Go Bottom Go Bottom

Drum aerator-spike vs Core Aerator plug

View my Photos
chrisscholz
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-10-23          147269

I have 2-3 acres of lawn (one year old). It is getting compacted and I was given advice to aerate every fall. I need to buy a 60" to 72" aerator. Northern tool has a 50"plug for $125, 60"plug for $199, or 60" drum with spikes, (fill with water) for $350. Any advice? The drum aerators look like they will last longer. Not sure of the bearings on those plug/tine aerators. I could also pull this in my pasture, but unsure how effective any of the three would be with only 2.5"-3" depth. Suggestions?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
crunch
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-10-24          147276

I spent lots of time thinking about core aerators because I had some compaction. I couldn't justify spending lots of money so I eventually bought this (heavy duty) Sears unit for $200. It was painful to buy this unit because I really wanted something heavier and with deeper tines. However, after using it this spring, the compacted area in my lawn thickened right up. You will get 2" plugs that actually come to the surface as if bunch of geese pooped all over your lawn. And I have rocky soil to boot. I was pleasantly surprised.

The reviews are bimodal. Some folks are really happy with this unit and a bunch really hate it. The cheaper lighter weight version actually has better reviews. I decided to go with the heavier duty because of the 200 lb weight tray and it has a 3 year warranty so you can return it. There was some speculation that people who had trouble with broken tines assembled it incorrectly. I had no broken tines when I used it and I was not easy on it.

Link:   Sears Core Aerator

Picture Link
Garden and Landscape Drum aerator-spike vs Core Aerator plug

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-10-24          147283

To remove a plug actually opens the soil with a hole not just compressing it more. Some companies make it so they actually do push out to the side with the slice to leave a hole.
Both help the lawn grow better from what I've seen. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-10-24          147301

Core aeration is waht we use here in heavy clay soils. It leaves a void in the soil to allow oxygen to get to the roots, and a place for water to get into the ground quicker, and if you're fertilizing a pocket for that too.

As they say it's only money, so the more you spend the better it should hold up. I'd search for a bigger, heavier used unit with tines closer together. The Sears version looks like they're spread a bit too far to be really effective. In our area they're spread about 3-4". ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-10-24          147307

EW, on spacing, so can you run 90% to make up for the spacing on the Sears unit? ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-10-24          147308

Translation please. No speaka redneckease.

(Sorry Kenny but I read it and reread it. I got nuthin'.) ....

View my Photos
crunch

2007-10-24          147316

There was another thread on this not long ago started by Dennis - search on "aerator". Dennis - did you ever make a decision on which aerator to buy? Also - my unit does have plastic bushings. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2007-10-25          147339

Been a long time since I lived in the low country so I'm at a loss too, but best I can figure he's trying to say to double up the passes with an overlap so you end up with the same spacing between holes.

Sorta kinda, sumat like dat....... ;)

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Ducati996

2007-10-25          147369

As I answered in a similar thread I find these aerators one of the best made for the price - These are made by Midwest or private labled under another name but its indentical

The pricing is great ....

Link:   Tarheel aerators

View my Photos
chrisscholz

2007-10-26          147418

Ducati, I called Tarheel, and they are out of these, and have switched suppliers. The aerators featured on your link looked great and had nice prices. Where can I find this supplier for Tarheel? They looked like they had good greasable bearings, etc. I am sure there must be good quality 3pt hitch mounted aerators 60" to 72" for $700 to $900 somewhere. Any other suggestions? I have to aerate 4-5 acres, and a 48" aerator will take a while. ....

View my Photos
Ducati996

2007-10-27          147434

I suppose its the busy season for these? Did they mention with the new supplier, is it the same style? IMHO its the style you want, because the drum units stick out farther and less compact in tight areas -plus they look funny :)

The brand that I have is made by Midwest - there should be a few dealers that carry them. However there are others that make the same shape and form (and may be mfg by Midwest for them?)

http://www.corimpco.com/detail.aspx?ID=243

http://ccmachinery.com/compact.htm

http://www.midwestequipment.net/aerators.htm

View my Photos
Ironpeddler

2007-10-27          147435

Take a look at this Kansas State study on Aerating your Lawn. ....

Link:   Aerating Your Lawn- KS Study

Picture Link
Garden and Landscape Drum aerator-spike vs Core Aerator plug

View my Photos
chrisscholz

2007-10-27          147436

Thanks for the info. One advantage of the core aerator-drum style, is that I could weld a hitch to this, and pull it behind my 1951 willys jeep. The tractor is very handy, but sometimes the smooth ride of the jeep is more fun when you have lots to do.

View my Photos
chrisscholz

2007-10-27          147446

Thanks for the info. One advantage of the core aerator-drum style, is that I could weld a hitch to this, and pull it behind my 1951 willys jeep. The tractor is very handy, but sometimes the smooth ride of the jeep is more fun when you have lots to do.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login