Go Bottom Go Bottom

hay bail counter question

View my Photos
jkjordan
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-09-09          116141

We use an older Massey Ferguson square bailer. The bail counter does not work properly and I think there is a piece missing. The counter has an arm that extends downward holding a spring wire with a loop bent at the bottom. A cam rotates near the spring wire for every bail. It seems to me the spring wire should hold a horizontal pin, bolt, or roller to ride on the cam.

Does you have one of these or know about the counter for such a bailer?

JKJ

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-09-10          116165

As I recall generally on all the counters the arm/lever was connected by a spring to a lever on the the knotter. When the knotter was activated it pulled the spring.

Lots of times counters were coggered up so not sure how to tell you how to proceed.

You should be able to attach the spring to any part of the knotter that does not rotate. Just remember the lever to pull the spring is triggered by someting that rotates.

Hope this helps ....

View my Photos
jkjordan
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-09-10          116178

I can see no suitable spring connection point on the knotter. Everything close to the counter rotates. The loop of springy wire on the counter arm is very close to but not touching the flat steel cam that rotates once when knotting each bail. The wire loop is about 1/8" higher and 1/8" to the side of the rim of the cam.

The cam is a flat steel plate perhaps 6" in diameter gripped near the rotating shaft by what appear to be spring-loaded friction pads in contact with the inner part of the plate. I suspect one reason for that part is to provide some friction drag. However, I can see no other function for the outer circumference of this part to be shaped like a cam unless it is to drive the counter.

Does anyone know of a web site that provides manuals or service details or pictures of old hay bailers?

JKJ in East TN ....

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-09-10          116184

jkjordan,

Can you give us more info. on your bailer? A model # may help jog someone's memory here. I don't have much experience with these but I think these guys may be able to help you out. They are mostly full time farmers. ....

Link:   Machinery Talk

View my Photos
Art White

2005-09-13          116315

You could look at most any make baler and find your answer. All small square balers run the old style deering knotters. As much as I've looked at many of them I'll try to look at one to give the exact location of the spring connection. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login