Looking for comments on a MF GC2300: Massey Ferguson  -- Other Tractor Brands Discussion Forum and Review Looking for comments on a MF GC2300: Massey Ferguson -- Other Tractor Brands Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Massey Ferguson Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 05-11-2003, 17:11 Post: 54668
psimonson

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Looking for comments on a MF GC2300

I am considering either a John Deere 2210 or MF GC2300 and would appreciate any input I can get to help me decide what to buy.
As background, I mow about 2 acres of smooth lawn with few obstructions so I'm planning to get a 60/62" mid-mount deck. I have a 400' driveway with about a 50' rise so a 2-stage snow blower is in order for Connecticut winters along with a front end loader for general maintenance work. I just received a deposit on my Simplicity Legacy that was the same wheelbase and width, and had similar attachments, but I want to upgrade to 4WD and diesel.
I looked at the Kubota BX2200 as well since all three tractors are so similar, but I found it a bit uncomfortable to use the hydrostatic control with my 6-3 height and long legs. The MF is also a rocker pedal design but it seems more comfortable.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

05-13-2003, 17:43 Post: 54815
Pacesetter

I test drove a Massey 2300 when they first came out. I knew from the get-go it was too small for my use, but I was impressed with it. One feature, the rear mounted radiator, I especially liked as the radiator in my Honda constantly gets clogged with lawn debris. IF you have a good dealer, and IF the price is right (under $13,500 with FEL and mower) I would strongly consider it. IF you like the JD as well and the deal and dealer are as good, I would personally go with the JD, if only because of resale value and parts availability.
Pacesetter

05-13-2003, 18:58 Post: 54818
psimonson

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Thanks for your thoughts. I got similar pricing for both brands so I think I will go with the Deere because of resale and parts, plus the JD dealer is 35 miles closer.

07-15-2003, 09:48 Post: 59541
dave27

Go with the massey, period. The parts availbility is just as good, but less expensive, and if it is more comfortable, you will be happier to use the machine. When I got my new tractor about a year ago, it was one of the hardest decisions I thaught i would ever make, now after using it for a year the only thing i worry about is being comfotable after six hours of sitting on the machine...And I am on my massey...

08-04-2003, 08:27 Post: 60886
leshsouth

My GC2300 got delivered on Saturday morning and is a great sub compact. Looked at JD but dealer didn't seem real interested in helping answer my questions on a entry level machine. Looked at kubota but was really turned off by the BX2200 HP rating of 3200rpm compared with 2600 on the 2300. Ran a 48" rotary cutter for 5 hours over the weekend and was amazed at how well the tractor handled it never lugged the engine. Dealer was a good selling feature. The Kubota and 2300 seemed harder to get since they are selling like mad due to low interest rates. 2300 15% down and 0% interest for 3 years. Dealer had 6 names on the waiting list to look at the tractor I got.

09-08-2003, 15:37 Post: 63400
eeglot
2003-09-08 00:00:00

I just got a 2300, unreal tractor. A good friend of mine has the BX2200 Kubota, and it is better than that IMO. The powerband is different, it has a very smooth hydrostatic. I have found that the bucket can lift and handle a lot of weight despite not having a rear ballast. I am running the MF2325 60 in mower, and it cuts absolutely flawless. AT the moment I am just dealing with a leaking gearbox ont he mower. Not sure if it was overfilled from the factory...I dont see a breather for it, or the top plate gasket needs to be replaced. At any rate it's a minor issue compared to the rest of the Tractor. I highly reccomend this tractor if you are looking for a sub-compact.

Eric

09-18-2003, 21:56 Post: 64285
slbroug

Filter by User

eeglot,

Please update us on your mower deck leak. I was leaning toward a Kubota BX today until the dealer (~10 minutes away) would not agree to a home demo of the machine. M-F GC2300 is a nice alternative & if my experience is typical, Kubota needs competition to wake up and relearn what service is. I definitely won't be buying orange at the dealer in Harvard. BTW, the M-F dealer is 50 mi away and the demo machine will be here this weekend. Yeah!

09-25-2003, 14:15 Post: 64841
eeglot

Filter by User

How did the Demo go?? Smile I had the gearbox replaced on the mower deck. The o-ring had been sheared apart. Apparently, it was just a fluke, and possibly was not seated 100% from the factory and the gears too the o-ring out?? Not sure. Anyways it was replaced and all is well now.

Attention new GC2300 owners............Please chime in; a question for you all: Do you all here the hydrostatic system, and or pump Buuuuzzzzz, buuuuzzzz at idle after it has been warmed up good, say after a 1/2 hour of use??
I noticed this with mine, and just wanted to make sure this was normal, and see if anyone else had experienced this

Thanks
Eric

09-25-2003, 19:05 Post: 64863
eeglot

Filter by User

It appears to be hydralic lines vibrating making the noise, when it gets real warm, doesnt appear to be a worry. It seems like its the lines that you can feel from under the left rear wheel, and go foward inside the frame toward the dash area, (UP), probably power steering lines. WEll they vibrate like a son of a gun, especially when the fluid starts to get real warm. for what it's worth, even after an hour of work, I can still touch the Loader movement distribution block, (joystick), it is very warm to the touch, but I can hold my hand on it for 10 sec or so, before it feels like it may start to burn.

this buzzing, or humming noise had me baffled and worried for a while, because I thought it was a pump or something, but it appears to be power steering lines, just vibrating like crazy from the high pressure, vibrating very similar to one of those Brookstone back massagers Smile If I move the lines slightly or grab them, it changes pitch. It also feels lie they are going to vibrate my fingers numb.

Despite that, I love the tractor, I just moved and spread out two dump truck loads of clay fill that was wet and extremely heavy. It was about 20-25 yards of fill. I had it all spread out in under two hours, scooping and taking buckets 30 yards away. Its got plenty of power and the Motor does not winch or lug at all at any task. If you are doing some heavy lifting, like this clay, I would recommend a ballast for the rear. It got a little hairy there a couple times with the loader full, especially if you are on uneven ground.
I love this Tractor. I will admit that most of the Dealers I talked to are not real well versed with it yet. They dont know a whole ton about it, and have not spent much time operating it; so I have been trying to figure out it's ways on my own.
If your thinking of a subcompact, this IS the one to get. I am sure DEaler awareness will get better over time.

Eric

09-25-2003, 19:29 Post: 64864
kwschumm

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

If they vibrate that much I'm sure they will eventually fatigue and fail. There have been reports of similar failures caused by vibration on other brands. You might want to ask your dealer if there's a fix or, if not, pass the complaint up the ladder to MF to notify the engineers.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Massey Ferguson Forum

Thread 54668 Filter by Poster:
44trxfun 6 | 600hpe 1 | AnnBrush 1 | Art White 3 | dave27 1 | dledwards 1 | DRankin 1 | eeglot 6 | jim 1 | kwschumm 1 | lbrown59 3 | leshsouth 1 | Pacesetter 1 | psimonson 2 | sag121261 1 | slbroug 2 | vwdoctor3 3 |

Most Viewed

+ Looking for comments on a MF GC2300
+ massey vs deere
+ MF 245 3 point hitch hydraulic problems,
+ Massey Ferguson MF 135 Hydraulic Problem
+ How to start Massey Fergusen 135
+ MF135 Zenith Carburetor Problems and adjustment
+ Massey 1010
+ Massey Ferguson GC2300 sub-compact
+ gear shifter stuck
+ MF-471 Split in Half!

Most Discussion