Go Bottom Go Bottom

Long 460 Brake Replacement

View my Photos
fullcredit
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2017-02-03          196227

What is the key to removing the brake band? I finally got the old one out, but it was a pain! The new band is ordered, but if it's as hard to put in as the old one was to get out, it will not be usable! The problem was in pulling the pins out of the band. I pulled the outside lever off first, then couldn't get the band rotated enough to be able to pull the pins out. Should I have left the bolt in the lever and rotated it, pulled the pin, then removed the lever?? This band has been non-working for 3-4 years at least. Not sure what the problem was in removing it.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
46bugs

2017-02-03          196228

See if you can find a repair manual ,and ebay is the best place to start or or all states ag parts 877-530-4430
It is hard to tell ,here what you need to know.Good Luck ....

View my Photos
fullcredit

2017-02-03          196230

Thanks for the reply. I have a repair manual, but it doesn't seem to help much. I tried doing it the way the manual said, just didn't work as I think it should have. ....

View my Photos
fullcredit

2017-02-09          196250

Brake installed! Never found any reading material on it, so I just had to figure it out. Here's the basics of putting the band back in. Put the "Y" bracket inside the housing. The bolt hole in the bracket has to face down. When both pins are put in, it will flip so that the bolt points to the rear. Place the band inside the housing---the end with the longer distance from the eye to the beginning of the brake pad goes on top, and should be put in first. A piece of wire or rope on the lower end helped to compress the band so it would slip inside the housing. The lower pin must be put in first. I used a screwdriver to pull the bottom end of the band up enough to put the pin through the band and bracket, then push it back inside. The next part was a bit tricky, but it worked. The second pin has to be put in through the round hole where the brake lever goes. I had to pry some from the bottom access hole to get it to line up, but finally got it in. After seeing how this went back together, I'm assuming the reverse would be true in removing the band. The pins have a small threaded hole in them. I'm not sure the exact size, but a screw will work if the pin is loose. Screw it into the hole in the pin and pull the pin out through the lever hole. If the pin is really stuck, you would need the proper size bolt. I hope this helps someone. It was tough to figure it out, but rewarding to see it done! ....

View my Photos
46bugs

2017-02-09          196251

At least you have it fixed

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login