Go Bottom Go Bottom

How to start Massey Fergusen 135

View my Photos
highpoint
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-10-30          174874

hi everyone,

we have recently purchased 95 acres and with it we received a diesel mf 135 with a allis front end loader, bush hog, snow blower and blade. The data plate is gone and there is no manual, so I am totally out in left field on what year it is or even starting this tractor up. My guess is it hasn't been run in at least a year. I am able to crank it over, albiet the bat. is weak. What are the trick to get this 135 to run? Nothing is labeled on the dash.
I thank everyone in advance!

Picture Link

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-10-31          174880

Welcome to the group. You don't want to start an elderly diesel the first time using trial and error.

You have the make and model so do some internet searching to get documentation for it. Or find a farmer or mechanic who's familiar with that type, and can check it over and show you how to operate and service it and advise where to get servicing and repair parts.

You'd be welcome to come by (I'm in Kitchener-Waterloo) for some tractor basics although I don't know that one specifically.

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-10-31          174883

I wouldn't be too concerned about that old girl if rolls over ok on a weak battery.

The two likely issues though between you & some happy fracturing is;

Fuel shut off, between fuel tank and pump on the side of the motor. While you're there a pump or two on the primer lever (on pump itself) won't go amiss

Next is the engine kill knob. A push/pull cable affair on the lower right (if memory serves) of the dash. If it's not pushed in there will be fuel to the injectors. They key only turns on & off the gauges, etc., and the starter. Conversely, you need to pull it back out to shut off the engine.

Like Auerbach said, whistle if you still need help, I'm about an hour east of you, near the south end of Lake Simcoe.

I'm over that way often, to the airport at # 10 & King Road.

Welcome to the board neighbor.

Best of luck.

View my Photos
highpoint

2010-10-31          174886

thx for the welcome neighbors.
Got brave today, charged the battery up, checked her all over, as best I could anyway, and kaboom(just joking) she started right up!Wow! Impressed! Hydraulics up front work, she moves forward and reverse, pto turns. Clutch and brakes seem ok. Accelerates fine. So now I need to learn how to actually drive this girl and how to hook up the bush hog asap. Winter is upon us (snow up there today)and I need to clean up the fields asap. So if anyone can direct me to mf 135 class 101, that would be nice. Do these tractors have a brake for when your idling? like an emerg. brake on a car? Either of you are close enough, that I would love to come visit at some time. I am sure I have a ton to learn not only about the tractor, but farming as a whole. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2010-11-01          174896

You don't know how long and for what reason it was sitting, so get the fluids, grease points, tires checked before starting again. It's not quite a classic antique but it is a well-known venerable model that you should be able to get manuals and local help for. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2010-11-01          174898

I have a MF135 gasser and assume most of the operation is similar. You have a high/low range gearbox and must be in neutral to start. In low range, this thing moves rear slow, even in 3rd gear and has lots of power. I dislike the clutch since pedal movement is nearly straight up and down and is on the left side, so starting is always cumbersome and jumpy. The right pair of pedals are brakes. A flip over tab is at the top allowing you to connect them so, both operate simultaneously or by unlatching they can be operated independently. For rear sharp turns, crank the steering wheel and stomp on the inside rear brake pedal. It will rip us soild, etc. Your unit should have power steering assist. Mine don't provide that much assist anymore. I believe the tractor is mid-seventy's vintage. My rear tires are loaded and I have a backhoe on mine. I also have a different brand of loader up front.

I only start mine up once or so a year and it fires right up. Mine has about 3700 hours on it and looks real tough. The original owner used it around manure and the urea took a toll on the paint job.

I'll try to answer any more questions! ....

View my Photos
highpoint

2010-11-02          174912

I was able to figure out how to move her.Have to figure out where this parking brake is. She rolls when on inclines.Have to agree the flat type clutch pedal is a piece to work on! Kind of like leaving the line at the drags races! lol. 2 tires are soft. I have to see if the rears are loaded. Would you check by depressing the tire valve, if liquid comes out it's loaded? If so, Can you top up the air (1 is soft)or do you need to fill with ??? I have ordered a manual for her. Is it better to bush hog with the bucket on or off? It doesn't appear to have quick release hyd. lines on the loader frame, unless I just didn't see them. The fields are relatively flat( just loaded with Golden Rod) so I have a good place to hone my tractor skills.Anyone know a video link for a step by step on the pto hookup and operation? I have to scout for some parts by the looks of it. The accessories are scattered here and there in the fields.She only shows 581 hours on the clock.I thought this was pretty low mileage!
Thx for the input everyone. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-11-02          174913

HP;
Welcome to the board.
I used to change work with a neighbor who had a 135. It was a pretty neat little tractor, a Perkins diesel, I think. I sometimes did his chores in the winter using the 135 and I do remember that it started easily in the cold. I don't remember where the brake latch was, there no doubt is one but it may be rusted fast. Pretty sure his had a Freeman loader, I don't think he ever took the loader off being it was a chore tractor. Your loader may have never been off either so there may be no quick disconnects.
Frank. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2010-11-02          174916

It's been a very long time since I was on a 135, but I think I recall it being a dog or catch you flip, to apply it you flip it over and step on the brakes, the dog engages a ratchet along the brake arm. It's spring-loaded so when you want to release them you just push the brake down a little further, the ratchet dog releases and the spring flips the catch clear by itself.

