Go Bottom Go Bottom

Looking for comments on a MF GC2300

View my Photos
psimonson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-05-11          54668

I am considering either a John Deere 2210 or MF GC2300 and would appreciate any input I can get to help me decide what to buy.
As background, I mow about 2 acres of smooth lawn with few obstructions so I'm planning to get a 60/62" mid-mount deck. I have a 400' driveway with about a 50' rise so a 2-stage snow blower is in order for Connecticut winters along with a front end loader for general maintenance work. I just received a deposit on my Simplicity Legacy that was the same wheelbase and width, and had similar attachments, but I want to upgrade to 4WD and diesel.
I looked at the Kubota BX2200 as well since all three tractors are so similar, but I found it a bit uncomfortable to use the hydrostatic control with my 6-3 height and long legs. The MF is also a rocker pedal design but it seems more comfortable.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Pacesetter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-05-13          54815

I test drove a Massey 2300 when they first came out. I knew from the get-go it was too small for my use, but I was impressed with it. One feature, the rear mounted radiator, I especially liked as the radiator in my Honda constantly gets clogged with lawn debris. IF you have a good dealer, and IF the price is right (under $13,500 with FEL and mower) I would strongly consider it. IF you like the JD as well and the deal and dealer are as good, I would personally go with the JD, if only because of resale value and parts availability.
Pacesetter ....

View my Photos
psimonson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-05-13          54818

Thanks for your thoughts. I got similar pricing for both brands so I think I will go with the Deere because of resale and parts, plus the JD dealer is 35 miles closer. ....

View my Photos
dave27

2003-07-15          59541

Go with the massey, period. The parts availbility is just as good, but less expensive, and if it is more comfortable, you will be happier to use the machine. When I got my new tractor about a year ago, it was one of the hardest decisions I thaught i would ever make, now after using it for a year the only thing i worry about is being comfotable after six hours of sitting on the machine...And I am on my massey... ....

View my Photos
leshsouth

2003-08-04          60886

My GC2300 got delivered on Saturday morning and is a great sub compact. Looked at JD but dealer didn't seem real interested in helping answer my questions on a entry level machine. Looked at kubota but was really turned off by the BX2200 HP rating of 3200rpm compared with 2600 on the 2300. Ran a 48" rotary cutter for 5 hours over the weekend and was amazed at how well the tractor handled it never lugged the engine. Dealer was a good selling feature. The Kubota and 2300 seemed harder to get since they are selling like mad due to low interest rates. 2300 15% down and 0% interest for 3 years. Dealer had 6 names on the waiting list to look at the tractor I got. ....

View my Photos
eeglot

2003-09-08          63400

I just got a 2300, unreal tractor. A good friend of mine has the BX2200 Kubota, and it is better than that IMO. The powerband is different, it has a very smooth hydrostatic. I have found that the bucket can lift and handle a lot of weight despite not having a rear ballast. I am running the MF2325 60 in mower, and it cuts absolutely flawless. AT the moment I am just dealing with a leaking gearbox ont he mower. Not sure if it was overfilled from the factory...I dont see a breather for it, or the top plate gasket needs to be replaced. At any rate it's a minor issue compared to the rest of the Tractor. I highly reccomend this tractor if you are looking for a sub-compact.

Eric ....

View my Photos
slbroug

2003-09-18          64285

eeglot,

Please update us on your mower deck leak. I was leaning toward a Kubota BX today until the dealer (~10 minutes away) would not agree to a home demo of the machine. M-F GC2300 is a nice alternative & if my experience is typical, Kubota needs competition to wake up and relearn what service is. I definitely won't be buying orange at the dealer in Harvard. BTW, the M-F dealer is 50 mi away and the demo machine will be here this weekend. Yeah! ....

View my Photos
eeglot

2003-09-25          64841

How did the Demo go?? :) I had the gearbox replaced on the mower deck. The o-ring had been sheared apart. Apparently, it was just a fluke, and possibly was not seated 100% from the factory and the gears too the o-ring out?? Not sure. Anyways it was replaced and all is well now.

