Go Bottom Go Bottom

Long 460 hydraulic question

View my Photos
Purple1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2016-04-03          194898

The hydraulics on my long tractor have been only half working for some time, they finally quite working at all. A friend of mine said I may need a new hydraulic pump. I've looked at some on line but dont know if i need a key-way or splined shaft, or how many gallons per minute it needs to handle. Can any one help.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Imfedup

2016-04-03          194899

Most Long tractor hydraulic pumps will be a tapered shaft with a woodruff key. Probably about 7 GPM.
Depending on the model, it may have either a metal suction screen or a spin on filter in the suction line. Have you serviced that? ....

View my Photos
arcwelder

2016-04-04          194902

You may want to check the suction line.
If you Hydraulic fluid looks like it has water in it, then put some in a jar with a lid.
if it turns clear overnight, you may have a pin hole in the suction line between the pipe coming out under the trans to the metal line going to the pump.
Mine was sucking air into the pump and made it look like it had water in it. It was a pinhole made by the pipe. the pipe had no chamfer and had burrs that poked a hole in the rubber. I sanded the end of the pipe and replaced the old rubber with fuel transfer hose from Oreilly auto parts. ....

View my Photos
Carolinablue

2016-04-04          194904

I've had my hydraulic lift to fail a couple of times. The problem was the "O" ring on the cylinder under the seat, mine is a 2360. ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2016-04-04          194919

I think the Long my brother has is also a 460 and it has issue with rain water running down the gear shift lever and into the transmission. Follow the advice given already on checking the oil before you begin with replacing a pump. kt ....

View my Photos
Purple1

2016-04-04          194920

I have not serviced it yet. I will look into the suggestions above and see what I can do. I, unfortunately, am not overly mechanically inclined. But will give it a try. Thanks to all who replied. ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2016-04-05          194932

Changing oil and filter is about the same on most anything. Find the fill port and the dipstick to check the level (think it has dipstick).

One word of advice here, you most likely will be flat on the ground, if you dump that oil it will be big mess and not great for the ground or water. You know that but first time I drained oil for mid size tractor the amount that came out socked me and I lost the drain plug and well there was bare spot for about 2 years.

But my suggestion was let the tractor sit for a day or two before you change the oil and when you open the drain plug watch the oil very carefully and open it slowly. If you have much water in it that is what drains first. If you see pure water come out you have water in oil for sure and will cause issues with system running it. If there is water you need to find and fix where it is getting in and or use shelter for parking it.

Kt ....

View my Photos
krb1945

2016-04-08          194953

My 2360 got jumpy when lifting and evening when not lifting but with the engine idling. The oil looked good, and I didn't find any leaks. A friend told me it might be the hydraulic filter clogging up. I changed that filter and the hesitation and jumpy lift went away.

If you have water in the system it will usually look milky or kind of like a butter scotch color.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login