It doesn't matter for just adding air if the tires are filled or not, just give them air. But be sure if you are going to check the pressure, to have the stem at the top of the tire, if not your gauge will get a shot of liquid ballast when you push it over the stem.

The bush hog hook up isn't something that you should really try by trial and error, an error is more than an ooops, on these things.

Fire me an email with your address, click on "email Murf" at the bottom of the header strip on the left.

Best of luck.

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-11-02          174918

Boy was the 135 a major tractor used in the tobacco fields here. They were and probably are one of the most durable tractors ever used here. NAPA here is a good source of parts FYI. Might seem a little strange source but look at youtube for videos on PTO and such as there are some that might help you. Also look at the ones of what dumb things to avoid. Totally agree with Murf, the pto is not a trial and error deal. If there is error often their is damage to machine or person even limbs lost and people killed. A rough cut mower is not safe either if not in good shape and you again are aware of what is going on.

As to the clutch pedal some of you don't like the farmers here like them, why with that straight down design, a child too short to depress the more modern design could stand on that clutch pedal to work it. No kidding. As to the clutch if not badly mistaken it is a too stage clutch and you need to get use to only depressing it the first stage for gear changing so when you are using something with pto power it keeps running when you use the clutch. As Hardwood said they are Perkins engines. The last I know they were still building some in England and boy were they still a great looking tractor compared to the workmanship on some built in other countries. The last I know the current model was 235 but that was like 15 years back. ....

View my Photos
highpoint

2010-11-02          174925

well it sounds like we have ourselves a little workhorse tractor. That is good to know! I went up to the property today and believe I found the various parts I need to hook up the attachments. Will have to get the attachments out of the field to check them over. What kind of hills can these tractors handle? I have added some photos to the link. with all the high strung golden rod, it's tough to get the lay of the land. We don't want to use chemicals if at all possible.
Murf, I will be in touch. much appreciated!

[Edited by Murf to fix picture link.]

Link:   Photo Album

Picture Link
Massey Ferguson Tractors How to start Massey Fergusen 135

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-11-03          174926

I am talking behind my nephew who has a New Holland about same size as your Massey. He told me Saturday he keeps the FEL on it and just a few inches off the ground when he is using rough cut (many call them Bush Hogs) as it prevents or helps prevents falling into such as stump holes and running into something with mower. At same time you will be told you should walk the property since you don't know it first. Sometimes than can be very difficult. Very much suggest you drive slower than you are comfortable with just in case and also watch beside you where your next cut will be for any objects or holes. With a mower of any kind you need to run the engine to keep the (on this tractor 540) PTO rpms where they need to be and use the gears for the correct ground speed. You also need to set the height where the sides are not digging into nor dragging for the wear on the cutter but also trying to steer.

BTW, you have great offers from your neighbors there. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2010-11-03          174928

Most MF135s like mine have a Freeman loader which uses single acting hydraulic cylinders which only provide lift, so no downward force exists except the weight of the arms and bucket. Mine also has just a manual trip bucket with spring return, it also has a homemade blade. I would usually remove the bucket or blade which is only a couple of pins and bolts. Gives lots more visibility while driving around to look for large stones, stumps or whatever.

As Murf mentioned, you should get a little help with hooking up the PTO and get instruction about the dangers of getting tangled up and wrapped around the shaft. I know of a number of area farmers that lost arms, hands and fingers in the 60's and 70's. ....

View my Photos
highpoint

2010-11-04          174935

well, I have found a few videos on the various pieces of knowledge I seek! Just curious with the pto, do people actually go near it with it engaged? To me, if you get out of the seat with the tractor running,to go do something in the area of the pto when it's live, it's kind of like playing Russian roulette. It didn't show an operator on the tractor when they demonstrated the accident.
Murf, your email isn't showing up in the sidebar. Can you pm me? and I will send my email back.

View my Photos
highpoint

2010-11-04          174936

????

what happened to my "raw city slicker" header?