Attention new GC2300 owners............Please chime in; a question for you all: Do you all here the hydrostatic system, and or pump Buuuuzzzzz, buuuuzzzz at idle after it has been warmed up good, say after a 1/2 hour of use??
I noticed this with mine, and just wanted to make sure this was normal, and see if anyone else had experienced this

Thanks
Eric ....

View my Photos
eeglot

2003-09-25          64863

It appears to be hydralic lines vibrating making the noise, when it gets real warm, doesnt appear to be a worry. It seems like its the lines that you can feel from under the left rear wheel, and go foward inside the frame toward the dash area, (UP), probably power steering lines. WEll they vibrate like a son of a gun, especially when the fluid starts to get real warm. for what it's worth, even after an hour of work, I can still touch the Loader movement distribution block, (joystick), it is very warm to the touch, but I can hold my hand on it for 10 sec or so, before it feels like it may start to burn.

this buzzing, or humming noise had me baffled and worried for a while, because I thought it was a pump or something, but it appears to be power steering lines, just vibrating like crazy from the high pressure, vibrating very similar to one of those Brookstone back massagers :) If I move the lines slightly or grab them, it changes pitch. It also feels lie they are going to vibrate my fingers numb.

Despite that, I love the tractor, I just moved and spread out two dump truck loads of clay fill that was wet and extremely heavy. It was about 20-25 yards of fill. I had it all spread out in under two hours, scooping and taking buckets 30 yards away. Its got plenty of power and the Motor does not winch or lug at all at any task. If you are doing some heavy lifting, like this clay, I would recommend a ballast for the rear. It got a little hairy there a couple times with the loader full, especially if you are on uneven ground.
I love this Tractor. I will admit that most of the Dealers I talked to are not real well versed with it yet. They dont know a whole ton about it, and have not spent much time operating it; so I have been trying to figure out it's ways on my own.
If your thinking of a subcompact, this IS the one to get. I am sure DEaler awareness will get better over time.

Eric ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-09-25          64864

If they vibrate that much I'm sure they will eventually fatigue and fail. There have been reports of similar failures caused by vibration on other brands. You might want to ask your dealer if there's a fix or, if not, pass the complaint up the ladder to MF to notify the engineers. ....

View my Photos
slbroug

2003-09-25          64873

eeglot,

My GC2300 demo went fine. I had a hard decision since I use a commercial mower and needed the GC2300 60" MMM to be my primary mower to be a fit. While the cut is fine, I doscovered that without a mulching kit ($360 add'l), it is not a match for my Gravely WB mower. The loader is a gem and the whole unit is very solid, but I put off buying for now. I do hope your P.S. hydraulic line issue does not become a bigger problem downstrean. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-26          64886

If I had a tractor that I was selling and it vibrated the lines like that I'd have it in the shop. You do have a problem and that is not normal. Something is starving for oil or has to much, but my first thought is starving. ....

View my Photos
44trxfun

2003-09-26          64892

I've had the GC2300 for about a month now, but so far have only used it for mowing. Dealer picked it up yesterday to install hydraulics for loader and snowblower. Will get it back Monday, with implements; I can't wait! I will give a listen for hydraulic buzz you're talking about. So far, can't say I have heard it.

I agree with you that it seems to be a great machine. Time will tell... ....

View my Photos
eeglot

2003-09-26          64919

if something was starving, dont you think I would see a decrease in performance in the power steering or other hydralic function? I dont know.I have talked to several dealers and even called Massey service, Massey said that as long as the lines are secure, and dont risk vibrating on metal, it should not be a problem. Massey did say that at idle they will vibrate, and it should go away as the tractor is throttled up. I checked all the lines and they are not as risk.
4X4, do me a favor when you get your tractor back........use it for a half hour or so,a nd check those lines just inside the Left framerail, about midline between seat and dash, they are hardened plastic hydralic lines, two of them together, and see if yours seem to vibrate, after your machine is warm. On mine you can just hear the humming at idle.

Thanks for the input

Eric ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-26          64921

Do you know if it less then the next one? Do you know that that one might not also have a design flaw like yours might have or just a weak spring in a relief valve? Lines vibrate due to uneven flow which will cause premature line failure versus a smooth flow. ....

