Go Bottom Go Bottom

2610 with knocking noise from PTO housing

View my Photos
dukeyjoe
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2013-05-12          186942

Hello Fellas,
New member here. Bought a 2610 from a buddy of mine that got it off an old widow lady. Tractor runs like a top and has 721 hrs on it. I didn't get a manual with it and this is my first tractor. Yesterday, I bought an 8ft heavy duty 540 rpm Bushhog brand bushhog model # 3008 from my neighbor. We had to extend the lift arms out to the 2nd to last hole to enable the tractor to pick it up. While trying it out, a knocking noise came from the pto housing with the pto lever to the left and to the right. Btw, what is the difference in having that lever to the left vs. right positions? The shaft has zero play, u-joints are good on the bushhog and the thing cuts great. I'll admit this is the first time I've ever used the pto with equipment attached and my friend who found this tractor for me, just checked that the pto worked, as the lady didn't have any bushhog to try with it.

This only happens with the bushhog attached and running and does it with the that spring loaded lever (to the left)in, both, the upright and lowered positions. I take it that this lever changes the pto from live to non-live configuration Is this correct?

I did not pay attention to how high the hydraulics were set to, but suspect that they were on high to enable me to pick up that monster. I'm going to go tinker with that now. He offered to disconnect the thing and hook it up to his tractor, while I hooked up to his 6ft bushhog to shoe me that it wasn't the equipment. I declined, because I know he has used it recently and I'm sure the noise is coming from the tractor.

Would be thankful for any help/advice. Also, would like a manual if anyone has one laying around. Sorry, for the long first post, but wanted to give y'all as many details to facilitate a good diagnosis.
Thanks in advance,
Duke
RLTW

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
46bugs

2013-05-12          186943

First I would change the fluid and filters in the transmission,may have water in the case if ever left outside.
You can call Joes tractor and buy a manual at 336-885-4582,he bought out long Tractor. ....

View my Photos
46bugs

2013-05-12          186944

Also you can go to tractor data.com and it will give you a lot of info about most tractors. ....

View my Photos
dukeyjoe

2013-05-12          186947

Thanks 46Bugs,
Sorry been out on the Takeuchi all day. A manual would be a great help. the tractor does stay outside so I'll check that out, also.
Duke
RLTW ....

View my Photos
46bugs

2013-05-12          186948

You can tell if the fluid in the transmission has water in it,if it looks milky,
Also to get all of the water out of transmission,I use 5 gallon of diesel fuel and run it about 3 to 5 minutes, then drain and fill with 90 weights hydrolic fluid.The fill hole is on the left side of the gear stick, or it is on my 2360 Long.
I keep my tractor inside,saves the paint and fluid.of left out side you can put vasoline around the top of the gear sticks boots.
Hope this helps.. ....

View my Photos
dukeyjoe

2013-05-12          186949

Thanks again. Do you know what the difference is in the left vs. right pto lever?
Duke
RLTW ....

View my Photos
46bugs

2013-05-12          186950

To engage the ground sychronous PTO,stop the tractor,depress the clutch petal and shift the PTO leaver to the right.And when not using PTO move the lever to the center.
My manual is for the 2360 only,If I was you,you should call Joe Tractor at 336-885-4582 and order an manual for your tractor.Or look on e-bay and you could find one there.
The Long tractor is a very good and old tractor but is different then a Massey-Ferguson or a Ford, ....

View my Photos
46bugs

2013-05-12          186951

E-bay has a manual for a 2610 Long Tractor for $24.95

38 active listings | sold listings | completed listings

Long Ag Tractor 2610 Operator Manual

Long Ag Tractor 2610 Operator Manual

View my Photos
dukeyjoe

2013-05-13          186953

Just bought it. Thanks! I am going to buy one of those service manuals, too, if the guy down the road doesn't have one. I'll let you know about the oil, when I get a chance to check it. Btw, this 2610's pto lever will engage the pto in both the left and right positions.

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-05-13          186957

Think the idea of changing the fluid on tractor you just got is good but doubt knocking is caused by water in the fluid but there is a lot I don't know. Do be sure you have the transmission filled fully and not running dry.

