Go Bottom Go Bottom

AMDRO Ant Block - does it work

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-06-22          131231

They've really been pushing AMDRO ant block on radio commercials around here and it has me interested. This time of year we always have a problem with ants finding their way into our house. They crawl up the foundation wall and under the sheathing into the walls. Little piles of cellulose insulation mark the paths where they come in. In past years I've sprayed Diazinon around the base wall and after a 4-6 week battle the ants become scarce. I'm thinking of trying this Amdro bait stuff. Has anyone else used it?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
FrogLick
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-06-22          131237

I used Amdro granules on fire ant mounds when I lived in Texas and it worked well. I'd say it would be worth a try. ....

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-06-22          131238

Ken, I have been using Amdro on fire ants with mixed results. On some ant mounds the ants will pickup the granuals and take them inside the mounds and the mound is wiped out in about a week or so. On other mounds the ants just ignore the granuals. It works, but not always. On the stubborn ant mounds I use Orthene WP or you can just sprinkle the powder on the mound. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-06-22          131253

I picked up a bottle today and sprinkled some around the affected areas. After awhile the ants picked some granules up and started moving them around. Maybe it will work. I've learned one thing - don't believe the info published by the cellulose insulation folks when they say it's treated with Borax to resist insects. The ants around here happily set up colonies in cellulose and make themselves right at home. ....

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-06-22          131254

I have used it it is about the same a the rest of the junk they sell. It will kill the mound that it is applied to but another mound will pop up 10' away. Is it the same ants I dont know. Maybe I will ask one of the little red devils. Do they make tracking collers that size? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-07-03          131655

It's been about 10 days since I sprinkled Amdro around the perimeter of the house. Definitely mixed results. Some of the mounds appear to be dead but others have lots of activity. It's galling to see the ants crawling over the Amdro granules day after day ignoring them. I guess it's back to Diazinon spray and some direct action. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2006-07-03          131656

Ken, try the Orthene WP or Orthene 97 mixed at the maximum concentration. I mixed mine up about double to triple strength. It is VERY effective on ants and especially fire ants. I have had very good results with it. It works best if you can find the ant mound and soak the mound area and down deep in the soil. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-07-03          131657

Ken,

Is the Amdro product a Block or a Bait? I was thinking their product is a Bait.

I think when you find a mound within 10 or so feet on fire ants popping up it is the same mount. No tracking collars needed. It may be a new hatching but you need to kill the live ants and the eggs. That is why a bait is suppose to be best or a product that really floods the mound.

There are some reasonbily new powders that you sprinkle over the mound without water that does good. I have also had good success (not a term often used with fire ants) with the product they advertise as last all season which means 2 to 3 months. I have used two or three different brands and had about the same success with each. At this moment there was one brand we had the best success with but really not sure now which it was. It was the brand Sam's sold if that helps.

I by more accident than anything else found out a couple of ounces of malathon not diluted poured directly into the mounds works very fast and seems to be as good as anything else. I don't think you are where you will find the product but if you do ask for tobacco bed dust. It is labelled in some states for fireants but not in all. It is very dangerous and seriously do not haul inside your vechile. Put in bed of pickup or such and do not store in you house. You can smell it in brand new containter. It is strong. Just sprinkle that over the mound and it normally takes care of it. There are some brands of a powder that is sort of like this but not as strong that Wal Mart sells as does Lowes and Home Depot.

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-07-03          131659

Amdro is a bait. They claim results should happen in a week, but it's been 10 days on one mound with no reduction in activity yet. I think this is the mound that is the source of ants that are coming into the house so it's extra frustrating. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2006-07-26          132660

It definately depends on the ant and his lunch habbits.

Once in a while I will use the natural pesticide technique with the fire ants. I scoop a few ants from a hill near another hill and add it to the top and do the same with the other. The resulting war usually wipes out one or the other or both. This cuts down on the bait used.

Often there are hills less than ten feet apart. You kill of the big mount and the small hill takes the territory. ....

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-07-26          132673

Peters

Maybe you should work for the UN? Take a few from here and chunk them over there and let them have at it. What a concept. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2006-07-26          132678

It would only work if they would all fight to the death like the ants and stupid enough to fight for a small piece of turf, a hill, to the death.

But we in the south can model geopolitical conflicts in the backyard and pasture after all most of the terrorists and politicians aren't much smarter than the fire ants. ....

View my Photos
JasonR

2006-07-26          132685

While I haven't used it on fire ants, I haven't seen anything that Ficam-W doesn't kill. I gave some to a friend of mine once, and he claims the neighbors cat got into it and died...

Ooops - I just found out that it's not being made anymore - see the attached link for some substitues. (Must have been too potent.)

Jason ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-07-26          132690

The AMDRO seems to have (mostly) worked. We had a bunch of ants crawling around the house foundation and into the walls (and invading the house). One day we must have killed 50 ants in the house. The AMDRO took a couple of weeks but it seems to have knocked the activity down by about 80%. Diazinon took care of the rest. No ants for a couple of weeks now. ....

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-07-26          132691

Diazinon is still on the market, in what form? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-07-26          132699

When they banned Diazinon I bought a few gallons. Heck, I wish they'd bring back Chlordane - that stuff really worked! ....

View my Photos
Murf

2006-07-27          132700

A neighbour of mine up at the lake had an ant problem, his land is moist and sandy and had a lot of dead trees lying around.

I had a real chuckle over his "environmentally responsible" cure.

He bought a couple of rolls of that clear shipping tape, and ranit around the foundation of his cabin, sticky side out. He tacked it in place with a staple gun, overlapping the edges and a few widths side by side.

When an ant tries to cross it it gets stuck in place and can't go any farther. When a particular area got covered he just cut it out and replaced it with some new pieces. After whole summer it was still sticky.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-07-27          132703

Murf, that sounds pretty clever. It probably wouldn't work here even if it could be stapled into the concrete foundation. There is too much dust during the summer from the gravel road. I put some of that sticky stuff on the corbel brackets around the house to keep birds from crapping on the porch and deck and it got covered with dust and lost it's stickum in about two weeks. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2006-07-27          132707

I was speaking with a client today, I recalled him saying in the past that they had a ant problem because of a neighbour who had a lot of scrap wood and bark stacked up.

Although it would be tough on vegetation, his cure was to thoroughly saturate a strip of ground along the fence line with a strong CaCl mixture, like what is used on dirt roads for dust control.

He didn't do it originally as a pesticide, he wanted to stop the vegetation from growing along the fence, but soon discovered the ants wouldn't cross it either.

Sort of a scorched earth type of deal.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login