View my Photos
eeglot

2003-09-26          64935

well now I feel like I'm loosing my mind, cause I used it last night for a while, and just had it running for a half hour, and the lines vibrated a little, but not enough to cause any buzzing or humming, granted today the fluid did not get as hot as last night and the other day, it very well could be the relief valve setting or spring. The logistics of bringing it to the dealer is tough for me, and one dealer close by will come look at it, but they said they would have to charge me for the home trip. So I will have to make a decision here on what to do. My guess is right now that the fluid is not getting hot enough to cause the vibration, its been cool outside the last day or so. The dealer I bought it from is 2.5 hours away. I will call them, and see if they will send someone down to check it.

Thanks for the insight Art. If you had to guess, would you say the relief valve is bad on it?

Eric ....

View my Photos
44trxfun

2003-09-27          64966

Eeglot, I'll be sure to check this out Monday after the tractor is delivered. Also, if I remember, I'll ask my dealer about it. I'll keep you posted. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-09-27          64970

I think if it were my tractor I would let it break-in. When is the first major fluid change on your GC ? Is it 50 hours like most tractors?

Why not get to the milestone, change out the fluids and filters and see if things settle in? ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-27          64995

That would be one of my first thoughts. I would compare yours to another if you can. It might be something that is common to them that they feel is okay or haven't thought of it as a problem yet. ....

View my Photos
eeglot

2003-09-28          65019

sounds like good sound advice......prolly just me obsessing a little too much just because it's brand new. I could see possibly most people would not even notice something like this. I only have 20 hours on it, services not until 50 hours, barely broken in.
Ill keep you all posted, thatks for the help, yaa 4x4, let me know what you see when you get yours back. BTW, should I go front mount or rear mount blower for this winter??

Eric ....

View my Photos
44trxfun

2003-09-29          65076

Sorry Eeglot; no delivery today. Stay tuned... ....

View my Photos
44trxfun

2003-09-30          65174

Eeglot, tractor was delivered today and I just finished using the loader for about an hour. I didn't notice the noise you heard. I asked the dealer about it. He said he hadn't heard anything about that either. I'll post here if anything changes.

Good luck... ....

View my Photos
600hpe

2003-10-02          65276

thanks for checking, did you happen to feel those power steering lines under the left side frame? It may not be real noticble for some people as far as noise. I am just saying that it sounds quite different, the hydralics, from cold fluid to warm fluid. might hear a slight humming, just like a PS pump, in fact some of the noise is coming from the PS pump and lines that go to it from the transmission. It actually seems somewhat less now since I got over 20 hours. But, I can still hear it when the fluid gets real warm.
Thanks for the reply

Eeglot ....

View my Photos
44trxfun

2003-10-03          65478

Nope; not yet. I'll get to it this weekend! ....

View my Photos
44trxfun

2003-10-13          66109

Eeglot, I've got about 20 hours on the tractor now, the last 5 or 6 with hydraulic implements. I did feel the lines to see if they were vibrating, but they weren't. At one point, I thought I heard the hum you heard, but it subsided quickly and I haven't heard it since. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner; I was out of commission for a week or so with the crud and we've had company visiting. ....

View my Photos
dledwards

2003-10-17          66427

I purchased a GC 2300 in April, 2003, with the 2325 60" mower, and it is super fine....I also use a 4' brush-hog at times with this tractor.
I use it on 6 acre field, very impressed. NO real problems. I now have over 50 hours on this tractor.

View my Photos
jim

2004-11-11          100252

awsome machine I have a 2310 with a hoe and man this thing smoked the deere and mr-kuboto. but hte only thing I ran into is the hydrostatic oil filter placement fopr it hangs low and I hit it on some uneven terrain "dirt mounds" well it broke off and the dealer charges $1100.00 for this joyous occassion. if you have a mid mounted impliment you need not worry about this. but be carefull. ....

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2004-11-12          100266

"I have a 2310 with a hoe and man this thing smoked the deere and mr-kuboto. but hte [sic.] only thing I ran into is the hydrostatic oil filter placement fopr it hangs low and I hit it on some uneven terrain "dirt mounds" well it broke off and the dealer charges $1100.00 for this joyous occassion."

How is $1100 in repairs "smoking" Deere and "Mr. Kuboto", perhaps you could enlighten me? ....

