Go Bottom Go Bottom

MF 231 power steering

View my Photos
bill1941
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2017-01-21          196167

Hi, new here and need help. I just got a 1996 mf 231,it had been setting out in the woods for 3-4 years, not running ,so the power steering is not working. I have rebuilt the steering cylinders, pump and freed up the spindles. It still will not turn, any one know what else to do to it. Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

MF 231 power steering

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2017-01-22          196168

Does this tractor have any mechanical linkage or just hydraulic to do the steering? With it not moving at all would sound like hydrualic total. You have a pump and some valving in that system. No idea if the steering has it's own pump or not but it not then there is a diveriter valve that may be the issue.

Does the other hyd on the tractor work? ....

MF 231 power steering

View my Photos
bill1941

2017-01-23          196176

I think it's all hydraulic. I've rebuild every thing up to steering column, i'll need to get a shop manual on it, before I tackle that.Thanks for the reply. ....

MF 231 power steering

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2017-01-28          196189

Just wondering, if you disconnect the hoses to the steering motor with the tractor OFFF, could you turn the steering wheel. With it setting up and if there was a leak into the steering motor if could be rusted in place.

Now the proper name may not be motor but think if the hoses get connected wrong it will become a motor while plumbed to control the steering it may be called a valve. Been too long since I worked in that industry. Worked for heavy equipment manufactor and we used total hyd steering systems and if the steering valve on was plumbed wrong it became a very dangerous high speed arm remover. I know, had a coworker lose his arm due to one being plumbed wrong. ....

MF 231 power steering

View my Photos
bill1941

2017-01-28          196190

Thanks , that was my next move, with every thing rebuild up to the steering wheel unit. I have the dash off and in the process of cleaning all the grease and trash off of the unit. I'll break the lines loose and if it doesn't turn ,i'll take it off and have it repaired ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login