Go Bottom Go Bottom

New Garden Tractor

View my Photos
Glenn Fitzgerald
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-02-04          75982

I'm about to retire my 84'18hp agway lawn tractor. It's starting to require too much work to keep it alive. I want to stay about the same size or slightly larger than the agway. I want a 42-46" mower with a snowblower. I've started to look around at the new ones and so far I'm not real impressed. A lot of the present models are low to the ground, have small tires/wheels and don't even look practical for doing work.The cub cadets look kind of cheap and a relative that owns one confirmed it. I got an add in the mail today from troy-bilt, any opinions on them? How about the quality/price of the john deere models? Any comments or ideas are appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

New Garden Tractor

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-04          75985

I repair garden tractors on the side. The scotts is the best bang for your buck. But i had to replace an entire kohler engine after it had a ring crack and burned off all of its oil on one. If you want someing that will last. Go find your self a used JD 316-430 or a cub cadet of similar model. Those were the last of the good tractors. For new kubota garden tractor are the best. Everyone is liquid cooled or a diesel. Cub cadet and Deere are a far second. The rest are 5 year throw away rigs. The troybuilt and craftsmas are really far down on the list. If you want cheap the scotts are still the best deal. A lot of tractor for the buck. But still not alot of tractor. ....

New Garden Tractor

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-04          75988

Glenn Fitzgerald, have you considered a good quality used machine? I would suggest a Kubota G5200 or G6200. These things run forever and can be had at a very reasonalble price. Very reliable and durable engines. (3 cylinder diesel) Very simple yet straight forward design. You did not mention what you had in mind as far as a target price and a maximum price you had in mind. A John Deere 455 is another good reliable tractor that if well cared for by its previous owner, should last you many years. Besides snow blowing and mowing; what other uses did you have in mind for the machine? I ask because if those are the primary uses; a front mower ZTR might be another option. ....

New Garden Tractor

View my Photos
17ACRES

2004-02-05          75999

I have a JD GX335 garden tractor with 48" deck and power flow bagging system. I think I paid around $7000 2 years ago. This is (or was) the cheapest model that had power steering and hydraulic lift. It has been a great machine, which I have done some incredible jobs with. With weights, tire chains and a front blade you can even do smaller landscape and gravel work. ....

New Garden Tractor

View my Photos
grinder

2004-02-05          76000

These are a well built tractor if you are looking to stay in the riding mower size machine. Thats if you are willing
to spend 5-7ooo thousand. I't would depend on your lot's
requirements of course,but if you could make use of a small
tractor with a diesel I would consider it.
The Gravely mowers are also well built machine. ....

Link:   http://www.nhlawn.com/ingersoll.html

New Garden Tractor

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-02-05          76004

I bought a used Gravely lawn tractor with a 54" mower about 15 years ago for $3000. I think they run about $7000+ now for a new one. It has a cast iron 12 HP Kohler engine - is built strong as hell. I have never had to send it in for repairs. I probably will never need another mower. When I go to Lowes - Home Depot - I can never see anything that compares. ....

New Garden Tractor

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-02-05          76012

I have allot of cadets that have been through hell and back. I agree that they have gotten cheaper through the years. I don't have one of the new models with shaft drive. I've heard the drive train is good and implements hang on and mount easily. I've also heard that they got away from plastic hoods. I don't like diesel exhaust fumes. I think I would jump ship and go with JD. Suggest buying it from a Deere dealer rather than Home Depot. Your local dealer sets them up for Home Depot and also repairs them. So why not go direct.

1. I'd get water cooled engine.
2. 44 or 46" deck.
3. Find out if a bagger will plug when using it, cutting green spring grass when you need it.
4. Hydrostatic drive
5. Power lift
6. Power steering
7. 18-20 HP
8. Make sure attachments hook up easy. ....

New Garden Tractor

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2004-02-05          76013

Scotts are made my john deere, its the same tractor as the saber. Stay away from those rear engine gravelys. Complete junk. They acutally stop building them last year. Their mini skid steer and chipper are good, because they are built by another company with different paint. the ingeroland haven't changed their design in a long time. I forgot about those. Very well built, but expensive. Still a JD 430, 455 or a Kubota G6200 would be good if you want used. ....

New Garden Tractor

View my Photos
Chief

2004-02-05          76019

itsgottobegreen, see you like those little Kubs too. My buddy who sells John Deere took a G5200 in on a trade that was is great condition. At first he was going to sell it but ended up liking it so much he sold his John Deere instead. It is the source of constant razzing from me. I was very impressed with the G5200 too. I would not be upset about owning one at all. Before I would spend 3 or 4 K on a new Scotts or MTD, I would look around for a used G6200 or 5200 in good condition. ....

