Go Bottom Go Bottom

buying local vs the internet

View my Photos
kdsrgone
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-06-16          112488

There's been a lot of talk on this board about the advantages of buying local vs from one of the internet dealers. Here's my 2 cents. As you can see from my profile, I have a fair amount of toys. Everything listed was purchased from my local NH dealer, one very familiar to Oneace! When I purchased the first TC40, I never even checked the price. After taking delivery I did, out of curiosity, get a quote from one of the online dealers. It was about $400 less, before shipping. What did I get for the extra money - I think lots. I use all of the equipment in my business and I have very little opportunity for downtime, especially now in prime working season. On Tuesday I had to take one of the backhoe stabilizer cylinders in for service as it was leaking at the seals due to a scratch in the rod. I explained to the service manager that I needed the unit back together an operable by Friday at 8:30 for a job committment. The new parts were ordered, the cylinder repaired, and I picked it up today at 4:00 PM and everything was back together by 5:30. Would that have been possible had I bought the tractor online? Yes, but not probable. The online dealers couldn't turn the repair around that quick due to transit time alone. Would the local dealer jump through hoops to meet my needs had I not proven to be a loyal customer - I doubt it. They would have repaired it, but I can guarantee on a different schedule than what I experienced. There are also the intangibles - most of the front end staff know me (and my wife) by name. Not because the equipment is always in for repair, but because we make it a point to buy all our maintenance supplies such as filters, oil, etc. from the dealer. Could I get it cheaper at Tractor Supply or even Wal*Mart, yes, but there is no relationship. When I need something quick, as today, will TSC jump through hoops to get it - not likely. I look at the investment we have all made in our equipment, whether Blue, Green, Orange, or any other color, and I personally feel it prudent to establish a relationship with a local dealer to protect that investment. All dealers are great when everything runs, but the true test is when something isn't running and how quickly and efficiently can your dealer help you get it back to running.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-06-17          112491

VERY WELL SAID! I've been there done that lots. Nothing beats local service when you need it.

But I have bought parts from halfway across the country and they have bought a seat on a plane to get them to me the same day. It is a little pricey however. During the paving/construction season parts when needed are never quick enough. ....

View my Photos
tractorbrad

2005-06-17          112493

You said it all !! A good local dealer cannot be beat. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-06-17          112518

The key, operable word is "good" local dealer. If a dealer isn't good, I have no regrets not dealing with him--in fact I have a bad NH dealer 5 miles from me. I will drive 15 miles to the good one. ....

View my Photos
oneace

2005-06-17          112521

Kdsrgone I delivered your 2nd tractor to you a few weeks a go.

So that was your cyl. I saw in there to day. Thanks for the nice words and backing my point. ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2005-06-17          112531

Kidsrgone, so will both my kids be gone in 2 months! It will be nice to have some alone time with my wife just like when we were first married! Well, not that I won't miss the kids :) ....

View my Photos
kdsrgone

2005-06-17          112534

The user name was actually the vanity plate when my wife got her corvette a few years back. Obviously meant to imply that once the "kids were gone" she could aford the car and didn't need the extra seats! We miss our two not being home as well, but were recently blessed with the first grandchild (luckily a boy for Pappy's sake). He already has a New Holland Pedal Tractor and a New Holland wagon. Going to get him blue blood one way or another and 10 weeks is not too early to start! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login