Go Bottom Go Bottom

Long 2360 noisy transmission

View my Photos
len-cr
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2016-04-22          195011

have a LONG 2360 and the transmission sounds as if it is comming apart. The trans grouled when i bought it and dealer adjusted something and most of the growl went away. now it sounds as if a bearing is gone or something now that i am using it sounds as if all the gears are coming out of it . still does a good job but sure is noisy. any ideas? help. dont want to cause major damage

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
arcwelder

2016-04-24          195029

Link to Service Manual]
http://tractorpoint.com/pdf/Long-Service-Manual-360-460-510-series.pdf

The trans is essentially the same as the 360
May want to ask the dealer what he adjusted.
If you bought it from the dealer and he adjusted it to get you to buy it, then you may have legal recourse/ ....

View my Photos
len-cr

2016-04-26          195048

appreciate the advice but i need to know if it is normal, or if it can be adjusted or what and how to fix.maybe someone else has had the same problem and what they did to fix. ....

View my Photos
Imfedup

2016-04-26          195049

Noise in that area is NOT normal, nor should you continue to operate it before determining what it is. I would imagine the "adjustment" had something to do with the clutch pedal travel/freeplay. Whether the pedal is up, down, or somewhere between when you hear the noise may help narrow down what's causing it. If the noise(or something similar) was there before purchase, then you and the "dealer" have something to talk about. ....

View my Photos
len-cr

2016-04-28          195066

dealer is delf to anything..a buy is a buy and a sell is a sell, no warrenty buy as is. Didn't have area to test drive . the gears really sing in high range. I said before they sounded as if gears were comming out,but they sound as if not meshing close enough to gather and therefore causes a whining to a scream. i think if i knew how to take the gap between the gears it would stop the growning. groans in low range and screams in high range.thanks ....

View my Photos
len-cr

2016-04-28          195067

dealer is delf to anything..a buy is a buy and a sell is a sell, no warrenty buy as is. Didn't have area to test drive . the gears really sing in high range. I said before they sounded as if gears were comming out,but they sound as if not meshing close enough to gather and therefore causes a whining to a scream. i think if i knew how to take the gap between the gears it would stop the growning. groans in low range and screams in high range.thanks ....

View my Photos
krb1945

2016-04-28          195068

If it makes this noise when sitting idling you may have a bad clutch throw out bearing. If it only does this when moving it sounds like you may have a different bearing going out.

If it only makes the noise when turning it could be worn spyder gears or wheel bearings. You could jack the rear up and with engine off and rotate the rear wheels by hand, a tough assignment, to see if you hear bearing noise.

My 2360 makes very little noise in that area when the tranny oil level is correct.

As you trouble shoot this let us know what you find.

I've talked to a lot of Long owners and they claim they are tough old tractors. //Ken ....

View my Photos
jblackwell

2016-06-08          195312

My 2360 has very little noise in the tranny, so I wouldn't use it until you figure it out. I've only had noise on other tractors when the throw out bearing failed and a main shaft bearing failed. Both made awful noises. Since the parking brake goes inside the transmission, you might also check to see if it makes a difference in the noise. ....

View my Photos
46bugs

2016-06-27          195403

I would like to buy a 2360-2460 or a 2510 Left side hood panel All three tractors have the same hood. Mine came off and we bush-hogg it.. Destroyed it.
If anyone knows of one please let me know..

Thanks

46bugs ....

View my Photos
krb1945

2016-06-27          195404

You might try Stevenstractor.com, longparts.com or one of the Long dealers in North Carolina. Be fore warned though... they are probably going to be really proud of it, big $$$ for what you get.

I saw some sheet metal parts about a month ago but for the life of me, I don't remember where.

I hate getting to be an old buzzard.

Good Luck, ken ....

View my Photos
46bugs

2016-06-28          195405

I called Stephens this week and he didn't have any. But did say he had 3 a few weeks ago.

Long made a bad design on that Tractor 2360-2460-2510 with 4 pieces of metal to make a hood.
Ig you hit a hole hard one side or both could jump off as mine did.

If i can find one I will put bolts in place of clips that are on it now.. That will hold the sides on .

