Go Bottom Go Bottom

engine and transmisson fluid

View my Photos
phred101
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2012-12-28          185793

antone have an idea of what weight oil to use in a long 2 cyd diesel and six speed transmisson, use a model 310 as an example. Thanks for any reply Fred, Tenn.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-12-29          185797

I'd use a 15-40 in engine. If the transmission and hydraulics use the same sump a universal hyd oil from tractor supply would be find. If trans and hyd seperate any gear oil would work 75-90 for general light work and a heavier weight for extended heavy work ....

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-12-29          185798

Any 15W40 is acceptable for the engine, I've always been partial to Shell Rotella T. Best I can make out from TractorData Fred, is that the Long 310 is a common sump tractor. So any UTF (universal tractor fluid) is acceptable as well. They're pretty much all 30W equivalents, you can even get it at WalMart.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
phred101

2012-12-29          185802

thanks for the info, any idea of the engne ol capacity? ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2012-12-29          185804

Don't know specifically. But generally that size engine takes 4-6 quarts (not including filter). Unless you're working in a heated space, you should get the new oil up to room temperature. After draining the oil oil and installing a new filter, I'd put in 4 quarts and start it again. That pumps oil into the filter housing. Shut it down after a minute, then wait 10 more to check the dipstick. Top up as necessary.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
phred101

2012-12-29          185805

You mentioned common sump system, is the transmission and hydraulics using the same oil? ....

View my Photos
taogden

2012-12-29          185806

http://http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/005/8/1/5810-long-310.html Is a web site with general information on your tractor. If you will get hold of them when you do have values and I think they would appreciate a photo.

http://www.jensales.com/Long-310-Tractor-Data_p_84509.html this site has your operator manual, typically the op man has the info you are requesting.

Both sites are pretty good for general info on all tractors, the last you can also get manuals from if yours are no longer available, or as I have done with some, look on EBay.

I could provide general information on what I would do, but, I would also have purchased a manual for it. Guessing is a not so good of way. Bad guess could hurt your tractor. ....

Link:   Tractor data

View my Photos
greg_g

2012-12-30          185808

Quote:
Originally Posted by phred101 | view 185805
You mentioned common sump system, is the transmission and hydraulics using the same oil?

Yes. And the fact that it has to work the hydraulics is why it's a 30W equivalent. On a dual sump tractor, tractor hydraulics use anywhere between AW5 to AW100 (5W to 30W), depending upon ambient temperature. Similarly, dual sump tractor gear oil can vary anywhere between 75W and 140W.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
Inducnito

2013-01-11          185939

Hi, newbie here. I have a Long 460, my first tractor. Have experience in shade tree mechanics for car and motorcycle, so I figure I could tackle an old tractor. Anyway, my manual says 15W-40 for engine oil. Oil capacity with filter is 7L. I have a hydraulic question, but I'll search the forum first. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2013-01-14          185957

Unless the oil is diesel rated (all 15/40 ones that I've seen are, though I have no idea why) you should change it more often than the manual says. ....

View my Photos
phred101

2013-02-03          186122

Update, The Tractor I bought is a UTB Universal Model U-340, and I am still looking for a manual. Any Help? ....

View my Photos
Inducnito

2013-02-03          186123

My manual covers the 360/460/510. Would that help? ....

View my Photos
phred101

2013-02-03          186124

If it covers the 2cyd diesel that would help, if it does how do i get access to your manual? Fred ....

View my Photos
Inducnito

2013-02-03          186125

I have a 3cyl diesel. PM me with email and I'll send it ....

View my Photos
46bugs

2013-02-03          186127

Engine oil should be changed each 100 Hours, Transmission oil should be changed every two years,
The oil for a diesel should be 15-40 and a gas engine should be a 30 weight,hydrolics or transmission oil should be 70-90 weight.Any good brand is good.I use Mobil. ....

View my Photos
IRONMANAL

2013-12-24          188518

I just got a long 460 and was wondering what is the best manual for it, the way your post reads you have one do you like it and where did you get it. my tractor has a bad knock in the bottom i think it spun a bearing ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login