How to turn up fuel on a 231 MF: Massey Ferguson  -- Other Tractor Brands Discussion Forum and Review How to turn up fuel on a 231 MF: Massey Ferguson -- Other Tractor Brands Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Massey Ferguson Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 06-11-2001, 09:57 Post: 29142
Gary Guess

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster
 How to turn up fuel on a 231 MF

I have a 231 MF and need to know how to turn up the power just a little.The 240 is the same engine with less more power.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

06-11-2001, 14:33 Post: 29155
steveb

You do not need to turn the fuel up. Your 231 (38) is rated at 2000 rpm and the 240 is rated at 2250 rpm (45 hp). Put your tractor on a dyno and you will see it has more than 38 HP

06-12-2001, 07:40 Post: 29176
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User

Turning up the fuel or power is something I've heard about for turbo equipped diesel engines. Maybe it's because compacts tend to have traction rather than power limitations so you never heard about it with compacts, but I can't think what could be done to a plain diesel to get appreciably more power. Maybe changing the engine and spill-time pump settings would shift the power curve around a bit. If max torque occurs at higher a higher RPM, the HP rating will be higher. However, the effect only gives more power when the engine is operated at the higher RPM. There may be less power at other RPM's. Anyway, I think that the settings would have to stay fairly close to factory specs for the engine to perform acceptably over the entire working RPM range. It might be a theoretical interest on my part, but I'd be interested if there is a technique to adjust power on normally aspirated diesels. It's a theoretical interest, because I almost always run out of traction before running out of power.

06-12-2001, 07:57 Post: 29179
John Miller, III

Basically, it's increasing fuel delivery/rate to the injectors. By changing/adjusting the injection pump you go from say 38 PTO hp rated to 45 PTO hp... But, increased engine hp gets increased heat that must get dissipated somehow.. Look for an added oil cooler, trans cooler, larger water pump, larger radiator, etc. {or a combo of these things}

06-12-2001, 08:17 Post: 29182
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User

Thanks. Always a chance to learn something new. If 'fuel delivery rate' means more fuel per injection, I thought that's what the throttle does. Somewhere, I picked up the idea that RPM in a diesel is determined almost entirely by fuel delivery--give it more fuel it runs faster. I probably have a ways to go before I get my diesel engine concepts completely straight, but always am interested.

06-12-2001, 08:57 Post: 29184
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User

I answered my own question I think. Something like RPM = load x fuel delivery. The governor operates the throttle in response to changing loads up to a maximum fuel delivery. I'm not certain, but increasing the max no load RPM adjustment may increase the maximum fuel delivery to which the governor works. Like in John's post, problem may be created by engine adjustments that are different than factory specs.

06-15-2001, 02:38 Post: 29299
harvey

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

All (used very loosely) can have the fuel ratio increased. HOWEVER unless you run light loads (in which case no need for more power) you SHOULD have a pyrometer (measures exaust temps), so you do not melt down the heads on a heavy load. Temps can climb to 1000 degree +. When fuel was cheap and HP expensive most farmers and trucks got more power thru the pump. You would see a black plum when plowing or chopping. If you are out on the road you might notice older big trucks on hills or starting to move thru the gears with heavy black smoke, same thing. (Federal laws and DOT inspections, plus heavy fines are cleaning up the trucks). The new electronics and federal laws have complicated the adjustments issues somewhat.

06-17-2001, 07:53 Post: 29353
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User

I'm going to write out my understanding of a basic diesel fuel system. It's part of my campaign to understand how my tractor works. Somebody else may be interested, and I might learn something if I don't get it quite right. In a basic system, the injector pump produces high-pressure fuel delivery separately to each cylinder. Most pumps are constant stroke and have separate chambers (barrels) for each cylinder. Fuel delivery is varied by the throttle/governor, which rotates the chambers to vary the position of relief ports to vary the pump displacement. The pump delivers fuel to delivery valves. Delivery valves act as check valves and also produce a rapid pressure decrease after injection to prevent 'dribble' at the injector tips. From the delivery valves, fuel goes to the injectors. Injectors introduce fuel in an atomized state to the combustion chambers whenever fuel exceeds a set pressure. The timing of fuel delivery is crucial for proper operation. The pump and engine positions are coordinated by driving the pump from the crankshaft gear (usually through an idler gear) at the front of the engine. As such, the pump cam lobes and engine valve/cycle positions remain in sync. Matching the proper gear teeth between the crank shaft and pump gears performs basic engine timing. Placing the engine at a specific place in its cycle/rotation makes finer timing adjustments (spill time). The coupling between the pump gear shaft and pump is then adjusted to the point that fuel flow to a cylinder is just cut off. In addition to spill time, throttle and governor adjustments are provided. A throttle linkage adjustment ensures a full range of motion to the pump control arm. A max no-load RPM adjustment sets a maximum fuel delivery. I think the adjustment is a max throttle position stop which prevents the governor from increasing fuel delivery beyond a point, but I'm not certain. In diesels, throttle serves only to vary fuel delivery, which is the only factor in determining the engine/load RPM. Throttle in gas engines also varies the air supply. I believe that a broken throttle linkage in a diesel can result in a runaway engine if the engine is able to operate above the max no load rpm point and there is no fuel shut-off.

06-18-2001, 02:48 Post: 29370
harvey

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Tom You are correct in the throttle rpm adjustment. They have one of those if you want a few more RPM, not sure why you would want it unless you run the roads a lot. MOST engine companies will allow their technicians to turn their rpm up 10% and still back their warranties. AND they will also bump the fuel up some (unless you are paying for dyno time and have access, for maxium hp ratings) until they see a hint of black soot/smoke in the exaust, then its turned back a half turn. Be prepared to pay for this when the techs cut the seals and reseal the pumps. You will gain some HP by adjusting the fuel and the rpm the torque will rise some in its band. The new electronics are just to good every thing set by computer from your rpm to shift points to raising the torque 200 or so foot lbs. Just had company truck in, $850.00 to hook up computer and adjust to customer specs, never raised the hood did from connection in cab.

06-18-2001, 03:27 Post: 29371
harvey

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Just an after thought. If you really want to learn about how to get "MORE POWER" go to the local antique tractor pulls. I used to enjoy watching the farmers come out of the ... with their work every day field tractors and pull them. Them there "ol boys" know every adjustment you can do to a stock farm tractor. When I see a 730 JD diesal with a pony motor starter puffin black smoke like a soft coal burnig steam engine. You know he has the fuel WAAAAAAY up. BTW they are naturally aspired engines. And when you see the "GOOD OL BOY" drag his antique pullig tractor to and from the line with a old lawn tractor with a V8 engine on it you diffeniatly know he has way toooo much time and creativity. I'm sure if you look around you can find a division for your compact also.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Massey Ferguson Forum

Thread 29142 Filter by Poster:
Gary Guess 1 | harvey 5 | John Miller, III 1 | MarkS 1 | steveb 1 | TomG 6 |

Most Viewed

+ Looking for comments on a MF GC2300
+ massey vs deere
+ MF 245 3 point hitch hydraulic problems,
+ Massey Ferguson MF 135 Hydraulic Problem
+ How to start Massey Fergusen 135
+ MF135 Zenith Carburetor Problems and adjustment
+ Massey 1010
+ Massey Ferguson GC2300 sub-compact
+ gear shifter stuck