Go Bottom Go Bottom

Poison Ivy

View my Photos
Rod
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-05-15          16294

Does anyone know of a non-chemical way to get rid of poison ivy? I've got a couple of patches in my yard that I would like to kill it w/o killing my yard with Round Up. In the past, I've tried '2-4-d' from the local coop w/ marginal success. I would prefer to not use chemcials, but don't think that its possible.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Poison Ivy

View my Photos
Norm

2000-05-15          16299

There is only one thing you can do - Pull It! No chemical that says it is for poison ivy is selective - they are all broad leaf herbicides that will kill everything. I pull about 3-5 garbage cans full every 3 years and it is the only thing that keeps it under control. Fortunately, I am not highly allergic to it but I do get it. Here's what I do - on a late spring day after a rain I will plan on doing it all in one session (I can't bring myself to re-starting once I stop). Dress up in old clothes that can be thrown away. Make sure you have long sleeves (I know of someone who didn't bother with this little detail and paid dearly!!!) and good (but old and not holey) work gloves. Wrap duct tape around the gauntlet of the glove and your sleeves - this area around the wrist is where you will be most exposed. Use a head band so that you will not be tempted to touch your face when you sweat and KEEP TELLING YOURSELF HANDS DOWN!! When you pull, try to lift up the root system and tear it along the ground so that you get out as much as you can. Good luck and happy pullilng. Please remember not to burn the stuff - inhalation of the smoke can kill someone, especially if they are highly allergic they don't even have to be near it. ....

Poison Ivy

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

2000-05-15          16303

Rod,
Along with what has been said, and assuming its summertime, here's another tip.
If you have a swimming pool, taking a dip after this chore helps immensely. I guess the chlorine kills the stuff. I discovered this trick when my boss (in highschool) had a pool installed, and he let us use it after work to cool off. Normally I accepted the fact that I would have Poison rash in at least one or two parts of my body all summer long...no matter how cautious I was. After using the pool everyday.. the rashes disappeared and no new ones appeared. But if I forgot to do this or didn't take the time. I paid..big time!!
As far as killing the stuff. Try using Vinegar..seriously, it works well as a weedkiller on our brick sidwalks, so it might work on poison as well. And besides, my grandmother used to regard the stuff as a do it all household chemical. From stain removal to......... ....

Poison Ivy

View my Photos
Rick Seymour

2000-05-15          16304

Rod, have you considered a small Nuclear Device???
Good luck.

Poison Ivy

View my Photos
Jim Shupp

2000-05-15          16306

Dow makes a product called Confront. Go to dowagro.com and go into turf and check it out. It DOES work, but is not cheap. About a $100-115 a gallon, but it goes a long way, it also works on 35 or so varieties of broad leaf weeds, so you can spray your whole yard with it.This will eliminate it root and all,as one of the other posts says that he does it every 3 years, I on the otherhand would only want to do it once.I have put down alot of this product with good results(that is on the woody type weeds,it is hard to beat a 2,4,d based product on broad leaf weeds, Confront has no 2,4,d)Not to mention I'm lazy. Good luck. ....

Poison Ivy

View my Photos
Chris in IN

2000-05-15          16314

For those of you that get poison ivy rash, my wife found a product that is great. It is called Oak-N-Ivy Brand tecnu Outdoor Skin Cleanser. When growing up on the farm I would get into poison ivy every year. I would get the rash that would then turn into blisters and then I would have to make a trip to the Doctor. After getting married and moving away from the farm I did my best for the last 25 years to avoid poison Ivy.

Well last fall after buying some acreage I could no longer avoid it. I have worked several days clearing brush that was filled with poison ivy. After each days work was done I have washed with the tecnu cleanser. I have only once gotten more than a very slight rash & that was because I continued to were the same belt that I wore while clearing. Even after the major rash broke out & turned into blisters I again washed washed with the cleanser and in 2 days the rash had dried up. Chris ....

Poison Ivy

View my Photos
charlie

2000-05-15          16315

i've use a broad leaf herbicide for many years on my sod fields called trimec.it's a 2-4-d mcpp mix.it does a good job on poison ivy and poision oak.as far as the clorine theroy goes your right.an old country doctor told me years ago to dab clorox on it to dry it up.it worked,but boy did it burn.good luck. ....

Poison Ivy

View my Photos
Jeff Pizzi

2000-05-15          16320

Here in California we have Poison Oak. I've got to say, Just use the Round Up. Pick a day when the winds not blowing, keep the pressure down and be selective and you should be able nuke most of the noxious weed without destroying too much else. This way you'll get the roots, something you're not sure to do by pulling. If you wind up with a rash, use cool water and Boraxo powder to control the itchings. Cleans the oil, and mildly scatchs. Good luck. ....

Poison Ivy

View my Photos
Jim Youtz

2000-05-16          16325

I agree with the previous post. Pulling is a nasty job and probably a waste of time since its very unlikely you will get all of the root. Use Round-Up herbicide on a calm day. You can paint several of the leaves with the chemical using a brush or sponge without getting anything on the grass or any other plant. Round-up does not affect the soil or kill anything unless it makes contact with a green growing leaf. We use this stuff in our forestry nusery to selectively kill weeds in tree seedling pots. It never affects the trees unless you accidently paint them too. For best kill, coat the young new growth on the plant. Also, I don't see why you couldn't use 2-4-d since your main concern is protecting the grass. 2-4-d will not affect grass, only broadleaf plants. You can use 2-4-d by applying to leaves or by cutting the stem and applying to the wound. ....

Poison Ivy

View my Photos
TomG

2000-05-16          16328

Probably not a realistic solution, but borrow a herd of goats. Somebody who kept goats in Oregon told me that goats love to browse on it. They'll clear out a bush lot in no time. ....

