Go Bottom Go Bottom

Starting problem Long 350

View my Photos
hossfly
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2014-07-17          190718

I need help from some of you pros on diagnosing a starting problem I'm having with my Long 350 with 2.3 Liter 3 cylinder diesel engine.

When I was last at the ranch I was pushing over some brush for a couple of hours when I stopped the tractor to remove some brush that was caught between the FEL and the front wheels. When I tried to start the tractor I got nothing. It wouldn't turn over.

I checked and found that I had current from the key to the starter switch, and from the switch to the solenoid. The battery was fully charged. All of the fuses were OK.

I'm wondering if it may be the solenoid that has failed. I hate to buy a new starter if there may be something else I need to check. Any thoughts on what else I may need to troubleshoot would be appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
46bugs

2014-07-17          190722

This is what happen to us last year, We was using a 255 Massey-Ferguson Tractor baling hay, after we finish we was cleaning the tractor and getting it ready for the shed for the winter, cause we would not be using that tractor anymore until next spring. We worked this tractor between 6 and 7 hours before the cleaning, It would not start after we washed the tractor. I done everything you have done, and nothing, so I seen a Big Truck mechanic and he told me that my fuel pump had went out, I didn't believe him ,but we bought a rebuilt Fuel injector pump ,bleed the air from the lines and it started.
And just today a man was telling me that happen to him on an Allis Chamber, Just may be you problem too. I wish you the best. ....

View my Photos
maternut

2014-07-19          190731

I had a similar problem with my 360. Battery tested good ,starter switch OK. Not enough amperage going to starter. Pulled battery out and the terminal on the starter cable was bad. replaced the terminal on starter cable and was fixed. Was a cheap fix after we found it. ....

View my Photos
arcwelder

2014-07-19          190734

Try disconnecting the one of the two wires on the safety switch in front of the shift levers. Keep them separate, see if it cranks over.
My switch acts up upon occasion.
Also to get it moved you can use an auto remote starter switch to crank it up.

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-07-23          190758

It has been recommend it in such as case try jumping it to run out battery and it's connections. If you have someone helping you turn on the lights and ask them how they do when you try starting it.

But with the work you were doing my guess is you pulled a safety switch wire loose or causes one to slip out of proper adjustment. kt ....

View my Photos
hossfly

2014-07-28          190783

Thanks to 46bugs, Maternut, arcwelder, kthompson for your replies and suggestions. To summarize the suggestions were;

1.Fuel injector pump possibly bad
2. Check Battery Terminal on starter cable.
3. Disconnect one of the two wires on the safety switch and try to start the tractor.
4. Try jumping it, check the lights when attempting, and once again check safety switch.

I have the tractor at my ranch which is 360 miles from where I live. I will be heading out there this weekend. I will check the things suggested as far as the wiring, terminal and so forth. Last thing will be to check the fuel pump. I will also check the brushes on the starter.

I'm going to order a solenoid just in case to take with me. It's pretty remote out there and there is no place to buy parts within a 100 miles.

After my trip, I will report back and let you know how it went.

Thanks again to all of you for the help. ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-07-28          190788

I know everything is bigger in Texas but that is good drive from home to your ranch. If need be you should br able to pull that tractor to crank it. If you do so, be careful. Higher gear on tractor due to gearing and quick to hit the clutch when it fires. kt ....

View my Photos
hossfly

2014-07-28          190790

Yep, driving 360 miles to the ranch is just a little jaunt down here in the Lone Star State ;-) I'd be living there if I could get my bride of 37 years to give up city living.

The remoteness has its charms, but I have to go armed all the time now, since it is only about 30 miles from the border. There is a power line that runs along my north boundary which is the path illegals and drug mules use as they circumvent the border check point which is a few miles south of my place.

Don't think I will be trying to pull/push start it, it has a front end loader that is not a quick release, but rather a bear to get the bucket off and a 6 foot shredder on the back. It is sitting on one of my roads with high brush on both sides of it, so it is sitting until I can get it started. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2014-07-31          190814

Wives, ole Daniel Boone had a good one. I have a great one. A few years back a couple put their place up for sale for a very high price compared to it's worth. Reason, it was only 5 minutes was what the ad read. They change the road now so more like 10 minutes. It did not sell. LOL

Hossfly, is it possible some of the illegals have tried to use it and their failing to crank it have removed or cut wires or contaminated the fuel? Same time does not have to be an illegal to do such, just a person doing illegally.

Have the National Guards been posted to the border there yet? If so can you tell any difference in the flow of people and drugs? Watch a History Channel show on the 1800 Texas Rangers and how they pprotected that border and would go into Mexico to do so. Guess that is when protection was real. kt ....

View my Photos
arcwelder

2014-09-03          191029

Is the problem that the tractor will not turn over or it cranks but will not start?
I re read the thread, and am not clear on that.
If it cranks but not start, then may need to bleed the injectors. Messy but not hard. Crack the fuel lines loose at the injector slightly. Crank engine until fuel is dripping from all 3 injectors, then tighten back down. It may even start, so be careful.
If won't crank, get an automotive remote switch.
Connect first wire to the small wire (key power to run the solenoid)the other to the battery cable going to the starter.
Let us know how it goes
Make sure you are in neutral on both shift levers and don't stand in any path of the tires.
Press button, should crank over. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login