Go Bottom Go Bottom

Long 360 2WD frontend loader

View my Photos
Diggerdog22
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-06-12          57406

We have an old Long 360 with the front end loader. Problem is the bucket / controls donot seem to want to work very well. The bucket goes up very slowly, the controls have to be turned, pulled, pushed "JUST" right for this to happen. Any ideas how to fix this and get the power needed to use the bucket to move dirt etc?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
loghouse95

2003-07-01          58694

are the controls joy stick??? and have you checked the fluid level???? ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-07-02          58700

Looks like we missed one and Digger didn't get a timely response. Good thing Loghouse noticed it. Maybe Digger still visits and we can help with his problem. I'd start out by asking if the 3ph works normally. ....

View my Photos
Diggerdog22

2003-07-02          58715

The controls are joy stick type. The fluid level is normal. The hydraulic systems is not working at all now. The entire ysytems has been drained, compressed air blown through. The filter on the bottom right side has been removed, cleaned, blowned out and dryed then put back in. There are new hoses, new fresh fluid. Lines were bleed. My best guess is the pump is shot. Have I missed anything, or any little trick? If it is the pump does anyone know where I can get one?
PS Diggerdog is a her, not a him :) ....

View my Photos
loghouse95

2003-07-02          58718

when you say"the entire hydraulic system is not working" does this also mean your draft control will not function?? ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-07-02          58730

Sounds like Log may know the tractor. I'll have to be told if it has a draft or position control hitch and if the hydraulics is an open or closed system type.

You might look to see if the pump has a port for priming it or else try to fill it through the suction line just in case it's a priming problem. One other thing I'd check before writing off the pump is the relief valve. Some pumps do require priming.

I don't know exactly how to describe where a relief valve might be might be on the tractor. Some have them in manifold blocks, others have them in the 3ph or loader valve or both or all three places. A relief valve is a plunger held shut by a spring. A broken spring or stuck plunger could cause the problem. If the problem came on abruptly, you might check for a sheared pump drive shaft key or other broken part.

The bad news is that if the problem came on slowly it may be a seriously worn pump and many gear type pumps aren't actually rebuildable. The web link below goes to a site that seems to sell two different pumps for Longs. I found it in a web search for 'long tractor' and know nothing else about the company. The same search didn't come up with any dealers. There is a discussion about Long Agribusiness in the archives that can be found be searching for 'long' in the subject. It's more about the company than parts though.

There are some general ways to pressure test pumps that might be useful and perhaps more later.

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
Diggerdog22

2003-07-11          59339

Don't want to sound dumb, but I don't know what the draft control is. I do not have a manual, purchased tractor from an old farmer and this is my fist one of this size. I have completely empited and "blown" out all the lines, cleaned the filter, put in new fluid, bled the lines, replaced some of the lines. I'm not even sure if the lines were attached right in the first place.

View my Photos
Diggerdog22

2003-07-11          59340

Controls are joy sticks on the right hand side of the tractor up by the seat and the fluid is on the nose. The controls are sloppy but they did kinda work when I first got it. ....

View my Photos
Diggerdog22

2003-07-11          59341

I don't know what 3ph is, unless you are asking about the pto, and it is working. "I'd start out by asking if the 3ph works normally."

View my Photos
Diggerdog22

2003-07-11          59342

I feel really dumb, I don't know the answer to your question "I'll have to be told if it has a draft or position control hitch and if the hydraulics is an open or closed system type." How can I tell? Also, i have not up graded my membership yet and I can not see the entire relys yet. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-07-12          59382

Sorry about the jargon. 3ph is three point hitch. If the hitch works normally, the pump is OK. 360's have open centered systems but the problem may be solved without reference to the system type. The tractor doubtfully has draft control but if it does, there will be two levers that operate the 3ph.

Since the lines might not be hooked up to loader valve correctly, I'm wondering if a squeal can be heard or if the oil gets hot or frothy after the tractor has run awhile?

There are a number of things that can stop all hydraulics from working other than the pump. I'm wondering how many hours are on the tractor? I'm also wondering if there is a diverter valve? Most diverters can select operation of the hitch only. That would be a convenient way to take the entire loader out of the system. If the 3ph then worked the problem would be in the loader system. If it didn't work then would likely be the pump or a relief valve. Bunch of possibilities here but the problem can be narrowed down. ....

View my Photos
Diggerdog22

2003-07-14          59472

There is no squeal, but the oil does get frothy white. I don't know if it has a draft control or not. It has the two control handles on the top right side for the bucket, and a control handle down next to the seat on the right side. The hitch was working ok but I have not checked it since the bucket and rear lift stopped working. There is a leaver in front of the shifter that operates the pto, right is fast middle is off and left is slow. There are two hoses in the back but are / were not hooked up. May I ask what and what would the diverter valve look like and where would it be located?

View my Photos
loghouse95

2003-07-14          59476

Does not sound like you have draft control, I am a bit confused,you said"the hitch was working ok but I have not checked it out since the bucket and REAR LIFT stopped working" are you referring to your three point hitch when you say REAR LIFT??? Your PTO has nothing to do with your problem...I am not sure where the diverter valve(if it has one) is located but I would look on the side of the tractor where your 3ph lever is located... Good luck ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-07-15          59521

I'll go with an assumption that the 'rear lift' is the 3ph. I wonder if the oil gets frothy white since the oil was changed and filter replaced?

Milky is usually water in the oil and frothy often is a clogged or obstructed suction tube--including the filter. Oil shouldn't be white and frothy. A TX can get water in it various ways and one TX that had a lot of water in it may take several flushings to get it all out. It shouldn't be happening with new oil and filters. I wonder if there is an owner's manual for this tractor? A manual would give the location of a filter and also indicate if there is an additional screen in the TX. I have to assume that the replacement filter was right for the tractor, was correctly installed and the right replacement oil was used.

Maybe the problem is on the pump suction side. We have sorted out similar problems here before. One problem turned out to be the filter, although a new filter had been recently installed. The connections and loose hoses probably have to be addressed eventually, but starting with the oil condition seems like a good place.

Not all tractors have diverter valves or hydraulic manifolds. If the systemis similar to mine, a diverter is in a manifold block. The block can be found by tracing steel high-pressure line from the pump to a block that has one steel line in and two steel lines out, and it probably has hoses from the loader attached to the front of the block. The diverter is a slot screw head on the front of the block.

View my Photos
Diggerdog22

2003-07-15          59549

It did, I have not checked it since I drained the oil and replaced it with need oil. So, I don't know right now. ....

View my Photos
arcwelder

2016-03-06          194686

I know this is an old thread.
Check the hose that connects the pick up line to the pump.
On my 2510, it had a pin hole that sucked air into the pump.
it made the oil look like it had water in it.
I ran oil out from the control to a jar. Closed the lid.
after setting overnight, was clear, no water.
If the pump is sucking air, it can make things not work. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login