Go Bottom Go Bottom

Live PTO

View my Photos
Findoctorkg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-05-23          129754

Hello Experts,

I have a massey ferguson 2200 industrial tractor I purchased from work. It has a live PTO. My question is, how do I engage this with the engine running and not grind the gears? I know there is a lever on the side that engages the PTO, but can't figure out how to make it work with out grinding the gear.

Please advise.

Thanks a bunch.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Live PTO

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-05-24          129757

I don't know if you have a single stage or two stage clutch. With either you have to use the clutch just like changing grear in the tranmission as that is what you are doing.

If it is a single stage clutch you will depress the clutch all the way to change the transmission gear or the pto. If a dual stage clutch you will still depress it all the way for the pto but just a little before you fully depress it you are able to shift the transmissiong keeping the pto engaged.

If you will work the clutch paying carefull attention to the pedal's resistance you can find that spot. About the safest way I know to verify, it is a dual stage clutch and for you to find that spot is to put some load to pull such as a blade or plows and slowing depress the clutch until the tractor stops.

The dual stage has the advantage of keeping a pto operating at same speed and load while backing up and such. The dual stage normally will allow the shifting of transmission gears without the pto having to stop. Often a single stage clutch requires the pto rotation to stop to shift gears.

If by chance the pto on this tractor will push the tractor (rough cut mower will do this if anything will) meaning when you depress the clutch the speed and weight of the blade and such keep the tractor moving, be sure to install an overriding clutch to your pto. A simple option from many sources.

I hope this helps. GD, GB
kt

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login