New Garden Tractor

View my Photos
grinder

2004-02-05          76022

Will
Your comparing apples and oranges when you compare a JD
riding mower to a Ingersoll. Have you looked at one lately?
These are built to last at a comparable price. ....

New Garden Tractor

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-02-05          76027

itsgottabegreen, why do you say rear engine gravely is junk? No offense taken - just curious. My only problem with the gravely is that I never have an excuse to buy another machine. ....

New Garden Tractor

View my Photos
Ducati996

2004-02-05          76076

Actually this would be the first negative comment I have ever heard about Gravelys..quite surpising since they are well known to be long lasting and reliable...why they are not around wasnt based on their lack of quality..

Ducati ....

New Garden Tractor

View my Photos
RichM.

2004-02-06          76171

If you want a garden tractor that will last 15 years blow the coins and get an Ingersoll. Basically same tractor Case made. Good ground clearance, large rear tires , a proven hydro drive and onan engines. The design has not been changed because it has stood the test of time.Plus its loaded with steel, drag a cub or JD around all day with it. ....

New Garden Tractor

View my Photos
grinder

2004-02-07          76215

RichM
The one thing I didn't like was the single stage blower.
I don't believe they offer the rider with two stage?
Other than that they are a tank. I know of one that 30 yrs old and still mowing and blowing. I don't know if Gravely
is still making a rider with a MMM ? But they build a rugged
machine as well. ....

New Garden Tractor

View my Photos
drcjv.

2004-02-08          76318

Scotts tractors were JD tractors sold exclusivly at home depot. They stopped the Scotts line last year and replaced them with the JD 100 line. A good no frills lawn tractor. I have a G100 which is their garden tractor modal with a 25hp Kolher and a 54" deck, great ground clearance. I am very happy with it paid $3500. for it on a 10% off sale. So far works great cuts grass, pulls manure spreader,ect good luck. ....

New Garden Tractor

View my Photos
wbowhunt

2004-02-08          76376

I wonder sometimes if it comes down to what day of the week and at what plant the engine or garden tractor was made. 7 Years ago I purchased an MTD Yardman 15.5 Horse 42" deck with 4 wheel steering ( Pretty cool actually, When you turn the front wheels go one way the rear wheels the other. ) Have used it for mowing, Aerating, dethaching and other yard issues all summer long for the last 7 years, Only changed the oil twice and other then putting gas into it, I have done a thing maitenance wise to it. She run like a champ. The only times I have had an issue is when I didn't put it in the shed at night and we ended getting a rain shower and then she sat for a day or two. Was a little slow to start. But even then just had the turn the key twice instead of once. I think for every good comment about a piece of equipment you are going to find bad ones as well, Whether it be a manufacutre defect, a bad model year or just mis-use ....

New Garden Tractor

View my Photos
Glenn Fitzgerald

2004-02-09          76466

Thanks for all the very good comments and advise. I'm favoring a new 2003' Ingersoll 316LGT with a 44" deck along with the snowblower for about $4700. The machine looks to be very well built, has the B&G Vanguard engine with hydro trans.It reminded me so much of the old Case tractors of the seventies- that I cherished as a kid. It doesn' look much different other than the decals and red color that Ingersoll changed.The machine looks as if it was American made as we used to know it. What do you think?? ....

New Garden Tractor

View my Photos
JDF415

2004-02-11          76662

Glenn,
Case was owned by Tenneco. Tenneco purchased Ingersoll (which is why the case lawn tractors looked like Ingersoll) I believe it was when case and IH merged that Ingersoll was sold off, not for sure about that.
Whatever brand you decide to purchase... I would suggest you buy from a good dealer. That will be important when you want to buy attachments or need service down the road.
The scotts models mentioned were built by JD only for a few short years. The early model scotts were built by MTD?? So make sure what you're looking at with those. The New 2004 Model G110 (that is sold at HD) is a lighter machine than the G100. Same size engine and deck, just lighter frame and no tiller option.
I would suggest you look at the new 2004 GX255. This model has a 20 hp Kawasaki V-Twin engine, Power steering, Differential lock, 48 or 54 inch mower deck, Priced less than $6000. ....

New Garden Tractor

View my Photos
drcjv.

2004-02-11          76667

Around here you can buy a G100 at home depot for $3895.00. They did not even know what a G110 was. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login