Go Bottom Go Bottom

Long 2360 D124 diesel misses

View my Photos
krb1945
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2016-03-16          194729

I have an old 1996 2360 with 440 hours on it. I was bush hogging a few days ago and it worked fine until... I idled for about 15 minutes while changing to a lift arm on the 3pt hitch. When I returned to the seat and throttled up the engine, a 3 cyl D124 diesel, started missing and puffing white smoke out the stack.

I have since replaced all the fuel filters, fuel and had the injectors, all three, rebuilt. The injectors, although the engine only has 440 hours, were sooty but appeared to be normal otherwise.

I sure could use some guidance finding what is causing the miss. The pump seems to be supplying plenty of fuel, engine idles good, not blowing oil, no obvious fuel leaks that I can see. I'm just stumped. I am guessing that my next step would be to take off the valve cover and see if the rockers, springs look normal and are pushing the valves when the engine is rotating.

As stated above, I sure could use some guidance.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Carolinablue

2016-03-16          194730

Check for water in your fuel, fuel in your water (radiator). Hopefully it just may be water in your fuel. Could also be injector pump gone bad, hope not. ....

View my Photos
Imfedup

2016-03-16          194731

Pulling the valve cover is a good idea, but before you do that, run the engine at a fast idle, maybe 1000 rpm or so. Then crack each injector line at the injector one at a time. Look for a/the cylinder which produces little or no change when the line is cracked. This may help narrow down the problem to one cylinder. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2016-03-17          194736

White smoke is indicative of a cylinder getting fuel but not in such a way that it can combust.

It's been my experience that a missing cylinder and puffing lots of white smoke means an injector stuck open and it wasn't getting anatomized blast of fuel, rather disturbed that could not ignite properly.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
krb1945

2016-03-25          194793

Murf, I just had these injectors rebuild by the recommended re-builder on the east coast. The reason I had them rebuilt was because of this problem and since rebuilding the problem is the same.

Yesterday, 3/24, I de-carboned the engine with misted water thinking a small piece of carbon was holding the exhaust valve open but that wasn't the case either.

For those, like me, that have forgotten... [/i] [/b] you can de-carbon a gas or diesel engine with plain water.[/b] [u] For example, my 2003 lincoln towncar was beginning to lose gas mileage even though it had new spark plugs, wires and coils and the gas is non-alcohol from the same station. Mileage had dropped to 21.8 mpg on cruise set at 75 on the interstate. After d-carboning it has slowly returned to 24.1 as it previously ran.

On normal operating temperature gas engines you can remove a vacuum hose going into the intake and it will suck the the water from a bottle. Run the engine at 1200 to 1400 rpms doing this... the water turns to steam and will remove carbon from valve stems egr going to exhaust and your car will run better. Old time mechanics use to do this all the time on carbon-ed up engines. They never bought the expensive products for cleaning engines.

you can de-carbon a diesel by misting water in the air intake hose. disconnect the air intake hose going the the head intake and with the engine warm idling at 1000 or so rpms mist water with a plastic spray bottle. To me easier than on a gas engine.

Murf back to my issue. It seems the fuel wants to detonate as it is exiting the head to the muffler.
I did find a pin leak at the high pressure pump where nr 2 cylinder hp line connects. I've got to get new copper seals and secure this and I'm hoping it will start running again.

I've often heard the slightest leak on one of the hp injector lines will keep an injector from igniting correctly.

Thanks to all for the info and if you have more suggestions please tell me. I need this tractor to run next week.//ken ....

View my Photos
arcwelder

2016-03-30          194853

Look at this thread on what injectors look like when disassembled.
has photos of the pieces.

View my Photos
krb1945

2016-03-30          194854

I've been working on the 2360 all afternoon... not done yet but I did get the injectors finished, fuel filters changed, the HP fuel lines are now clean and the tank is drained.

Tomorrow I'll be cleaning the tank and replacing the rubber fuel hoses. I'd like to remove the tank but the dash and wiring is wrapped around it like shrink wrap which would probably take at least 8 hours to remove and 8 to reinstall. I'm going to remove the screw out bottom hose connecter and flush it with clean fuel and then blow HP air through the fill cap. That appears to be the second best way to clean it. First would be remove it.

To all those that provided pointers and suggestions thank you many times. Arkwelder saved me twice on this project by pointing me to a place that had schematic drawings of the injectors and fuel pump. I would have been lost without them.

