Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kawasaki Mule 3010 disel vs Kubota RTV

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-17          100454

I have a few acres to keep track of and access and the "walking thing" although very healthy and enjoyable, I can see wearing me out not to mention just not enough time.

I would be interested in comments, feedback, reviews, and any suggestions about these utility ATV's. Thanks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-17          100470

I very nearly bought an RTV earlier this year as a run-about/chore machine for my wife.

She decided against it, she felt it was a little over-kill for what we needed. We decided a golf cart was better suited to what she wants it for.

However, there is now another alternative.

For those who need something more than a golf cart, which is great for golf, but without some mod's is a poor choice for any kind of work or off-roading, but less than an RTV, Bombardier (Sea-Doo, Ski-Doo & ATV's) has just brought out a new beast.

It is called a Sarasota 1000, it is very much like a golf cart, but a lot more beefy where it counts. It is a 2 seater, side by side format, with a utility box behind the seats, the box dumps manually and has a drop tailgate. It is only powered by a 250cc 4 stroke that puts out a whopping 8hp, but it really works, the CVT is geared down low, top speed is only 15 mph, so they squeeze all the power out of that little engine. It only weighs 650 pounds.

Best of all, the price, US$5,000 !!!!

Me thinks I see one under the Christmas tree.

Best of luck. ....

Link:   Bombardier Sarasota 1000

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-11-17          100471

"Best of all, the price, US$5,000 !!!!"

It has cup holders too! :-) ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-11-17          100480

Deere lists what looks like the same exact unit for $3,999 ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-11-17          100482

Randy, in my neck of the woods, diesel Mules and RTV's are virtually the same price.

That said, the Mule still uses a drive belt(I think) while the RTV has a three speed HST. The Kubota is also about 300 pounds heavier. As far as I am concerned, that kicks it up into a different class. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-11-18          100495

Actually what Deere is selling is not the same unit, at least not completely.

Bombardier sells Deere a 'rolling chassis' which then gets, as most small Deere products do, a Kawasaki motor. In the case of the JD offering, you have the choice of 2 engines, a 8hp and for $1,000 more a 10hp Kawasaki mill.

The Sarasota runs a Bombi motor, the same air-cooled motor they run in their ATV's.

I've driven both, IMHO the Bombi is a far superior unit, well worth the extra g-note. Kind of like the difference between a Fiat 124 and a Lada, the same unit on paper.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-11-18          100497

I really like the mechanical aspects of the RTV but it would be great if Kubota could incorporate the extra hp and speed of the Kawasaki 3010 Mule. 30 hp would be a good figure for low end performance and top end speed. The speed of the smaller ATV's is great but carrying tools and cargo is a no go. Pulling a trailer behind an ATV would be a PIA.

How durable and strong is the CVT transmission of the 3010 Mule? ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-11-18          100501

Chief, I've run the mule but not head to head with the RTV900 to see if there was a speed difference but there didn't seem to be any. I've also towed a 9x18 load of wheat straw for 2 miles in middle range and was able to tow at 15 to 18 mph consistantly on near flat road. That included removing it from the field as well as on the road which I as well as spectators were quite shocked with. For people that are doubters of the hydro I was with heat gun in hand and it didn't increase the normal running temperature at all. I would wonder what the need for more power or speed especially both would do to the liability of the units would be? ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-11-18          100502

You really wouldn't want more top speed. All of these units are so short coupled that they get really squirrelly over 25-30 mph.

I discovered that part of my complaint about lack of power was due to a severely clogged air filter. Summer months here are extremely dusty and will clog the air filter in just a few hours. I have to figure out a cleaner place to draw the air from.

Clean air filters, a change to synthetic motor oil, switching to Super UDT and a reduction to 23 inch wheel size should give me more power on the hills. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-11-18          100503

I don't know if it will help you any, but a lot of the golf course units I am seeing have a modified air intake snorkel installed, sort of like what military vehicles run.

