Go Bottom Go Bottom

glow plug problem on TC29

View my Photos
kentuckyman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-12-01          167113

I have a 2005 TC29D and the glow plug only work intermittently. Most not though. I have checked all connections and everything is good there. Whey do these things only work sometimes. It's starting to get cold and it starts really hard without them. Anyone fixed this problem before?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-12-01          167115

I gather from you post that what you are saying is that the entire set either works or doesn't as a group, not individual plugs.

That being the case it's in the relay that activates them, the 2 most likely problems are, either the relay itself is going, or it merely has a bad connection. It's common for corrosion to affect the connections (especially the grounds) such that it checks ok with a meter, particularly digital meters, but when you apply a load it fails.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kentuckyman

2009-12-01          167116

Thanks for the quick response Murf. Yes, they either work or don't work as a whole set. Where is the relay located? I've checked for good connections on the plugs but don't know where the relay is to check connections there. Thanks again for your help.

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-12-01          167120

I'm not a blue tractor guy, but if you do a search using the search function on the site here you'll find lot's of info about this.

Several mentioned just replacing the relay (~$65 if memory serves) altogether.

I'm sure a few of the more experience Blue Tractor folks will chime in shortly.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-12-01          167122

Do doo d DOOOO! A "BLUE GUY" here! Hahaha

Could be relay but could also be the crappy ignition switch which allows dirt to wear away the contact surfaces inside the switch.

My '02 TC33D uses a relay and a timer controlled by the ig. switch. Earlier models prior to '02 use an ig. sw. that you had to push in and hold.

I had so many problems with it I installed a separate push button switch on the lower cowl which works great.

Relays are about $15; controller is about $65.

The relays are located on the right side under the cowling next to the steering column. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2009-12-01          167126

Looks like Jeff's going to have to change his screen name to "EarthWiring" pretty soon......

LOL

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kentuckyman

2009-12-02          167140

Guys, Thanks a ton for your quick replies and input. You've been very helpful. I traced the glow plug wires last night and isolated the relay and wires that run to the switch. I've already had to replace the switch once before on this thing so I'm going to start testing there first and then the relay. I'll post here what I find out. ....

View my Photos
kdsrgone

2009-12-05          167208

I can't say for sure about your TC29, but my 40, like Earth's 33 has both a glow plug controller and a glow plug timer that are located on the fuse block under the cowling beside the steering column. If you have your owner's manual it should show this and identify the relays. If not, go to Messicks.com and look at their online service manuals and print the appropriate page. Yours sounds like a controller problem. Mine was the timer and it manifested such that the glow plugs would either come on and not shut off or only come on for a split second and shut off virtually immediately. Most dealers aren't keen on returning electrical parts so this is one area where buying the wrong one could cost you - speak to your dealer first. I'm fortunate enought to have two of the same model so I just swapped from the good to isolate the bad.

Good luck finding/fixing! ....

View my Photos
kentuckyman

2009-12-14          167488

I thought I would give an update to the status of my problem in this thread. I have confirmed that like earth and kdsrgone, my late model tc29d had a relay and timer for the glow plugs. I did a little testing and concluded the relay was bad. Not too bad given it was only about $12. The only problem was, I was wrong. The relay was fine, the new one didn't fix the problem. I did a little more digging and found a test procedure for the timer on another website. I took the timer out and tested it today and it tested bad. So I'm in for another $71 including shipping. If I can figure out how to post a jpg file here, I'll post the test procedure in this thread in hopes that It will help others. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login