Go Bottom Go Bottom

Can anyone recommend a good overseeder

View my Photos
Paul Finn
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-04-25          15112

I am looking to start a business of overseeding, aerating and finish mowing. Can anyone recommend some good brands and model #'s for overseeders, aerators and finish mowers. I want to buy good quality equipment and only buy it once. I hhave looked at Landpride overseeders but they appear to be too heavy for my tractor. I am thinking of purchasing a 790 John Deere. Thank you

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

2000-04-27          15134

Paul,
Just rented a push style overseeder made by Bluebird. Seemed to be one of the better units I've seen. The rental place had 100% Landpride 3pt pull-behind units. As for the push style, 75% Bluebird, and 25%....I can't remember the name, but they where an aqua green color. Also looked very durable. I've seen people using some cheap looking units, and these did not fit that category. I am under the impression that the 3pt units require a minimum of 27 or 30hp. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-04-27          15150

I am about to rent a 48" Landpride from my local dealer, I 'll let you know how I like it if the rain ever stops. Most people talk about Landpride as being pretty good equipment. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-04-27          15153

I just noticed we had a good thread on this topic in December at http://jplan.com/cgi-bin/tractor/fullThread.pl?parentnum=11583 ....

Link:   Overseeder versus Core Aerator

View my Photos
Jim Shupp

2000-04-28          15170

As far as 3 point, Landpride is hard to beat.As for a walk behind/self propelled unit you may want to check out a Ryan. I guess you mean a core aerator, I would check out Woods(yes, the mower people)or Millcreek Mfg., they are both nice units, and also Ryan for a small self propelled unit. I have used all equipment mentioned.Re-post if you want more specifics. Good luck ....

View my Photos
Frank Formik

2000-04-28          15188

Paul, I'm a faithfull Befco customer and though I haven't had the need for an overseeder yet, I have seen a strong looking one at the Befco website (see link). I say it's strong because I can see it's based on their tiller frame (I have one) and tthey claim it can actually be transformed into a tiller for a complete turf bed renovation. Good luck!
Frank ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
charlie

2000-04-28          15192

i've had ryan walk-behinds for several years.they are a well built and relieable machine.when it came time to buy a 3 point unit i looked at and tried land pride and olatha.didn't really care for either one.then i looked at a gandy.the seed spacing on the first two was a lot wider than my ryan and the land pride's closing system was a roler like used on a brillion seeder.also the land pride only had 7 seed flutes for a 48 inch pattern.the gandy was just like my ryan mat-away.seed spacing every 2 ihchs and a slit crinper for every spacing.i forgot to mention that gandy builds the seeder that ryan uses on their machine.i'm not saying that the others won't work but i prefer the gandy and the ryan.good luck. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2000-04-30          15231

I just went to my local dealer to check out the overseeder that he has. He rents the Landpride 48" overseeder. According to the dealer this implement requires a 30 hp tractor. If you rent from him he delivers an L3010, this a vastly bigger machine then any of the B series machines. He did say that you just might be able to use a the B2910, but that was the smallest.
I looked at the overseeder they had, they charge $125 per day for the machine plus delivery. It was in good condition, it has what looks like the pattern on bush cutter Blades that are about 3/8 thick by 12" diameter and will make a slice in the ground about 3" long by about 2" deep, the blades are spaced about 6 inches apart and there are about 5 slicers per disk. The net is that you are going to have slices in the turf 6" apart running about 6" apart as you run. The unit has a hopper on top with about seven tubes leading to the disks. The hopper lid has an application rate table for all different types of seed and shows rates in lbs per acre and 1000 sq ft.
There is a single lever that is set to adjust all the tubes at once that has a calibration number that matches the table on the lid. After the turf is sliced and seeded a set of cast iron rollers recompacts the slices.My only concern with is that to create a well seeded look on the lawn you will have to go over this several times at angles, other wise you will just get plugs here and there which is what I have now. Just curious has anyone tried using one of these with the smaller Kubota B series or Deere 4100 +
My Dealer also said that the B series Kubota's would also be too small to run a Harley rake or a soil pulverizer, Does anyone have experience with these implements on the samller machines? ....

View my Photos
Jack in IL

2000-04-30          15237

I have a Woods 48 inch Super Turf Renovator for overseeding. It was too much for a JD4100 but works fine with a JD955. With regard to the Harley Power Box rake, you will see one (60" I think) in use with a B2710 in the current Kubota B2710 brochure. It must work or I don't think they would show it. Steiner offers a 48" Harley rake for use on their power units of 20-24 HP. Also a 48" or 60" soil pulverizer will do just fine on a B2710. Your dealer may only have experience with larger size power box rakes and soil pulverizers and thus might think them too large for a 27 hp tractor. With regard to the need for several passes with the slit type overseeder, yes, this is normal. Usually the second pass is done at about a 30 to 45 degree angle to the first. This creates a diamond pattern when the grass emerges. The diamonds eventually fill in. ....

View my Photos
Paul Finn

2000-04-30          15245

Thanks to all that responded. The wealth of knowledge and real world experience with all types of equipment is amazing. I now have some excellent ideas on where to start looking for equipment. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login