Go Bottom Go Bottom

2000 Mercedes SL500 Door issue

View my Photos
kick99
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2012-01-11          182008

The driver side door of my car is making a popping sound as the door is opened and closed. It is typically two pops per open/close. The issue seems to be a bi-metal strip that is attached to the car and passes into the door. I suppose this is some means to aide in keeping the door at a certain position.

I attempted to oil/grease the area with no success. Noise is now louder than before. What should I do? Is there a "home remedy" that I can attempt?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-01-12          182053

No idea on your car but on most any brand I know would say you have either a sheet metal rub or even a screw catching. Possibly a lose hinge. ....

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-01-13          182062

I've never had an S-Class, but assume the door engineering is similar to the E-classes I've owned. If true, I think that's the secondary hinge that holds the door half-way open (like in confined spaces). If it's a one-piece, it's likely bent - and the popping noise is from one of the pins, probably the one inside the door. If it's a two-piece, it's likely the center hinge pin is worn.

//greg// ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login