Go Bottom Go Bottom

Long 360 DTC

View my Photos
amnbrzacr
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-04-14          53145

Just bought a used 360DTC with a 5140 loader. So far I think the machine is great with the exception of 1 big problem: when I place the tractor in mid gear, I have a lot of chatter in the differential, irregardless of the transmission gear. There is no noise in either high or low range. Everything still works, however when in mid range the hi-lo lever occassionally pops out of gear. I've checked the fluid sight bubble next to the PTO, and don't see any fluid. WHERE DO I PUT MORE FLUID IN!!!!!!I've called the local Long dealer, they are no help. They've told me that they don't remember and they can't make heads or tales out of the manual. They ARE a bunch of inbred morons, but that's beside the point, and needless to say I did not buy the tractor from them. I've searched hi and low on this tractor for many hours looking for a fill hole that I can definitely say is what I'm looking for. HELP ASAP! Ineed the tractor and can do w/o the mid range, but I need to make sure I got enough fluid in the darn thing.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Long 360 DTC

View my Photos
Danny Bowes

2003-05-13          54817

Hello.

There should be a dipstick right beside the parking brake lever, and a fill plug(big hex nut) right beside the safety start switch(rubber cap beside the main shift lever). ....

Link:   IMPORT TRACTOR PARTS

Long 360 DTC

View my Photos
amnbrzacr

2003-08-26          62712

Nope, not on this tractor. Do not confuse the Long 360 with the Long 360 DTC, they are completely different tractors. The 360 DTC that I have is a 1999 model with 4wd, and hydraulic controls out the ying yang. I don't need to add additional pumps to use any other hydraulically operated implement because it is already there. There is a Long 5140 loader on it that obviously has a pump that is too strong for the machine. I did not see any dipstick for any part of this machine other than the engine oil. I discoverd that the PTO/3 pt fluid filler hole (above and to the right of the PTO shaft) was used as the return line for the loader hydraulics. I don't have a manual for this machine. Do anyone know where to get a manual and parts for this. As I stated before my local Long dealer is useless. Anyone have a Long dealer or other parts supplier for this tractor that is good, or at least somewhat reliable. Long is really lax in responding to my questions. ....

Long 360 DTC

View my Photos
loghouse95

2003-08-26          62747

Check out the long dealer in Tarboro,NC...Phone#1-800-4882012... They should be able to get you and manual and maybe answer your question Good Luck ....

Long 360 DTC

View my Photos
doug robertson

2003-09-05          63273

I have a 360 long, 1999 year also, park your tractor on level ground, engine off, if the bubble is snow white the oil is lowm if it looks yellowie, your looking at oil. If you need oil you fill from the back, stay where you are, it is up from the bubble and to the right, I have a woods bucket on mine and I disconnect the hose and fill there, you are going to have to make an elbow to fill, I know it is bull shit, but thats what you have to do. Good luck ....

Long 360 DTC

View my Photos
amnbrzacr

2003-10-22          66788

Ok, I got the fluid thing down. The clutch really acts up when the machine heats up. The dealer I bought the thing from supposedly replaced the clutch assembly before I bought it. I pulled the the gearbox covers off and discovered that at least one of the gears (for the mid range) had no teeth left on it. Interesting to say the least. I called Long and ordered an owners manual (since I didn't have one), a parts and service manual... Needless to say I got 3 different prices for these books, one price when I ordered the books, another price on the receipt that I paid for, and since they sent me 2 owners manuals and no service manual, I got a 3rd price when I called to advise of the mistake. When I questioned why NONE of the prices were even close to eachother, I was told that originally they had to look the price up in a book and made a mistake...Any way I think I ticked the guy off, by questioning what I consider a large discrepancy. I am wrong or what!!
While I am not pleased with having to do a large repair on this tractor, I am even more discouraged with the majority of Long dealers lack of knowledge (see my previous posts)and the inconsistencies with the company itself. Needless to say I still don't have the service manual and my tractor is sitting. ....

Long 360 DTC

View my Photos
TomG

2003-10-23          66869

Not a good situation. I don't think I'd want to tackle a TX without a repair manual and I like to have a parts manual around as well. I hope the manual situation gets straightened out.

If you get stuck, the gears themselves probably could be OEM'ed to avoid the Long parts system. There's likely codes stamped on a race that would ID the gear and manufacturer. I haven't had to do it myself and I likely start calling fabrication shops or large TX shops looking for somebody who has an OEM catalogue. There are gear associations and gear companies on the net.

