ....

Tarheel Tractor

View my Photos
ljfarraher

2004-07-05          90092

I see your point.
But I believe that as long as it pertains to the content of the area..it should be ok.
Now if several started posting of anything NOT even associated with tractors in any way..THAT should not be allowed here.
If I had dealt with you on a tractor and was pleased..trust me, I would be posting to others about your business and take the time to see it for themselves.. ....

Tarheel Tractor

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-07-05          90139

Agreed and agreed, with both of you. Atleast tarheel sponsors this web site so it isnt totally free if they are.
What troubles me a bit is on the advertisement they have on ebay for their tc40 gear mfd. They say in the description that it has ALL the features of a deluxe model. That is not true if you relate a deluxe with hydro because you can NOT get the tractor from the dealer with the rubber mats and its related parts behund your legs, I believe a cup holder too. I tried to get it and was told they only put it on the deluxe hydro models. So all in all I guess it dont have ALL the features. ....

Tarheel Tractor

View my Photos
Cleeduss

2005-07-05          113092

I also drove quite a long distance to shop at Tarheel. I also dealt with Steve as my main contact and he was great. They beat my local dealer by quite a large margin. My local dealer told me to go ahead and drive if I wanted to waste my time. I got about 3 hours into the drive and my local dealer called me and told me he would come close to Tarheels price and save me the drive. I told him to go take a flying leap. Steve was very helpful and gave me quite a few pointers as this was my first tractor.(I am also a yankee and them good ole boys dont think we can handle manual labor) I will be buying another tractor next year and I will be driving to North Carolina to pick it up. If any of you ever go there ask Steve about the local barbecue place the food was just fantastic. I am not associated in any way with Tarheel I just love the service and price they gave me. ....

Tarheel Tractor

View my Photos
oldrental

2005-07-08          113155

I find it hard to believe that many dealers still believe they are dealing with a “local” economy. That people are going to shop local just because that is what they did in the past.

You should understand that a dealer has to make money to stay in business, he just does not have to make it all off one guy.

Tarheel Tractor

View my Photos
earthwrks

2005-07-08          113174

"World economy" is fine when you're out to save a few (or many) dollars and never expect to have to make a warranty claim. But when the chips are down, and the tractor needs service---and you need it right now---don't expect the local guy to treat you like the local dealer (the dealer isn't obligated to service you). I went down this road with my dealer, and even met with the sympathetic service manager giving him hypotheticals about "if" I bought from out-of-state. He said sure he'd work on it, but the local guys come first. And as it is they have about a two-week backlog as it is. It could add another week or so. I'm commercial and can't afford even a day's downtime let alone 4 weeks. In addition to buying and servicing local, my dealer has saved me close to $4000 in what would have been rental fees while my tractor and skid steer were serviced. And NH Service and Sales Reps. have a duty to keep their territory's dealers and customers happy---step out of the loop and get into another's territory and they are less inclined to bend over backward to help you the customer. It's like I tell my customers when they tell me I'm higher priced than someone else: "You can pay me now to do the job or pay me double to re-do the other, cheaper guy's work". ....

Tarheel Tractor

View my Photos
oneace

2005-07-08          113180

Nicely said!! ....

Tarheel Tractor

View my Photos
ljfarraher

2005-07-08          113181

Now that is about the most rue statement I have heard for a long time.
So..there is a flip to all coins in the case of saving the bucks..
You put food on his table..he'll make sure he puts food on yours as they say. ....

Tarheel Tractor

View my Photos
skyraiderad5

2005-07-08          113190

I'm on the same boat, don't know how I would make if my local dealer was not there to keep me going. Had a leaking oil seal last week, turned out to have been causded by a bad bearing. Yep they have a two week backlog too, machine was looked at, parts ordered overnight and I was working it the next afternoon. Support locl dealers and they will support you. ....

Tarheel Tractor

View my Photos
Cleeduss

2005-07-10          113239

My local dealer wanted over $5000.00 more for the exact same setup so I think that the 5 grand is worth the risk of the local dealer not treating me very well. I would tend to conclude from the attempted fleecing that the dealer is not a very stand up kind of business anyways. Besides with the 5 grand I bought a backhoe so if the dealer would have been reasonable he could have gotten all my money instead of just getting my disdain. ....

