Go Bottom Go Bottom

Stihl FS110R or FS85R

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-05-30          87284

Well, my Homelite string trimmer is getting long in the tooth after 10 years of service. I need to have a back up in the event she finally gives up the ghost. I was initially inclined toward the FS110R since it was a 4 stroke trimmer but it required periodic valve adjustments and some other minor periodic services. I have an FS450K Brush clearing saw which is basicly the big brother on sterioids of the FS85R. NEVER had a moments trouble out of it. The FS85R is a little cheaper and weighs about a half pound less. It is also a tried and true 2 stroke. Pretty much no maintenance required. I am kinda leaning towards the FS85R for these reasons. A good 2 stroke will last a life time. The FS110R is still fairly new.

Any comments or suggestions?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Stihl FS110R or FS85R

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-05-31          87349

I've watched the four strokes and they have a lot more torque then the two strokes do. ....

Stihl FS110R or FS85R

View my Photos
Chief

2004-05-31          87350

I usually try to run at the lowest possible rpm to save on constantly replacing string line. Do the 4 strokes do better at lower rpm. Sounds like they would? ....

Stihl FS110R or FS85R

View my Photos
Murf

2004-05-31          87353

Randy, are you using regular line or shaped line?

The new shaped lines cut much more efficiently, they are also made out of much tougher material than the no-name stuff and last a LOT longer.

Trimmers cut much more efficiently at higher speeds than lower and unless you are hitting things the line should last quite a while even at full throttle.

Best of luck. ....

Stihl FS110R or FS85R

View my Photos
Chief

2004-05-31          87355

Murf, I use the Stihl red round smooth .105 trimmer line. It holds up well but I keep the rpms as low as possible when I trim around very tight spaces and very close to plants and trees to prevent and minimize damage to them. When I am in the clear, I let her rip full throttle. Guess I could have been more clear about that. Sorry. Since I have your ear; what brand and model sting trimmers do you use and have the best luck and performance with? ....

Stihl FS110R or FS85R

View my Photos
Murf

2004-05-31          87362

Randy, most of them are FS85's but we also have a couple of 110(R)'s and a few 250's.

You really know you've been working after you wave an FS250 around for a full day.

Try a spool of the shaped line, it really makes a difference, it makes a finer, smoother cut, more like a mower does, it also cuts a lot faster than the regular round line does.

It's available almost everywhere, even Northen Tool carries it.

Best of luck. ....

Stihl FS110R or FS85R

View my Photos
Chief

2004-05-31          87363

I know EXACTLY what you mean about waving an FS250 around all day. I have an FS450K and after several hours of swinging that things, I am ready to hit the showers.

What do you and your guys using the FS110R think of it as opposed to the FS85R? Seems like the FS85R is the easiest to maintain but I have never used the FS110R. I didn't want to discount it without getting some comments and reviews about them. Thanks! ....

Stihl FS110R or FS85R

View my Photos
Murf

2004-05-31          87364

The FS110R seems to have a lot more power for marginally more weight.

I don't know that there's much maintenance, with either of them, clean out the air filter, put in fuel and go.

We put a LOT of hours on them, they go forever without ever having to do anything to them. In fact, from experience, we run them till something stops then just replace them. If they have enough hours on them that they are starting to break down, it's time to retire them.

Best of luck ....

Stihl FS110R or FS85R

View my Photos
Chief

2004-05-31          87365

Which modle do you and your employees prefer? The FS110R or the FS85R? It would be interesting to hear your observations and reasons. ....

Stihl FS110R or FS85R

View my Photos
JAZAK5
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-05-31          87396

LOVE MY FS85,ALL THOUGH ANYTHING STIHL PUTS ON THE MARKET IS TESTED BEYOND ITS DESIGN. THE 4 STROKE IS FOR TREE HUGGERS. I LIKE THE MINIMUM 2 STROKE SMOKE ,IT KEEPS THE BUGS AWAY AS YOU DESTROY THERE HIDE OUTS !!! ....

Stihl FS110R or FS85R

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-05-31          87397

Do either of those models the new 4 stroke 4-mix engines? I really like the new 4-mix engine on my HT101 pole saw. Lots of torque, quiet and low vibration. The only downside is that it uses 89 octane. Not sure if the Stihl 2 strokes have that requirement. ....

Stihl FS110R or FS85R

View my Photos
Murf

2004-06-01          87414

The 110R has the new 4-mix engine, the 85 is still a 2-stroke.

The 4-mix is almost exactly the same (0.1hp more) and weighs 0.9 pounds more, but the numbers are deceiving. The difference in usable power is VERY noticeable, the torque is much greater for sure. They are also a LOT smoother, this makes a big difference in reducing operator fatigue.

As for the smoke, the new 2-strokes, esecially with the modern clean-burning oils, are not much smokier than the 4-mix. Although it is a 4-stroke motor, still burns an oil & gas mixture and it has no sump full of oil like a traditional 4-stroke would.

All in all they prefer the new 4-mix 4-strokes, time will tell if they stand up as well as the old models, but as has been mentioned I would be surpised if they were anything less than bullet-proof before they were released to the market.

Besty of luck. ....

Stihl FS110R or FS85R

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-06-01          87419

I looked at the Stihls and almost bought one but got distracted by the Tanaka trimmer. Very nice unit. Well worth the a look.

Stihl FS110R or FS85R

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-06-01          87436

I bought a Toro 4 cycle For $158.00 and returned it before use. My old Homelite trimmer is 14 years old and still running. In my area we have these one day truck load sales put on by Cummins. (ie cumminstools.com) I can pick up a Homelite reconditioned 2 stroke for $49.99. I bought a bunch of them for the different places. Can beat it for the price.

I also use the red .105 line on the old Homelite. It is quite harsh on tree trunks unless you idle around them.

Stihl products. I use an electric Stihl wacker at my condo and love it. I also have Stihl electric and 2 stroke gas blowers. I highly recommend any Stihl product. They are slightly higher priced but consider them premier. ....

Stihl FS110R or FS85R

View my Photos
jklmnugent
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-06-02          87534

Chief, have the FS110R myself. California requires such due to emission standards. You would like it. Lots of power at low rpm especially nice when feathering throttle for landscape trimming. Very quiet. Not heavy enough to bother me. Also have chain saw attachment for light tree trimming and hedge attachment. Both work well. Like all Stihl equipment bulletproof and "wants" to start right up and run all day. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login