The disassembly likely would have some tricks to be figured out. A really experienced mechanic should be able set clearances without specs. Shims and gaskets can be made from stock. A lot easier to say than to do of course. A last resort but it probably could be done without manuals or parts support.

Hope something better pops up. From the sound of it, the tractor should be gone over pretty thoroughly when it's torn down. Some TX top covers have parts that can fall into the TX when they're removed. Hope you haven't lost anything but it sounds like a tear down is inevitable so you'd probably find it again.

Long 360 DTC

View my Photos
amnbrzacr

2004-07-08          90371

This is an update for anyone that cares.
I've now owned this tractor for almost 15 months and been without it for a total of 5 months. The clutch went!!! I found a Long Dealer in Easton Pa that was willing to take a chance on working on this thing. I was told by many other dealers that they've never worked on them cause they don't break.....What a crock of $#&*!!!!This long dealer had to disassemble the entire tractor fromt he flywheel back, mostly learning along the way, to repair the clutch and range gears. OH!!! By the way ABC Groff Tractor in New Holland Pa are a bunch of lying thieves. They never repplaced the clutch as they claimed they did, nor did they do alot of other things, be very leary of them. Per the Long rep. who came to see the problems with this tractor cause no one believed that it was actually broke!!! Anyhow about 3 1/2 months and almost $4000 later I got the tractor back. It seemed to work well for about another month or so, until the PTO clutch literally exploded. Fixed that and the forward-reverse gear that was cracked myself to the tune of about $500 saving myself another $2000 in labor costs. Don't get me started on the problems with Long's Parts Co. and the retarded service manual. Now that the tractor has most of the main transmission/differential parts replaced and is running well, I am considering selling it...at a loss. Anyone interested? ....

Long 360 DTC

View my Photos
Raleigh

2004-07-09          90430

Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with Long. Makes me thankful I have a great dealer that has the knowledge to service what he sells.

Never had much of a problem with the tractors but he has been there with parts and answers to my questions. The 2610 (1997) had the alternator to stop charging at 975 hours. He had a new one the next day before noon. He sold his instock alternator a few days before and that's why it wasn't one on the shelf. Primary fuel pump was replaced under warranty and he came out to the field and put it on. The Farmtrac 80 had the Hyd. filter to start plugging up right before 50 hours and he gave me a new filter for it. No questions asked. Other than that the tractors run. I have neighbors that have Long tractors bought back in the mid 70's that now have close to 5,000 hours on them now. Those have proven to be tough tractors and are worked hard at times.

There are lemons in any brand. There are bad dealers for any brand too. Hope someone in your area will pick up the Farmtrac brand and sell the product with some pride and service. From my experience with the Farmtrac it's a well made tractor and operates with ease and power. I traded in a 574 IH with loader for it and after 2 months of running the new tractor I'm glad I traded. The Long 2610 has been very reliable too. Had far more breakdowns on that IH than the Long doing the same work.

Hope things work out better for you next time. ....

Long 360 DTC

View my Photos
amnbrzacr

2004-07-10          90489

I don't know what else to say. I may be going out on a limb here but it seems the further south (or closer to Tarboro NC you get) the more responsive and responsible Long is to it's dealers. Where I'm at (northeast/upper mid atlantic)Long dealers are extremely few and far between with some even giving up that line with a couple of brand new parts tractors, as Long's support and parts are difficult, uncaring or whatever. This is recent newswithin the last 12-18 months. It's a shame as I really beleive that this tractor was the best machine in it's class (when it's not broke), but if the dealers can't get the support they need from the manufacturer then how can they stand behind it to sell it????I went to a couple of dealers and they won't go any higher than $5000 on a trade and they're telling me that price is even risky for them. It looks like I will either have to give it away or be stuck with it wondering what and when something will break next. This is a real expensive learning experience, should have bought one of the big three even though they're more expensive and give you less, at least you can reasonably believe they be around and support their dealers. ....

Long 360 DTC

View my Photos
TomG

2004-07-10          90496

Sympathies, that's not a good story! I suppose I'll eventually find myself in similar circumstances trying to support my Ford through NH. However, the parts support has been OK so far.

Maintenance costs do seem to be exploding among the big-3 as well. Any one of the big-3 certainly make tractors that are a pleasure to own, but I'm starting to wonder if 'tractors in crates' are starting to be a alternative--sort of a disposable commodity idea. A major failure out of warranty can be about the same cost as a new crate tractor. Wouldn't like to see it though. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login