;0)

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-11-04          174937

HP;
You're wondering why we aren't using Raw City Slicker instead of Highpoint. OK, there may be other reasons, I don't know but when you use Highpoint as your contact name or title in the large print to the very left of your post then that is what we use to identify ourselves. So long as a the name or title hasn't aleready been used by someone else you are welcome to have raw city slicker or any other title appear to the left of your posts. Having just one title makes things easier to identify one another.
Being you are quite a safety conscious person which is great, some of us old timers get a bit complacent and likey need to freshen up our saferty standards a bit too.
You had some concern about using your tractor on hills and the safety concerns of a runnig PTO with nobody on the seat.
After seeing a picture of your Massey with no roll bar and you being concerned about the hills I think you can find makers of roll bars for older model tractors along with a good seat belt would be a good start towards saftey.
There are lots of stationary machines that need no operator on the seat during PTO operation around a farm, grain augers, bale elevators, feed mills, brush chippers etc.
If you find some of the machines you speak of around the farm that have an unsheilded PTO shaft somtimes you can find replacement shields at a TSC or a regular farm equipmnt dealer. If not get a new shaft with a shield, they aren't cheap but lots better than an accident.
Frank. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-11-04          174939

Highpoint, my guess is a moderator changed the title for search purposes. Raw City Slicker tells nothing about the real content.

As to getting off the tractor with PTO running...well we will. Not meaning it is smart but cutting brush you see a piece of metal and think need to move that and off you hop if not really thinking. The one I had no problem leaving mower running was the ground wasp. Yep left them with tractor and mower going. Seriously when you are starting and stopping a heavy pto load it is very tempting to leave it running and somethings you just are asking for problems to stop the load unless really necessary. As Hardwood pointed out that is why you need shields. Even if you never get off of tractor with PTO running recommend the shields as a long piece of fence wire picked up by spinning PTO shaft can be right dangerous as it comes toward you from who knows where at high rate of speed.

might sound strange and it behind you but be sure to wear ear and eye protection. Be aware of how those blades can throw objects and have done so in such a bouncing manner the operator sitting on the tractor has been injured and even killed. ....

View my Photos
highpoint

2010-11-04          174940

Highpoint, my guess is a moderator changed the title for search purposes. Raw City Slicker tells nothing about the real content.

But the thread title was so true! ;0)

This girl doesn't have the pto shield on her.I will have to find one from around here. That is the shield we are referring to correct? It just covers the pto driveshaft u joint area. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-11-05          174943

HP;
Your question about the tractor mounted shield. Yes and No.
The little probably ten inch or so long shield fastened to the rear of the tractor just above the PTO shaft is important and should be in place.
That is just the begining of the sheilding. The actual telescoping shaft that goes from the PTO shaft of the tractor back to whatever implement you are powering with it must not be a bare shaft. There should be a telescoping shield that the actual power shaft goes inside of that is free to stop rotating while the actual powershaft inside it is running. This is your protection from you clothes being caught by a shaft that will not stop, a properly maintained outer shield will stop if you contact it.
The machine you hook the powershaft to should also have a shield similar to the one fastened to the back of your tractor.
Frank. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-11-05          174949

highpoint, you have a great attitude!

Try this link to get idea on what a shield PTO shaft like Hardwood is talking about.
http://www.agrisupply.com/pto-shaft-assemblies/c/3500010/c2c/sc/

If you install a shield on the tractor it needs to hinge up out the way or it will be removed again. May have been mentioned above but two tips: oil the pto shaft pin if it has one and apply light coat of grease on the splines of the male shaft of the tractor. I try to keep a light coat of grease on mine period and when no shaft is on it have a rubber sleeve that is kept on it to prevent trash building up on it to hold moisture helping it to rust. This also may have been mentioned but the blades on a rough cut mower are heavy, have to be. They will throw a rock, piece of wood or broken blade a long ways with lots of force. Saw a damaged card door the stump that bent it had to fly over 50 feet and still had the ability to really dent the door.

A PTO shaft has a few important variables to it: the length, HP rating and the types of ends on it. It can have a clutch on the implement end also which you often find a slip clutch either on the pto shaft or where the shaft connects on a rough cut mower.

All this work and checking will soon be forgotten when you are out there cutting your weeds and trash flying in your smiling mouth! ....

View my Photos
highpoint

2010-11-06          174961

hello everyone,

Just wanted to update everyone on the learning ropes of the mf 135.

We finally took possession of the property yesterday. Had to wait for the courts to approve the sale. Although we had been to the property and were cleaning up outside, we were somewhat hands tied. So today I was actually able to seriously play with the 135.The various pto shafts have the safety covers on them. Tires are pumped up and good to go.
With all your help, up to this point I was able to start her, see how operational she is for sitting about 8 months (as we have learned)and get a feel for a real? tractor. Since I was comfortable with the my minimal operations to this point, I stepped it up to hooking up the bush hog and giving it a go!
I took everyone's advice for the various questions with much appreciation. I was able to cut about 5-6 acres of our fine premium Golden Rod weed! Did some hills (small)and some flats, various speeds (but mainly slow) etc. Hit a few rocks! dug in the corners of the hog a few times, but was able to keep all my limbs attached and the tractor out of the pond!Only glich was the one rock I hung the hog up on, but I was able to get out of it with my underwear still clean! Wow, blades on rock, sitting there is LOUD! Hopefully tomorrow I can get some more done.

