Go Bottom Go Bottom

Alternator light is on

View my Photos
poapony
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2016-07-17          195490

Yesterday while I was using my tractor, Massey Ferguson 261 I noticed a burning smell but did not see any smoke anywhere, but my tractor needs a bath lots of seeds and stuff all over. Thought something like that could have gotten on the exhaust but didn't see anything. Today when I started the tractor the alternator warning light stayed on so I am assuming that the burning smell was the alternator.

Also, while I am posting how much trouble is it to change the fuel pump or lift pump located next to the fuel filter? Thought I would do that next time I do the filter change since I have to bleed the fuel system anyway. It has developed a very minor leak. Anybody have suggestions on where to purchase a aftermarket fuel pump. I have looked at a couple webpages and they seem to run around $35. I know they make a rebuilding kit but I only have about 40% use on my hands and handling small parts is almost impossible.

Thanks for your input.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Alternator light is on

View my Photos
46bugs

2016-07-18          195491

Try www.reliableaftermarketparts.com

1-888-6Parts6

I wash my tractors off after use. may save a fire. Invest in a High pressure washer. You can find one at Lowes. ....

Alternator light is on

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2016-07-18          195492

When it is dry or there are seeds, grass and ither debris etc., on tractor I use a leaf blower and my air compressor to clean it up and particularly around the radiator.

Alternator light is on

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2016-07-18          195495

Could be seeds or such built up in alternator and did some damage but follow Dennis's suggestion and try blowing it clear with air first.

As to parts for a Massey years ago NAPA did carry many of them. Perkins engines were easy to find parts for.

If alternator is issue try to find a shop that rebuilds them. ....

Alternator light is on

View my Photos
poapony

2016-07-18          195504

Thanks for the info, Normally I try and wash it once a week and use the shop van and air hose on the radiator. Have been so busy just haven't had the chance. Thanks for the info on the webpage will look at it.

There is very good rebuilding shop in the little town I live in so I will take it there to be checked out and repaired.

Again thanks for your input ....

Alternator light is on

View my Photos
poapony

2016-07-26          195583

Got the alternator off and took it to the rebuilding shop, stator was burnt up. Repair shop could find only one company that made a replacement, part was $173 plus cost of labor. Called the dealer just to check would have to order it price was $368. I will order online. Thanks for everyone who tried to help.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login