I also have some problems remembering where or what i have seen or heard old age is not the GOLDEN YEARS my 20's and 30"s and 40'S even my 50"s was the GOLDEN years for me. But hey I am still glad I am alive and do as i do for a man going on 71 Years old.. <}_:^) and Thanks Ken.

I may try a machine shop and have one made or both to match.Sheet metal to Fit both side with 16 gauge steel is about $50.00 and that will make both sides. Decals are about $50.00 and i can get them. Painting I can do. It takes a New Holland Blue is what Joe's Tractor in Tarsboro,N.C. told me a few years ago.

46bugs ....

View my Photos
krb1945

2016-06-28          195408

Good to hear I'm not the only one that is 71 and still working on farm equipment.

I have trouble with the fastner clips breaking especially in cold weather. I think they get dirty and we, I forget to spray them with solvent to clean them and then lube them so they function properly.

My 2360 isn't the fanciest tractor by any means but I like it due to the fact it is the epitome of simplicity.

I'll check the web later today when it's to hot here in the south east, I take a break during the heat of the day. It has been smoking here lately.

I'll let you know if I find a source, Ken ....

View my Photos
krb1945

2016-06-28          195409

46bugs, try this link... they claim they have one for $119.00

http://www.longparts.com/side-panel-p-4460.html

good luck, Ken ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2016-06-28          195411

len-cr, I suspect you have a transmission that has gear or bearings damage or replaced due to a failure and the wear patterns on the gears do not match as they did.
I have a Kubota that happened to and it is as you say with the ranges louder in high. Friend owns the shop who did the work and he says wear pattern on the gears, drive it. Have another friend who rebuilds old trucks and builds them for such as spreaders and he said drive it. Have another friend who did drive over the road and he said, drive it. So I drive it. Yes I use ear muffs and while maybe 100 hours have been put on it since the repair think the noise is little better. Not as high a pitch if I am correct. But was recommended a lubricate to add to the hydraulic oil that will keep the oil on the gears better. There is more than one of those. ....

View my Photos
46bugs

2016-06-28          195413

I have a 2360 Long Diesel Tractor with 600 + Hours and the other day my axles or Transmission started to make a noise,A friend told me to put a quart of Lucas transmission conditioner and I did started my PTO and in a few minutes the noise stopped.
It will just cost about $12.00 at O'Reily auto parts be worth a try. ....

View my Photos
46bugs

2016-06-28          195414

I did call Long Parts and the lady said the man who worked the use parts dept wasn't there until this afternoon. But she took my info and said she would talk to him this afternoon. So I'm hoping.and Thanks

Bronnie ==AKA 46bugs ....

View my Photos
46bugs

2016-06-28          195415

I am going to put a Bolt where the clips goes on my right side and if I can find one for the left. This is pretty common for the 2 series Long tractor.
Love everything else about it. and I have 5 Tractors. She will start when the others may not.,runs good, uses no oil or have any leaks but a few weeks ago my axle or my transmission stated to made a noise, but I put a quart of Lucas transmission treatment in the Transmission and after a few minutes the noise stopped. Only problem I have had with a Long Tractor except this Hood Which was a bad design to start with. makes it easy to changed Oil or if you need to work on engine. But other wise a bad design.
Also the temp here in Upper east middle Tennessee has been so hot this year. we have had a few 100 degree days and lots of high 90's. I also take a brake during the afternoon I need a little cool air on me by that time.. hahahah And who ever came up with retirement years was the GOLDEN Years was a TOTAL NUT CASE. My 20's-30's,40's-50's was my Golden years ,well even my 60's was very good. But going downhill now..at almost 71. and 3 farms and my house in Town. ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2016-06-28          195419

My brother had a Long tractor and the bolts holding the right hub/axle assembly came out. ALL OF THEM. Worth looking to be sure no loose bolt holding the hubs to transmission and all for that would or should cause noise also. Will say it totaled his tractor, took a hunk out the transmission and then his tractor is probably 25 years maybe older. ....

View my Photos
46bugs

2016-08-09          195643

I am still looking for the left side of the hood for a 2360 Long Tractor.
Any help out there?

Thanks

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login