Go Bottom Go Bottom

Maasey Ferguson 65 Tractor Starter Does not engage

View my Photos
farmerscotty
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2012-01-16          182104

Have a MF 65 diesel that I feed round bales with sometimes, well today it was 70F here.......So I fed 5 round bales and enjoyed the weather. Turned it off to watch the noon news and weather, went to restart.......it will not turn over......now I mean the motor doesn't turn. Even if you roll it down a hill....just slides the tires.....I bought a MH 50 2 weeks ago gas engine that the same thing had happen to it...and guy had let it set for 2 years......what are the odds......

Starter will "tap" the fan blade not even an inch......with the clutch peddle down. took off starter and tried to turn the flywheel with pry bar.....didn't get it 90 degrees....hard hard to turn....

Have I spun a bearing? or is something stuck somewhere else......not a newbie.......just trying to figuure out where to start.....will have shop space by end of week to push it into shop.

SPAM link removed by Mod. Reply at your own risk.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-01-19          182119

I'm no expert but I'd pull the starter (unless you know it's not jammed), operate the decompression control (if there is one) and then try to turn it (prying the flywheel, towing it, or turning the nut at the front if there is one), and if it still won't turn, I'd start tearing it down to see if it would be better to repair or replace. Good luck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-01-19          182125

Boy your situation seems like have seen it already.

So what was the problem with the MH?

Just quick thoughts: could someone have done something like sugar in the system to damage the tractors? How coolant being low enough they ran hot and locked due to the heat. How about the coolant did not protect the engine and it has frozen and cracked? ....

View my Photos
farmerscotty

2012-01-20          182127

well I have not got to look at MH yet.it is setting outside.........I think it is a bearing spun.

now the massey 65 diesel.......it could be:

a bad injector dumped fuel, bad head gasket, or spun bearing......

am going to remove injectors as soon as I can to see if that is problem on top end.

I have a 1964 mf 65 gas I just finished up that has been in the shop.....need to get it out to get the diesel in.

my shop cam is at......http://ww.com/attheshop

you can see the mf 65 gas with new paint.

I hope I have a bad injector on the diesel.....it is time to start brushhoging here......and it is my "junk tractor"
figures it tears up bout time I really need it......I put over 200 hours on it last year ......
scott ....

View my Photos
shona13

2012-03-18          182787

G.Day
If you are sure it did not get hot and there was plenty of coolant in the system ,Does the tractor have an oil pressure gauge or a warning light ?dod the tractor stop like normal when you shut it down or did it sound like it wanted to stop real quick?
If It did not get hot rdrain the engine oil and remove the engine sump caution it is heavy two man job or trolley jack this will let you see where the problem is I think it will be a crankshaft bearing ,they can be replaced without stripping the engine provided the crankshaft is not scored,don,t waste your time pulling the injectors they would not give you the problem you have.
Thats all Happy Days
Regards
Hutch. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login