They run plastic pipe up to the roof level and draw the air from there, they also use a simple cyclonic trap like those found on most CUT's to remove a good portion of the particles before they even get to the filter.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-11-20          100625

Murf, we are lucky to have the moisture we do so we don't get into the dry dust that some do. The vertical air intake at the top of te cabs are used in quite a few areas of the world. While in Austraila this spring I saw many veichles equipped that way for the desert areas. ....

View my Photos
blackdonkey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-12-24          102902

I had a full sized gasoline Kawasaki Mule before my Kubota RTV900. We used the mule for everything possible on our 800+ acres. I thought I was up-grading with the 900RTV,but now this unit WILL NOT come out of reverse when you hve backed up a slope and are in a bind that you cann't move. I have had no luck with Kubota warranty(18 hrs on machine). Engine temp guage doesn't work either and they can't fix that so far. A Kubota dealer doesn't want to do warranty wor,seemingly, if you didn't purchase your vehicle at that dealership,either. Not happy so far. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-12-25          102908

When backing up a hill many units won't release with out difficulty. When you do back up stop with the brakes! Then the transmission is not doing the stopping for you and it should release. ....

View my Photos
blackdonkey

2004-12-26          102931

Thanks for the post. When backing up a grade should I keep accelerating , stop with the brakes and then decelarate? I appreciate your help. Thanks. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-12-26          102939

Stopping with the brakes is the most important as what is happening is the range transmission is left under load which is the problem. The temperature gauges don't seem to move much with the Kubotas but from time to time every one gets a bad part. As you get more hours on it and the gears get a little more used the problem will fade away. This is nothing new and there are many machines that have this problem on different ends of there life cycle. When new from the tightness and when old with many thousands of hours from sloppy shifting fork rails and slides. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-12-26          102942

Set the hand brake AND step on the brake pedal before you shift out of reverse.

When I do this I can feel the transmission "relax" and it shifts very easily. ....

View my Photos
lucerne

2005-01-14          104250

Someone was talking about welding their front axle on their Kubota RTV, and said it lacked power, or they wanted a diesel in their Kawasaki. Here is an RTV with a choice of 48 or 65 hp diesel front and rear diff lock and 4000lb dump body capacity. ....

Link:   Ultra Rtv

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-01-15          104252

The only thing that comes to mind looking at the pictures is...... steroids. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2005-01-15          104263

Anyone want to help me we setting a price on one of those with 800 hours on it? They are interested in the Kubota and I'm leary of such unique units. ....

View my Photos
monkeyman

2005-02-07          105660

LUCERNE where are those at? And how much? Not that looks like a machine. ....

View my Photos
uvafan

2005-02-16          106220

We are considering buying a kabota work style rtv. Are the Kawasaki's better and if they are how so? Do you know the price? We have a cattle farm - we have looked at the polaris and kabota seems the way to go. Any advice would be appreciated.

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-02-16          106224

The big selling point for me was the difference in the transmissions.

Last I heard, everybody out there is still using rubber drive belts to get the power to the wheels. Belts become troublesome when exposed to water and must be replaced when worn. Kubota adapted the proven 3 speed HST from the 2910 class of tractors to drive the wheels.

The Kawasaki might be quicker (not faster)due to its lighter weight and probably gets a bit more horsepower to the wheels. The RTV transmission takes more horsepower to run.

I think the Kubota design makes it easier to fit with accessories such as windshields and cabs and I believe the are more work vehicle type options for the RTV.

Both diesels, Kawasaki and Kubota are about the same price as basic models... roughly $10K. ....

View my Photos
blackdonkey

2005-02-16          106254

We farmed ( row crop & cattle) until semi retirement. Had a Kawasaki 4 wd mule until last December. I sold it and then bought a Kubota RTV 900 without having the oppurnity to really test drive one in the field. I use it every day to feed with and misc chores around the farm. In my opinion they are overated. The transmission is slow (and often difficult) to shift. Also, there is no glove box or standard cargo space under the hood. The power steering is great! Also, Kubota doesn't seem interested in consumer assistance. This was not a problem with Kawasaki. Our Kawasaki wqs early 90's model & used hard. We have to cross water in the pasture EVERY day. This is only my opinion as a Work vehicle. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login