I'll let everyone know how it goes, and I'm ah praying the pump didn't get destroyed.

Again may thanks to all, Ken "the ancient buzzard" ....

View my Photos
krb1945

2016-04-19          194996

FIXED! After cleaning the injectors. A major diesel repair here on the east coast was supposed to have cleaned and repaired for a total of 305.78. Well from what I found those injectors had not been cleaned internally. The out side was buffed and cleaned but not on the inside. I took pictures and I intend to contact this repair center and tell them it appears they have a mechanic that is destroying their reputation.

That being said, the tractor now runs great after I clean them. I did have a little trouble getting it to fire even after bleeding the lines all the way to the injectors. I begged my "better half" to lend a hand and while I rotated the engine she sprayed WD-40 in the intake and it fired right up. Would not start prior to the WD-40. I've always had a fear of using ether or a tea spoon of gas in the air intake. I seen it done both ways but I'm overly concerned about cracking a piston or head and I have seen that happen using those two methods.

Thanks to all that gave me tips and advice on this fix.

Top of the day to all. Ken ....

View my Photos
arcwelder

2016-04-20          194999

I would like to know who the dirtbag, worthless, liar, Puke brained roach infested (you may get the idea I really dislike thieves and cheats) company was that sent your injectors back and claimed they were rebuilt.
I would also send them an Invoice (bill) that is at least double what they charged you (including shipping).
List all the parts they claimed were replaced, plus a fee for each injector.
Then when they don't pay up, take it to the Feds for interstate fraud.
I put the link to your other thread in case anyone else needed to see what a Long Injector looked like when disassembled. But now I do not see the link anymore and cannot find the thread

I would like to know who the dirtbag, worthless, liar, Puke brained roach infested (you may get the idea I really dislike thieves and cheats) company was that sent your injectors back and claimed they were rebuilt.<br>
I would also send them an Invoice (bill) that is at least double what they charged you (including shipping).  <br>
List all the parts they claimed were replaced, plus a fee for each injector.<br>
Then when they don't pay up, take it to the Feds for interstate fraud.<br>
I put the link to your other thread in case anyone else needed to see what a Long Injector looked like when disassembled.  But now I do not see the link anymore and cannot find the thread<br>
<br>
<br>
[p]http://tractorpoint.com/ctb/memberPhotos/194850-194801.jpg[/p]<br>

Link:   Link to Injector Pix

View my Photos
krb1945

2016-04-21          195000

ArcWelder,
I take it you looked at the pictures I posted of those cleaned rebuilt injectors!

I know what you mean and I am really ticked myself. I am preparing a letter with photos for the owner of that business. Keep in mind that I said they "had" a stellar reputation for quality workmanship. I'll only say this shop is in the state of Georgia and leave it at that.

I've got a good friend that is a legal eagle and he told me to let him see what I prepare before sending it. He reminded me that sometimes customers dig themselves into deep holes with a poor choice of words.

Personally I suspect the mechanic might have a vendetta against the boss or is new and just incompetent, but that is not a valid excuse of charging for work you did not do.

I'll post here the outcome.

Thanks for the tips and help, Ken

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2016-04-23          195023

If there are a top shop they will be glad you share this with them and will try to make it right. They will also try to find the problem on their end and fix that. If they are not worthy of the reputation you say they have they will play games or excuses with you. I would tell you share either but do so carefully so not to cause yourself an issue. kt ....

View my Photos
krb1945

2016-05-29          195241

UPDATE: To get the tractor to run like it did before the dirty fuel disaster, I had to get three new 4 spray nozzles and a pop tester. The nozzles were $60, shipping $16, pop-tester good for up to 8000 psi $99 shipping inc. I popped the injectors at 3000 psi, range is 3250 to 3350.

Long now runs like new, no drips, runs, errors and no smoke after it warms up.

Been two weeks now and I'm still patting myself on the back. Something I thought would be a difficult job, because I had never done it before, was not.;-)

Less than I paid a professional shop and then found out they did nothing but polish the outer surface... didn't know that for 4 months though, fell ill and didn't get to do the repairs until 2nd week of may.:-(

View my Photos
krb1945

2016-05-29          195242

CORRECTION: I set the injectors at 3300 psi, range is 3250 to 3350. I work on tractors better than I type.:-) ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login