Go Bottom Go Bottom

Agco ST35 issue problem Looking for advice

View my Photos
AgcoSt35
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-05-18          142201

This might be a bit long, so thanks for reading... I have an Agco ST35, 130(ish) hours. I was using it the other day and it started to feel like the engine was dragging. It got to the point where the only gear it would actually go forward in was the super slow snail/turtle gear. Anything faster and it "felt" like it wanted to go, but didn't move. Any ideas? My husband came home and looked at it. Pulled up on the clutch (no, I do not "ride" the clutch, but my dad had borrowed it for about 3 weeks and I have no idea if he was or not. I doubt he was) and it seemed to "fix" the situation, EXCEPT it still feels like it's losing horsepower. eg: York raking the riding arena heading around a turn, slows W-A-Y down. I have it scheduled to go to the dealer this week, but it's a minimum $205 between trucking it and diagnosis!! The manual says something about a free-play adjustment? We tried, but couldn't fit any tools in it to really work it. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!
Lisa
~

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-05-19          142215

Lisa; First welcome to the board, we always need some new blood around here. Your post is far from being too long, the better you describe your problem the better the chances of someone here being able to help you out. By your description of your problem I really doubt that the clutch is your problem. all your symptoms point to a clogged fuel filter, a simple fix. I'm sure you can handle it yourself if you just follow the directions in your owners manual, it will tell you how to change the filter. Please get the recommended filter from the Agco dealer, not a fit-all type from Walmart. Try this first, I think you will be back to work soon. Best of luck. Frank. ....

View my Photos
AgcoSt35

2007-05-19          142223

Thank you. I will try that! Hopefully the rain with stop soon! ....

View my Photos
AgcoSt35

2007-05-19          142234

OK, so we got the fuel filter changed (with an Agco filter) and the problem is still there. It is dragging to go and then will take off. My husband can pull up on the clutch and it's fine. Any ideas?

Lisa
~ ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-05-19          142236

Lisa; Obviously I was wrong about your problem, but your original symptoms led me in that direction,. Now that I better understand that your husband has to pull the clutch pedal back up to make it go, yes your problem is quite likely clutch related. Is there a return spring that is supposed to pull the pedal back up that is broken or missing? With the engine off and the parking brake set you work the clutch pedal up and down while your husband watches everything that moves. have him squirt some oil or WD-40 on any joints that have to pivot. Check to see if anything that moves is rubbing against something. If nothing in these suggestions helps then yes your problem could be in the clutch assembly like a throw out bearing that won't slide on the shaft it rides on, broken clutch springs, lots of nasty inside things, but I hope not for your sake. If nothing outside helps, then you should have the dealer take care of it as likely the tractor will have to be split to get at the clutch to work on it. I hope somebody more familliar with AGCO jumps in here, I'm about out of ideas. Frank. ....

View my Photos
AgcoSt35

2007-05-20          142240

OK. First, I am not a premimum member and am only getting the first part of your replies.

Second, We read in the manual something about a free play clutch adjustment and have figured out what it is, where it is and what we need to do, HOWEVER they put it in a very silly spot that is nearly impossible to reach and get any sort of torque to undo the nut. DW 40 and all. Not even sure that wll fix the problem.

Third, you were not the only one to suggest changing the fuel filter upon reading the symptoms.

Thanks!
Lisa
~ ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-05-20          142247

Only non members are to get parial replies, you should get full replies. This has been an on and off problem here for a while. I'm not computer literate enough to tell you how to correct it but I'm sure someone else here will help you out. Frank. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-05-20          142251

The clutch free-play adjustment is to adjust free play when the clutch is disengaged, it's not used to pull the clutch into the disengaged position. It sounds more like the clutch return spring is broken or missing or there are internal clutch problems. ....

View my Photos
AgcoSt35

2007-05-20          142261

Thank you. So it looks like I'll have to bring it to the dealer. :-(

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login