Does the knocking start as soon as you engage the cutter or does it require the tractor running for a while to get fluid hot? To me if water in the fluid is the issue, it would change as the temp of the oil heats up.

What hp is that tractor? Are you sure an 8 foot cutter is not too large for it? If so you might damage the PTO system of the tractor. Have know of the clutch being destroyed that way.

I would begin with the simplest and lowest cost options: pull the pto shaft off and be sure the universal joints are good. If you have another shaft that will fit or can try that shaft on another piece of equipment do so to see if the noise goes away or remains.

One other test, with cutter running and the knocking noise try lowering the lift taking full weight off of it. It might be the hyd system is having it's hands full with the weight of the cutter giving a noise there.

This all is based upon being 100% certain the noise is not in the cutter. Do check cutter for oil in gear box and blades okay and such.

View my Photos
dukeyjoe

2013-05-22          187017

Just bought it. Thanks! I am going to buy one of those service manuals, too, if the guy down the road doesn't have one. I'll let you know about the oil, when I get a chance to check it. Btw, this 2610's pto lever will engage the pto in both the left and right positions.

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-05-23          187037

Does it work while tractor is sitting still in both directions or is there one direction it will only when tractor is moving? ....

View my Photos
dukeyjoe

2013-05-23          187050

Sorry I disappeared on y'all. I got my xeroxed owners manual off EBay. Evidently, this tractor has two PTO modes. One is independent (clutch can be used to stop the forward motion of the tractor while keeping the pto engaged) and ground synchronous (connected directly to the rear wheels). The knocking noise is heard in both modes when hooked up to the bush hog, standing still or moving. Quiet as can be in both modes when not hooked up.

The transmission fluid is light brown after driving the tractor, but it is way past the high fill line (almost double). I think I know how this occurred. When I got this tractor a couple of years ago, I changed the fluid and filter, but I believe I, only drained it form the forward drain plug. If I'm reading this manual correctly, there are two drain plugs (someone please confirm this).
Also can I use the Tractor Supply Traveller Universal Trans/Hydraulic oil for older tractors.

The bush hog's u-joints appear to be fine and my neighbor has used it recently with no noise. A man, that use to be a Long dealer who still has parts and uses a couple of 2610 DTCs in his hay fields was suppose to come buy and listen to this baby, but has not shown, yet. I hat bothering the old fella, cause I know his health is bad, but I've been hoping he'd at least listen to it.

I'm going by there this weekend to buy a new hydraulic filter and I will try and talk him into it. Thanks for all the responses.

Duke ....

View my Photos
dukeyjoe

2013-05-26          187085

Well, water was definitely in the trans. Dipstick was way over full and milky. Drained both drain plugs and ran about 3 gallons of diesel fuel in it for about 15 minutes. Prior to doing this, I pulled the 4 bolt plate off the rear pto housing cover. Only a bearing was visible under the plate, but looking through one of the bolt holes I checked the tooth spacing on the output shaft gear and discovered that there was a bigger gap between two teeth suggesting a broke tooth. I pulled the pto housing cover and sure enough there is a tooth broken on the big gear that is bolted to the back of the output shaft. The small gear that is attached to the rod that runs to the pto shifter gear is fine.

Does anyone have a parts 3 for this gear?

Thanks for all the help,
Duke ....

View my Photos
dukeyjoe

2013-07-01          187558

Update: Tractor is back together and working good. However, it is way too light in the front end for this bush hog as currently set up. Anyone have any wieghts they want to get rid of? How much weight is suggested from the factory. How much weight can be added via fluid to the front tires?
My fuel gauge doesn't work, properly, which is annoying. The red light stays on and it registers empty, even when full. Is this a sending unit issue, bad ground, or gauge issue?
I still can't believe that the rear pumpkin, only uses the transmission's hydraulic oil for lubrication.

Duke ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2013-07-02          187566

As to front weight, it is not recommended to fill front tires. Not sure the reason but not recommended. Some farmers here mount a sprayer tank on the front of their tractor for two reason, tank is off lift and for counter weight. Depending on you can use weights other than those made for it and think you will end up doing do for price reasons as you might can find some older weights for low price. Have heard of people even using old exercise weights. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login