Go Bottom Go Bottom

TC55DA Super Compact Tractor

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-14          71131

Have you guys seen this model yet. Looks like a new class of tractor is emerging and a hp race is on! ;-)

Link:   Model TC55DA

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-14          71134

Kind of goofy looking but the specs are impressive. At some point these stop being compacts though. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-14          71136

I think the this model just may have the lowest coefficient of drag in class too. ;o) ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-14          71137

Seriously though, there does seem to be a trend amongst all the manufacturers for more standard features and raised hp. I think the competition will be a good thing. Should be interesting to see what the other manufacturers respond with. Kinda like the diesal pickup hp war. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-14          71139

I wonder why New Holland did not offer a hydrostatic drive with the TC55DA? I agree with you that at some point they cease to be a compact tractor and become an ag tractor. I suppose if you wanted to run a small hay baler or mini combine it might be handy to have a compact tractor with some ponies. I think the hydro would have been a smart option. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-12-14          71142

Well I guess they are listening to my needs. I never new I had so much pull. I want one to replace the finish mowing applications and the field applications. I need the 55 hp for my large BH 287. If you have a large field every little inch of width helps.
Peters ....

View my Photos
BillMullens

2003-12-14          71152

Well, that's MANLY. Check out the top speed. If I lived a little closer to town, I could sell my truck, get one of those, and drive it to work. Cool.
Bill ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-14          71153

That is what the Mennonites do with their tractors around here. Seems to make no sense to me. They reject modern society and its inventions but have no hessitation about using a modern tractor just like a automobile. ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-12-15          71216

When I was selling farm equipment years ago, I sold a lot of equipment to Mennonites and Amish farmers. It did not seem to me that they completely rejected using technology, but more that they did not want it to change their values or lifestyles. Many of them thought that WE were slaves to our technology in that if the power went down or the tractor broke, that WE had no other alternatives for getting jobs done. In some ways, they were correct. Besides, it gave me a place to sell all those used hay balers with Wisconsin engines on them. ;-) I can tell you that as a group, these were some tough traders. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-15          71219

BIG agreement there Mike! ;-) You can bet those guys have that trade figured to the last penny and when they trade something in, it is WELL worn and used to the limit. It is amazing some of the loads they will try to tow down the road with their tractors. They are good folks though. ....

View my Photos
Jelliott
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-12-15          71221

kwschumm,

Totally off topic here, but it's a slow day at work, and I was perusing everyone's photo album. Saw your pic of your 4310 laying on it's side. How did that happen? Did you ride it out or bail?
In addition to my B7800, I have an old 2240jd without ROPS. Everytime I see a picture like yours, or hear of another rollover fatality, I re-consider whether or not to cough up the ~1k from the jd dealer for the factory ROPS. I've been around tractors for 44 years now, and the B7800 is my first tractor with ROPS. I have somehow managed to survive, but I still worry about the old jd though, especially since my wife uses it more than I do. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-12-15          71222

They have been making high power 'compacts' for many years, it was just that they were called 'orchard' models because they were only required for specialized work, mostly to fit down the rows of an orchard.

The Europpeans have this machine down pat, Landini for example have several models we would consider as 'compacts' but are 70+ hp, some even have cabs.

They also make a series of crawlers, rubber and steel-tracked, which go as high as 65hp but still have a 3pth and pto, now there's an alternative to R4's for sticky stuff..... LOL

As for road speed they have us beat there too, JCB and Valtra (Valmet tractors) and a few others produce tractors with 'roading gears' which allow them to run at speeds of 35+ mph. The JCB in fact also has a full two man cab design and is available with a cargo platform over the backend whcih can carry all sorts of gadgets weighing up to 2 tons, this is possible due to the engine and cab being forward.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-12-15          71229

