Go Bottom Go Bottom

Considering a MF 245

View my Photos
rodlauver
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-04-26          110360

Greetings,

I am considering buying a gas powered MF 245 with 840 hours on it. The dealer has gone over it and it shows new belts, filters, etc. and they repainted the engine and underbelly. They want $6500 for it. I want to use it primarily for brush hogging and maybe disking for game plots in the future. Does this sound like a good tractor for me and does the price seem reasonable? Also, what should I look for or what could go wrong?

Thanks for your advice.

Rod

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Considering a MF 245

View my Photos
AnnBrush
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-04-26          110390

1st thing that popped into my head: "Does it really only have 840 hours on it?" ....

Considering a MF 245

View my Photos
rodlauver

2005-04-27          110432

Thanks for your response. It does look pretty run down for 800 hours but that was explained as weathering from outdoor storage. The fresh paint on the engine and undercarriage does make me suspicious. It also looks like it had a canopy at one time but its now missing. Having looked around a little more I'm starting to lose my enthusiasm for this unit. Its just more size than I need or want and the lack of a roll bar makes me a bit nervous. One dealer said he couldn't sell a tractor without one and I shouldn't buy from a dealer who would sell one without it. In any case, thanks for responding. ....

Considering a MF 245

View my Photos
AnnBrush
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-04-28          110477

Last year of manufacture for a MF 245 was 1983. That's 22 years ago, so you have an average of 38 hrs per year for this machine. In my opinion no one spends that kind of money on a new 42hp tractor (back in 1983) and then only puts 38 hrs per year on it, especially in the early years. If you provide the serial numer I can give you the exact year of manufacture. BTW auction prices for the tractor back in 2003 were $3285 on the low end, $5052 average and $ 7534 for the high end. The hours are suspicious, and if it looks and smells like a duck, then must be a duck mustn't it. Good luck, AB ....

Considering a MF 245

View my Photos
rodlauver

2005-04-28          110480

I hear ya' -- I really liked the looks of it and especially liked getting a gas engine, which is not all that easy to find. But there are just too many negatives and too many other options out there. I've since seen a number of other tractors for sale where the hour meter isn't working so who knows whats going on here.

Given the financing deals on new tractors, I'm starting to look more in that direction. Plus I really like the idea of a ROPS which this one lacked -- in fact another dealer said he couldn't sell a tractor without one so again I've got something to wonder about. And I've kind of moved off the whole anti diesel thing -- what's one more can in the garage.

So thanks for your thoughts -- your info has really helped me avoid a likely mistake.

Rod ....

Considering a MF 245

View my Photos
rodlauver

2005-04-28          110481

PS I checked out your profile and was impressed at how successful you have been at raising moles. I bet with the popularity of hiking on the rise you get a good price for those skins. :-)

Thanks again,

Rod ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login