View my Photos
vwdoctor3

2004-11-14          100313

well lets just say that I use this thing for all its worth and if I was paying more attention to what I was not suposed to be driving over I would be fine.
but as far as smoking deere and mr-kuboto I had the bx23 and the smallest deere equivelent up on the range with my brother in law and my next door neibor and we put them through the test then swapped and we all agreed that the massey was the smoothest and had the most powerfull hydraulics. then with pricing the deere at almost $1700.00 more and mr-kuboto at $200.00 less and the kubota dealer is 10 minutes away we still chose the massey. it was kind of funny to see three tractors in the yard when I got home from work. wish I could have seen the drivers faces dropping them of. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2005-03-07          107502

I just received a deposit on my Simplicity Legacy that was the same wheelbase and width, and had similar attachments, but I want to upgrade to 4WD and diesel. I looked at the Kubota BX2200 as well since all three tractors are so similar.

psimonson
============
There is no comparison between the Simplicity Legacy and a MF GC2300 or Kubota BX 2230.
The MF GC2300 & Kubota BX 2230 are Sub Compacts while the Simplicity Legacy is a lawn & garden tractor.
The Simplicity just isn't in the same league with the Kubota and Massey Ferguson.

View my Photos
lbrown59

2005-03-07          107505

If you are doing some heavy lifting, like this clay, I would recommend a ballast for the rear. It got a little hairy there a couple times with the loader full, especially if you are on uneven ground.
Eric
================
Never operate A FEL without weight on the rear

[color=criminson]***************[/color]
[color=goldenrod]GET THE BASICS HERE.[/color]
[url]http://consumers.creditnet.com/straighttalk/board/showthread.php?s=&postid=410243#post410243[/url]
[color=criminson]*****************[/color]
>

View my Photos
lbrown59

2005-03-07          107506

sounds like good sound advice......prolly just me obsessing a little too much just because it's brand new. I could see possibly most people would not even notice something like this. I only have 20 hours on it, services not until 50 hours, barely broken in.
Ill keep you all posted, thanks for the help, yaa 4x4, let me know what you see when you get yours back. BTW, should I go front mount or rear mount blower for this winter?

Eric
=============
My KUBOTA BX 23 doesn't do this.

[color=criminson]***************[/color]
[color=goldenrod]GET THE BASICS HERE.[/color]
[url]http://consumers.creditnet.com/straighttalk/board/showthread.php?s=&postid=410243#post410243[/url]
[color=criminson]*****************[/color]
> ....

View my Photos
sag121261

2006-08-03          132922

I bought a brand new gc 2300 with a loader, belly mower and bush hog. I hav had nothing but trouble from it. every time i use the three point it causes the loader valve to blow out. after talking with the service rep. he told me I was ahead of the ball game, another guy who has one is already on his 5th one. well to add to it, it causes the loader to pressurize sending it straight up and you cannot get it to go down. I have tried talking to massey about this and their response is to trade me another one, based on the value of my original one and charge me the difference. this has hurt my credit and I will have to suit them to get my money back. be for warned!!!!
I am still trying to get out of this deal and it has been months in the process!!!!
any questions please feel free to contact me. ....

View my Photos
vwdoctor3

2006-08-03          132938

I have a gc2310 tlb and have not noticed any vibration.
but I did break the hydrostatic oilfilter housing off within the first 1.9 hours that I owned it "YEAH THAT WAS EXPENSIVE". but just because its four wheel drive doesnt mean that it will go places my wheeler will go.
the only problem I have had is in the winter the foam in the seat gets stiff and the safety switch shuts the machine down when you put it in gear. all in all its been a great machine and I would buy another one tomorrow if my wife would let me.
right now I have 680 hours on the machine and I do all my own services I have been running "castrol txt 50501 syntec oil" designed for pump nozzel diesels and the rig runs alot cooler than with fleet 15w40 oil. the hydro pump seems to be good and I beat the hell out of it useing the backhoe. this is a great light duty machine that will get you hurt if you are not carefull. the only thing I would change on this machine is taller tires but then the answer to that is a bigger machine.. ....

View my Photos
vwdoctor3

2006-08-03          132939

I was doing things that I should not have been doing. and it was my fault for getting rough in a mud hole with a large rock between my wheels ... OOOPS!!! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login