Again, Thank-you to all for your help now and in the future.

Martin

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-11-08          174993

Congratulations. Learn to drive with your right hand on the lift level ready to raise the cutter in a hurry if you strike anything. Often you can lift the cutter quicker to clear something than any other method. Of course you may be needing to also stop and even check the cutter but you will soon learn to judge how solid a lick it was.

I find it helpful to set your lift lever sitting on solid level ground even a drive way. You want the rear wheel(s) on the ground but the sides of cutter clearing. I normally will set the down stop (think you will find it a wing nut on the slot for lift lever) there for my reference and mow with it there. That way if wheel runs over hole the mower does not dig in. ....

View my Photos
highpoint

2010-11-10          175059

regarding transporting the bush hog. in transport mode, should the cutter be totally off the ground? or are the rear wheel(s) still on the ground? I saw a video online that showed the cutter completely off the ground. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-11-10          175062

Think most of the time when you are transporting anything on the 3 pth it will be fully raised if for no other reason than ground clearance. I would be very careful about driving very fast with the rear wheel on the ground for when you need to make sharp turn it may grab and dig in if nothing else digging small trench or preventing a turn you need to make to possibly bending wheel mount. If you have some of the bat wing mowers (have never operated one) you will see them being pulled with wheels supporting them as they are NOT supported by the 3 pth.

One point on your tractor, I think it has a "draft" lever also which especially plowing you would use to help keep the plows level as you plow and the wheels hit high and low spots. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2010-11-10          175063

Martin,

There's two (main) schools of thought on this, neither is right, neither is wrong, given differing circumstances.

IMHO I prefer to use a slightly longer length of chain and two screw clevis's in place of the upper 3pth linkage, this allows the mower to ride on the lower two arms in front, and the wheels in the back, so as to allow the mower to more easily follow the contours of the ground. If you do this the mower will barely lift free of the ground for transport.

It's personal preference mostly, but regardless of how you do it, be very careful until you get the the hang of it, any good-sized load like that on the 3pth will make the tractor handle a lot different than without.

Better safe than sorry, or sore!!!

Best of luck.

PS, fire me a note, I have to head that way over the weekend. ....

View my Photos
highpoint

2010-11-11          175069

murf, can you pm me so I can send back my address etc? It says it could take up to 2 weeks because I am not a paid member.

thx ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-11-11          175075

Murf recommendation on the chain has benefit as he pointed out. The one or two things I would say to watch for if you do that, be sure the chain if fully slack clears the pto shaft and the one that caused me an issue realize if the back of the mower gets picked up a lot such as backing up a slope or possibly driving over something, and the pto shaft gets pushed enough you end up with damage to the mower gearbox or the tractor or shaft. I know, shoved the shaft on my small Kubota causing issues with the front PTO operation. I will quickly state the movement he is talking about can be very nice
The other issue Murf address is about how light the front end can become even to the point of not having enough weight to steer especially at highway speeds. That can be dangerous. Then memory said he has front end loader so doubt that will be an issue. ....

View my Photos
mintoo

2011-04-17          178008

I just need to know if someone is a mechenic as my 135 massey is throwing oil from the exhaust. Please help or let me know some mechenic near Mississauga or Brampton. THANKS ....

View my Photos
johndeere630

2011-10-09          180752

the reoson is proberley that the oil and fuel has been standing a bit more than a year...it may have got crud in the oil and fuel... But they are easy to start... have you tried pulling the hand throtle right back and then start it? But if you start it and it starts stopping by it`s self stop it straight away otherwise you could blow the engien up or siese it! If it does that then you will need to drop the back end oil and engiene oil and enpty the fuel tank...Also might be a good idea to crak the injectors...Put new filters on! Check that there is anti freeze in it otherwise you will have a craked block.And that is the tractor had it if that happens! ;-) ....

View my Photos
highpoint

2011-12-03          181480

hello everyone,

It's been quite awhile since I posted here. We had a busy year away from the farm and have not spent much time there this first year. Didn't use the mf135 that much at all. she pretty much sat for the year.
I need to find a mechanic to go over her and do the maintenance and fix a couple of leaks.
Anyone recommend someone in the Orangeville area?
I would prefer to work with an individual and not the local equipment shops.

thank-you,
Martin ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login