Jelliot, I was stuck in a depression and couldn't get out. When I finally did manage to get to the top of the hill the soil under the left side of the tractor gave way and I slowly slid left and went over. Turns out the hill I was on was fill from the excavation of our basement and it hadn't been compacted at all. Thank God I had a ROPS and a seatbelt. There wasn't any danger of rolling all the way over since it was stopped by the loader arms contacting a tree. I just rode it out - actually it went over very slowly so I wasn't too scared. After this experience I don't think I'd every drive a non-ROPS tractor though. For all the gory details you should read the long thread "I hate my R4s part II". ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-15          71241

Time for the John Deere 9710 Super Compact Tractor (SCUT) complete with fully syncronized A,B,C,D, & E speed ranges. That should give about 55 mph top end. An aerodynamics package would be nice. R-5 high speed performance agricultural radial tires. Grad/Decel sencing engine compression brake in addition to 4 wheel ABS. Auto tinting glass cab with optional luggage rack. Heated leather operators seat with optional arm rest/auto back massage/drink holder/field office package. "JOHNSAT" gps, satellite phone/Internet Ready/televison/XM radio/12 CD changer/voice select graphic equalizer package. Heads Up Display (HUD) with voice select engine oil,temp, press., coolant temp, egt (pre & post turbo) fuel pressure (pre & post filter),individual injector line press., trans temp, press., Hyd. pump output press. engine, trans., & multi- gearbox chip detector package. Topped out with an operator Master Caution/Warning Advisory with Master Caution Reset. That should be about the ultimate SCUT. Now I have had my fun for the day and have to get to work splitting some wood. ;-) ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-12-15          71248

I don't need all that stuff. I'd settle for a self-cleaning tractor. ....

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2003-12-15          71249

Chief, The only problem with that tractor is that I would never get any work done. I would back it out of the shed and play with all the gadgets. The kids would fight over who gets to watch TV in the tractor!!!!!! ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-12-15          71250

Hey Chief, you forgot the 'Fire & Forget' bush-hog option to automatically cut all those pesky weeds for you.

BTW, does that SCUT come with a techie, us fly-boys don't wrench them ourselves........

ROFLMAO.... Is that rain not gone yet Randy???? ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-15          71272

Murf the rain cleared up for today and I split about a cord of wood and emptied the ashes out of the wood stove. Took out plenty of pent up anxiety out on pulling the wood splitter to the pile by myself. I think I must have hit every twisted, knotted, ornery piece of oak in the pile. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-16          71290

Chief, they may be coming sooner then you think. There are many changes coming here to the US. Murf is right about the european tractors as they use them for trucks there too as well as tractors. We have had some JCB's around here and we have seen what they can do. Kubota has a M8200 that is only four foot wide for vinyards with the cab. Kind of looks like the old long nosed cars with the straight eights in them compared to a normal compact. ....

View my Photos
BillMullens

2003-12-16          71301

While we're talking about new machines, have you seen the Bobcat Toolcat? Check it out.
Bill ....

Link:   Bobcat Toolcat

View my Photos
Murf

2003-12-16          71322

We got talked into buying one, the price was too good to pass up, they REALLY wanted us to have one, it's a good machine, but for the price (if I had to pay full retail) there are other things I'd rather have.

I can see however where it would be a good machine for a 'single machine' operation, say the grounds dept. at a big facility, college or university. The big problem is to use it as a utility vehicle you are putting too many hours on a VERY expensive vehicle instead of say an ATV, Gator, Mule, Ranger, etc., is not an cost effective use of it, sort of like going grocery shopping with a $250,000 semi-truck.

Personally, I'd get a utility buggy and a CUT, then enjoy spending the change left over still.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
tamanaco

2004-02-20          77427

55 HP, 4100 pound, 18 MPH, I don't see CUT in this. My dad and me farmed 22 acres of tillable land with a Farmall super A. Which he bought new it 49, we plowed, disc, and planted and cultivated with that tractor! And we called this a tractor. Man, have the times changed. Dad's gone to the grave at 88 year young, the tractor gone to a new owner. Sorry guys for getting a little tiery eyed, but shit, 55 diesel hp 4 wheel drive should really be able to do some farmin! Got to love them old city farmers. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login