Go Bottom Go Bottom

New Holland TC24DA vs TC30 Any current owner input

View my Photos
1fastang
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-07-20          113708

I am going to buy a brand new NEW HOLLAND compact tractor this week.
I have a chance to buy a TC24DA HST 4WD with loader, mid mount mower, R4 tires , and block heater.
OR,
TC30 HST ,4WD with loader , midmount mower ,R4 tires , and block heater.
Basicaly same features but bigger attachments on TC30.
I,m looking for a tractor to mow around the house with , do a little loader work with ,brush hog abought 25 to 30 acers 2 times a year,and do a little tilling for seeding around 1 or 2 acers .
I was told by the dealer the TC24DA would handle a 5 foot brush hog and a 60 inch tiller .
I have been looking at the TC30 for a while but not sure if it would be to big for mowing around the house ?
I,m not sure if the TC24DA is big enough for brush hogging and field work.
I can buy either tractor for the same price.
Which one should I buy ???????
Ps if I go with the TC30 will the 60 inch mid mount mower be wide enough to mow the width of the rear tires ?
Please send any and all opinions.
Thanks.....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
brian1974

2005-07-21          113713

I gotta vote for the TC30. I just bought a similar sized JD 3320 that I use for 1-2 acres finish mowing, and plan to rotary cut about 10 acres. The only area where the size of it sucks is under a row of low apple trees...it just doesn't fit. So I kept the old lawn tractor for that area, and for trimming the various spots the 84" doesn't reach. I spent months trying to decide if the mid size tractor would be too big around the house. Now that I got it, I'm happy with my decision. If all I had were mowing to do I'd certainly have gotten a more compact machine. But with the brush hogging and loader work, the larger machine was the way to go. I'm sure the TC24 would work, but the bigger machine would make ME happier. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-07-21          113741

I've got a TC33D with Supersteer and love it. Anything smaller would be a waste of good money in my opinion. And as far as a 5' brush hog behind a 24hp CUT I can't imagine it. As it is, I need two 70 lb. suitcase weights (and the factory grille guard from a TC35 about 50lb.) on the front to keep my front end down when I lift my 3pt. 5' brushog--if I have been cutting muddy areas and the mower has mud loaded up on it thrown up from the tires or the rear caster wheel has loaded with mud, the front tires barely touch the ground --a tow-behind brushhog might be a different story (it's like a trailer). As far as physical size goes, bigger is always better especially when brush hogging over rough terrain---I spent three days brushhogging a new subdivision development (about 30 acres worth of vacant lots) and I am beat to death driving across tire ruts, over rocks and uneven ground. In some places I could have walked quicker than I could travel on the CUT! And my tires are fairly tall---imagine what tires less than half the size would offer ride-wise.

To give you an idea of the sort of power my CUT has, I regularly cut down and chip-in-place 3"-4" caliper trees in a matter of minutes.

And the 60" tiller on the 24? errrr....? I'm sure there are guys who do it all the time, but imagine a fairly heavy tiller (500lb.) loaded up with wet soil and then try to lift it. You'd be doing wheelies out of the garden! But I could be wrong...

I read your bio info and it says a 60" box scraper---buy the front weights! Again even with weights and a full box scraper I have done wheel stands with it! A fully loaded box weighs in excess of 500lb. for the box and about 1000-1500 for the dirt itself (I think??? the 33D is rated for 1600lb. lift). ....

View my Photos
MackVision
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-07-26          113907

IMHO, go with the 30....I have been pricing the 24, 26, and TC33DA's with a similar setup, and price for power and capability the 30, or the 33 are the way to go. I have driven the 33, and I know that I will have no trouble putting that thing right next to my house for finish mowing, on top of that, it will be a rear finish. I have done quite a bit of shopping and comparing.........just my opinion, but for the price, the 24 and 26 with attachments are a waste of money, in the short and long term....dont get me wrong; nice equipment, for a little more $$$ you get a lot more tractor over all with a minimal physical size increase.....just something to think about.
Good luck ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-07-26          113915

If this is any indication of the way I would vote: Go with the TC 33 !!! Maybe even a step larger to a 35!. After you buy this tractor you will find other uses that you dont want to be saying, " Gee I wish I had more tractor"! ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-07-26          113916

"continued"
After you buy this tractor you will find other uses that you dont want to be saying, " Gee I wish I had more tractor"! ....

View my Photos
jamese

2005-09-01          115794

I agree with "brokenarrow" ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login