Go Bottom Go Bottom

Mitsubishi MT372 does not start

View my Photos
ackley
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2015-07-29          193236

I have a Mitsubishi mt372 that i can't get started. I have owned the tractor for four years. I was mowing the other day and it felt as though i was running out of fuel. I shut it down and returned the next day filled it up with diesel and tried to finish mowing. It started right up and ran just fine for another 45 minutes until it started to feel as though it was running out of fuel again. Knowing that it wasn't, i didn't shut it down but let it continue to run. While doing this it would idle up and down on its own and continued to do so for about 2 minutes until it finally died. I removed the fuel bowl and cleaned it, replaced the fuel filter, charged the battery, bled the entire fuel system, and checked the air filter. The engine turns over with enough rpm to start, I've had it long enough to know what it takes to start it, but only puffs black smoke. I did get it to run off of gas fumes but that's the only way it will run. Hopefully someone can give me an idea of something I'm not thinking of or tell me to just cut my losses. Thank you

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
lsheaffer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2015-07-30          193241

you bled the screws on the fuel bowl & the injector pump? ....

View my Photos
Handiman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2015-09-04          193544

You may have a clogged fuel line within the fuel tank. Pull the hose and see if it free flows. Often small wood chips get in even when you think they can't. I found mine was clogged where it went into an elbow before getting to the filter. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2015-09-04          193545

I agree it sounds like clog in the fuel tank. Could be something floating in the fuel tank. ....

View my Photos
ackley

2015-09-05          193549

Thank you all for replying to my post! I took the line of tho bottom of the fuel tank and fuel flows freely out of it. I cracked all of the lines at the injector pump, at the injectors, and pulled the injectors out sooth line connected. I got fuel each time and the injectors will spray a stream that i would say shoots a good 8 inches before it drops. I have no idea what sort of pressure it is making our is supposed to have but it is getting fuel at every point that i can check. ....

View my Photos
lsheaffer

2015-09-05          193550

Did you bleed the screws on the fuel bowl & the injector pump? That is the proper way to bleed the fuel system. Messing with the injectors & lines is not necessary. ....

View my Photos
ackley

2015-09-05          193553

I did, i think. The fuel bowl was empty after i checked filer and cleaned the sediment from the bottom of it. I loosened the screws on the top until it filled with fuel and then went down the lines bleeding pump, injectors, ect... I've done this twice now to the same end, turn over with black smoke but will only run on gas fumes ....

View my Photos
fredrick06

2015-09-05          193554

Perhaps you have a injector leaking, causing to much fuel. I would pull the injectors and if they are ok do a cylinder compression check. I wouldn't write it off just yet. Good luck. ....

View my Photos
ackley

2015-09-05          193559

Thank you i'm taking out to a guy later today to to see if he can figure it out ....

View my Photos
lsheaffer

2015-09-05          193569

Did you leave the screws on the fuel filter & the injector pump open till no air bubbles came out? ....

View my Photos
ackley

2015-09-06          193571

Thank you i'm taking out to a guy later today to to see if he can figure it out ....

View my Photos
crabapple

2015-09-06          193581

It sounds as though you have adequate fuel flow and pressure at the injectors, so if the injectors are okay and diesel fuel is free of water and otherwise okay I would check for other problems.
1. Make sure all of the fuel line fittings are tight from the tank, fuel bowl, inlet/outlet at injector fuel pump and at injectors at engine.
2 Remove the air filter and make sure there is nothing blocking air flow inside the filter housing to the engine.

3. Make sure the engine is turning over fast enough for the engine to start. Even though the battery may be checking good as to voltage, it may still be too weak to start the engine. Try another battery if you have one, if not hook up some jumpers from another vehicle. If there is any doubt about the battery take it to auto zone or advance auto and have them check under load.
4. You did not mention your glow plugs but, I am sure you made sure they work and are using them. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login