Tarheel Tractor

View my Photos
earthwrks

2005-07-10          113248

I know that $5000 seems like extortion, and maybe it is. But I know first-hand being in business for myself that sometimes there are behind-the-scenes reasons for some things that just don't seem to add up on the face of it like the prices of equipment and or services. Sometimes I might buy more suppiles at a discount hoping for another job to use then up on and thereby reduce my bid price. But I may sit on them for a year or so until that happens. Same thing with tractors; we never know the whole story of why a dealer can cut his price so low---the truth is he may have swung some deals earlier and took a gamble he'd be able to sell it later versus the guy who has to order onesie /twosie at a time. In any event I always let my dealer know what other prices I have gotten; keeps them aware that I'm aware and not a blank check. For exmaple I was going to trade my skid steer to Tarheel and buy a new one from them. Tarheel offered me about $600 better deal on the new one but then I had to pay for shipping to get the old one there and pay for shipping the new here (another $650) and they were going to give me $3000 less for my trade-in. So I kept it local and everybody is happy, well, 'cept for Tarheel perhaps. ....

Tarheel Tractor

View my Photos
Cleeduss

2005-07-10          113249

I certainly respect your point of view and it definitely has merit.For me the 5 grand just burned me up so bad I dont think I would have gone back to that dealer even if he beat Tarheel.I work pretty hard for my money as I am sure you do also and just giving it away doesnt sit well with me. ....

Tarheel Tractor

View my Photos
jamese

2005-07-10          113253

and Steve from Tarheel Tractor (New Holland dealer) moved to Corriher Tractor in Lenoir,NC (John Deere and Kubota) ....

Tarheel Tractor

View my Photos
oldrental

2005-07-11          113257

I cannot believe any honest dealer could justify over 5K in profits on the sale of a “compact” tractor? I say over because Tarheel is not selling without making a profit.

It also amazes me that some of you seem to think the dealer is doing you a favor by fixing your tractor. He is making at least 35% on the parts and around 75% on the labor.
If he did it for free he is doing you a favor, if he is charging for it he is doing his job.

I totally believe in supporting the local economy, until they try to take advantage. 5K on a compact tractor is taking advantage.

Tarheel Tractor

View my Photos
earthwrks

2005-07-11          113259

Just to clarify: I'm not defending anyone, just possibly giving an explanation of how some things come about that seemingly can't be explained from a discount perspective.
And Oldrental, as far as a "favor", well truth is, it is a favor (call Customer Service and see if you can "tell" them to demand a dealer to work on something--you can't). Franchised dealers in particular are in no way obligated in any sense of the word to work on anything unless they want to. Yes, it is (ususally) in their best interest financially and customer satisfaction-wise to work on things, but that is their choice if they want to turn away customers and tick them off so they will tell their friends---but that can be a good thing sometimes. I have had people get mad at me over work they didn't contract for and want it free (they feel I should "throw it in for free" for some odd reason)---I tell them the way it is, and they get mad, and say they will tell their friends not to do business with me. That's fine because I tell them that if they're friends are anything like them I wouldn't work for them anyhow. That shuts them up. ....

Tarheel Tractor

View my Photos
ljfarraher

2005-07-11          113264

How true you are..as for obligated to work on it..they are not..it IS their decision to work on it.
I work at a powersports dealership (atv's, motorcycles, snowmobiles, etc,) and we had customers we never even seen before in all the years I have worked there..come in demanding us to "bump" him in before our regulars or repeaters and those who have purchased from us many times.
Even warranty work..they think they came first because they were on their vacation time and that didn't fly with us. Heck..one even flash his big wallet full of cash and asked how much..well we tell them to get the ok from all those he wants to bump back, and we'll do it. You won't believe how that changes their mind..(guess they don't want a 6'8" 240lb guy telling him to stuff it up his ***)
So..as for obligations..NO..it is a favor they extend to you by working on it quickly..for the support YOU gave them. Even warranty work..they can tell you to take it elsewhere..and there is nothing you can do about it. ....

Tarheel Tractor

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-07-11          113273

The assumption was made that the $5k extra the dealer wanted is pure profit. This may be wrong. First, if an internet dealer that sells nationwide does higher volume than the local guy they may be able to buy from NH at a better price, so they could sell lower. Second, if the local guy is selling a machine that has been on the lot for six months they have likely paid six months of interest and insurance on that machine, money they have to recover. Third, the local guy has to pay for a service staff and associated benefits, tools and equipment, parts inventory, and all sorts of expenses that an internet dealer may not have. Fourth, the internet dealer can locate his business where the business climate is friendly and cheap but the local guy must pay whatever costs are necessary to do business locally. I'm pretty sure the cost of doing business is lower in NC than, say, Massachusetts. The local guy may have been gouging, or maybe his expenses dictate a large part of the higher asking price. From a buyers perspective it's easy to rationalize buying out of state by labeling the guy a crook, but the situation isn't always that simple. ....