Poison Ivy

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-05-16          16333

As a landscaper/contractor who specializes in golf courses, we have tried everything short of a thermo-nuclear device, probably tough on the bent grass. The best, cheapest, sure-fire, non-chemical solution we have found for this is that you can't beat a simple solution......BOILING WATER. A large pot, a propane burner, and a little patience, you will have a lot of dead plants in 2 days. We use a huge stock-pot and some old glass measuring cups, pour a cup or two of (full rolling boil) boiling water on each stem, right where it comes out of the ground, this kills the roots of the plant, in 2 days the plant has withered and died and comes out of the ground easily. This method also makes the chances of a nasty rash a lot less too. Best of luck. ....

Poison Ivy

View my Photos
Paul Elkins

2000-05-17          16344

Whyyyy, whyyyy!!!!!! in the words of Nancy Kerrigan, why does poison ivy and oak and sumak exist. These must be plants from hell. I received the poison ivy curse last year while clearing for a new house. I must be highly alergic to. You must shower with soap after coming into contact with "satan" I wouldn't wish this on but a few people(maybe Bill Clinton and his private parts) and Hitler. ....

Poison Ivy

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

2000-05-17          16356

Blame Eve, She ate the fruit, then............ ....

Poison Ivy

View my Photos
Andy

2000-05-17          16357

I thought Monica ate the fruit............ ....

Poison Ivy

View my Photos
dave g

2000-05-17          16367

while not poison ivy (i think) i have these nasty vines in florida. these things choke out the trees. some are 6" at the base, not kiddin. i cut most of them 2 feet from ground, and the oaks exploded with growth. now the ground is covered in the vines (cut last season). would these remidies work, and any ideas on how to get dead vines out of trees besides yanking? ....

Poison Ivy

View my Photos
Darren

2000-05-18          16385

Take a look at Ortho's "Brush-B-Gon". I've used it for years on poison ivy and it kills the entire plant. The spray can gives you enough range that you can get the hard to reach plants as well including the ones that have grown up trees. . A can costs a couple of bucks.

The stuff foams up where it hits so it's easy to target only the poison ivy and not kill other plants. I check out the new ivy locations as I work around the place each spring and take an hour or two later to spray them all. End of ivy.

Keep in mind the birds will distribute seeds again next year so chances are you'll still see more the next spring. ....

Poison Ivy

View my Photos
Eddie Watkins

2000-05-19          16419

Murf's suggestion of hot water works great. A couple of years ago I was emptying my water heater and I ran a hose out on the lawn. It killed everything and it was immediate. I didn't have to wait a week or two and the water was only about 130 degrees. I don't know how well it works when you are trying to kill something but it sure works when you're not! I haven't made that mistake again. ....

Poison Ivy

View my Photos
Frank R Taylor

2000-05-19          16422

i gave up trying to pull that stuff years ago after I found out how allergic to it I was and it never did any real good anyway because I never could get all the roots out. I spray Brush-Be-Gone, 2,4,D and Roundup although I've never been a big fan of Roundup. I've seen healthy weeds outgrow the killing effects of Roundup because it works so slowly. All that spray gets to be expensive over the course of a year so I'll have to try Murf's hot water treatment. They also make a "Weed Wand" with a hollow handle that you fill with chemical and it has an absorbant tip that you use to wipe the weeds with the killer. It might be OK if you don't want to spray and it's faster than painting the chemical on. Good luck. ....

Poison Ivy

View my Photos
CaseyR

2000-05-23          16554

You have a 15-20 minute grace period to wash off the oil from poison oak. Soap and water should work, but alcohol
might be a little more thorough. The problem with alcohol is that it also removes the oil on the skin which gives a slight
bit of protection to the poison oak and until the oil is replenished you will be slightly more susceptible to getting a rash if you brush against any clothing or pets that have been in the poison oak

From a Lane County, Oregon, web site:

"An ounce of prevention: Smooth on a barrier cream, such as IvyArmor or IvyBlock, which contain chemicals to trap or
block urushiol, preventing it from penetrating the skin. Wear long pants, long sleeves and boots during tromps in the woods.
Launder clothes immediately upon return. Don gloves for yardwork. Wipe garden tools with rubbing alcohol.

Spring is a great time to kill new starts, says Pollyanna Lind of the Eugene-based Northwest Coalition for Alternatives to
Pesticides. Wear protective clothing. Then grub starts out when the soil is soft, getting as much root as possible. Rake up the
plants, bag in plastic and dispose. Do not compost; they'll grow there.

Then keep starts at bay by covering the area with a piece of carpeting and mulch. You need to plant something in its place or
poison oak will re-establish itself. This process may need repeating for a few years.

Wait until leaves have dropped in the fall or winter to deal with larger, more robust poison oak.

Both the coalition and OSU Extension Service suggest fencing the affected area and letting a goat graze there for several
years.

The Extension Service says two herbicides are effective against poison oak: triclotyr and glyphosate. Triclotyr can be
purchased under several trade names, including Crossbow. Use it on a day when the temperature is 70 degrees or cooler.
Glyphosate is also sold under multiple trade names, including Roundup. It is most effective in late summer or fall.

Tip: Roundup kills grass; Crossbow does not."

Poison Ivy

View my Photos
vick12

2004-07-29          92211

What concerns, if any, are there with spot spraying poison ivy with chemicals and the potential for chemical run off affecting a well?

Poison Ivy

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-04          92709

Don't know about goats grazing on it---ours didn't. We used borax used for laundry (had a team of oxen or horses on the front of the box). Just sprinkle it on and voila! ....

Poison Ivy

View my Photos
FERRARI

2004-08-10          93175

No, monica just tasted it ! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login