Go Bottom Go Bottom

Plow light problem

View my Photos
poapony
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2016-04-17          194989

I have a MF 261 that I replaced the plow light about 3 months ago at the rear of the tractor hooked it up and everything worked fine. About two weeks ago I tried to turn it on and no light. Checked the wires coming from the fuse box to the light and the voltmeter reads 12+ volts where the light hooks up at the back of the tractor, but still no light. Checked the bulb it was good so I pulled the light off tractor and hooked it directly to the terminals of a battery and it worked fine and on / off switch worked. The wiring harness has a power and ground so the light is not grounded to a rusty bolt at the mounting location and not getting a ground. Any help would be greatly appreciated in solving this problem. Thanks in advance.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Plow light problem

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2016-04-18          194991

Have you tried running another ground wire from light fixture frame to tractor frame? ....

Plow light problem

View my Photos
poapony

2016-04-18          194995

No, I have not tried that yet. Yesterday was the first day I had time to work on it and it got dark before I could finish. I talked to a friend today about it and those were also the first words out of his mouth. I will try to run a new ground in the next couple of days.
Thanks very much for your input. I am still confused why my volt meter would read 12 + volts with a bad ground. ....

Plow light problem

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2016-04-23          195021

Volt meter test for the voltage but it does not test for the capacity or the amp ability. A volt meter is almost noting for a load where your light is at least four amps and likely more. It is sort of like a small diameter water hose, you have pressure but very few gallons per minute. Depending on the light fixture you just need to clean where the mounting bolt is to the tractor. kt ....

Plow light problem

View my Photos
poapony

2016-04-23          195025

Thanks everyone for the information, it was a weak ground that prevented the light from working. Got that one fixed and added another elsewhere on the tractor. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login