Tarheel Tractor

View my Photos
Chief

2005-07-11          113278

Sorry guys.........I just can't buy the "if you don't buy it from me; I ain't gonna work on it" line. Suppose someone buys a tractor and then moves to another area? Suppose your local dealer goes out of business and you have no other choice but to go to a dealer you did not buy from? There are about 2 million men and women serving this nation in the military...........they get moved ALL THE TIME and many times with little notice.........think any of them buy tractors???????? I understand that we must all wait our turn and time when being scheduled for maintenance by a dealer. ANY dealer who refuses to work on a piece of equipment that is required of them by warranty is shameless and unprofessional. I would not want them to touch my equipment but I would make it a point to force the issue with the manufacturer.

Perhaps if the "local dealer" had to pay the $2.00 per loaded mile to the dealer of your choice (within reason) to get work done; this type of thinking might change.

Although a local dealer cannot be expected to match internet dealer pricing; I do think they can at least be competitive in their pricing and be able to account for the price difference to the customers satisfaction. Price in not everything. ....

Tarheel Tractor

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-07-11          113309

It cost me at least $500 and three days to drive 1300 miles round trip to bring my last tractor home from another state.

I told the local dealer I would stay home and buy from him if he could get within $1000 of the Portland price.

He couldn't do it. ....

Tarheel Tractor

View my Photos
jamese

2005-07-11          113319

and YES the dealer is required to do the repair in a "timley" manner,,why should he make that lost customer any more upset,,at least he has a chance to get him back at some point (attachments etc),,,if the customer gets madder he will only go green or orange,,just a thought ....

Tarheel Tractor

View my Photos
oneace

2005-07-11          113321

This can go on and on. People are going to do what they want to do when it comes to buying. ....

Tarheel Tractor

View my Photos
earthwrks

2005-07-11          113330

Oneace, you work for a dealership so set us straight.

2ndhandlion: What you bring up is a good point: What if someone moves? That's an entirely different issue, and it's a case for the dealer to be a hero or a zero for his new customer. Dealers can easily pull up your sales history, compare it to your address (new and old) and make a quick decision if you are trying to pull one over on them. In some cases, without you even knowing it, they will call New Holland for example and request special information and persmission to look at your warranty job if they feel or you have told them you have taken it elsewhere prior. The last thing they want is to not get paid for warranty work that the other dealer down the street just got paid for---makes it very suspicious. So rather than take a chance that they will ghet paid it's easier to refuse you service. Yep you get pissed but they didn't potentially lose $XXX.00 either.

Years ago when I used to buy Ford trucks and needed competent warranty work done, I went to three different area dealerships (there are 28 Ford dealers here in three counties). The first thing the Service Write up guy is told to ask is: "So, did you buy it here?" I finally asked the third dealer why I was always asked this and he told me the bit about the fact you go to the end of the list if you didn't buy it there. It's a fact of life.

I'm not one to take things lieing down so I called Ford World Headquarters in Dearborn, MI which is near my home. Turned out a friend of mine was the Head Phone Operator--she shouldn't have--but did---get me into Ford's Legal Department where a not-so-nice female lawyer pounded an "education" into me on "warranty work" (of which I have shared some with you all)! Just for the principle of that little spanking, I buy Chrysler. (And yes they are all the same but it's the principle.) ....

Tarheel Tractor

View my Photos
oneace

2005-07-12          113334

What we do and what the other guys do is different. We will work on anything for anybody regardless of where it was bought. ....

Tarheel Tractor

View my Photos
Justus

2005-07-12          113335

...."not-so-nice female lawyer"....Earthworks, that being pretty darn redundant don't you think? :-) ....

Tarheel Tractor

View my Photos
earthwrks

2005-07-12          113371

Doh! Good catch! That one got past me. ....

Tarheel Tractor

View my Photos
dieseltrctr

2005-08-28          115557

Yeah...how "rue" can ya get erthwrks?... :-) ....

Tarheel Tractor

View my Photos
earthwrks

2005-08-28          115560

dsltractor: errrr? me lost...."rue"---did I misspell something in a post? ....

Tarheel Tractor

View my Photos
jamese

2005-09-01          115790

Tarheel tractor was GREAT to work with and saved me a ton of $$$ ,,any dealer will do do warrantee work,,it is in their contract with New Holland ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login